GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Assist in purchase of GX470

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-14, 12:17 PM
greekguy66
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Assist in purchase of GX470

Hello Everyone!

First time posting here. I'm a newbie for posting here so go ahead and beat me up.

I currently have a '98 4Runner and it has over 150K miles with no issues.
As much as it would be nice to get a newer 4Runner, I prefer the look and ride of the GX470 more. I'm looking to purchase a 2007-2009 soon.

I'm hoping I can get some advice to assist me with my purchase. I'm sorry if I'm asking some questions that may have been asked before, but I did try searching out the answers first before making this post.
  • Are there any issues or concerns anyone would have on purchasing a GX470 with over 100k miles other than maintenance?
  • It is difficult to find a used GX470 in my area with KDSS. For those that don't have it, are you happy with your ride regardless?
  • Even though the GX470 with KDSS may be preferred by many does it become one of those things that you can kick yourself for not getting one with? Or do you not think about it?
  • Can I expect the same reliability out of a GX470 as I have from a 3rd Generation 4Runner?
  • How long have you owned your GX470 for and how many miles does it have now?
  • I'm looking to put at least 100k miles on whatever GX470 I purchase. I tend to keep my rides for a long time. I thought of getting a GX460, but I prefer the look of the GX470 more.

Thanks ahead of time to your replies.

VK
Old 02-21-14, 12:58 PM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just replaced 3rd gen T4R with the GX470, about 2 months ago... well, not really a 'replacement', since I'm still driving the 4Runner every day. (it's been a horrible winter here in Chicago area)
Welcome!

I haven't been hanging out here for too long, but seems like a great crowd.

I paid premium to get a GX with miles in the 50k range(with KDSS). I really wanted to spend less and higher miles, but since the truck was going to be the family hauler, I spent the extra, with extended warranty for next 4 years, so I won't have to fork out big cash if something happened while I still have the payments.

I only drove the GX maybe about three times since I got it... my wife won't fork over the keys, but when I do drive it, I drive like I'm driving my Supra... I love the KDSS.

I've seen people complain about the cracked dash, rear air spring issue, but other than that, I think these trucks will go 2-300k miles without major issues.

Here's one thread about 100k+ GX:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-reliable.html
Old 02-21-14, 01:51 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Read 5 or 6 pages deep into the threads and you'll get a good idea of the problems GX owners encounter.

One thing you really must do before closing the deal on a GX is register the perspective GX at mylexus.com. O.K., you have to fib and say you own that GX, but hey, maybe you WILL be the owner! When you register and put in the VIN, you can see all the Lexus dealer servicing the GX has had over its' lifetime. Personally, I would not buy a GX that had not had regular dealer servicing. This is a 'big ticket' purchase and there are so many GX's that have been pampered from birth that it doesn't make sense to buy one that was neglected.

I've owned my 2004 GX since November 2013 and I would not trade it for any other vehicle - even though the transfer case is dripping gear oil all over my driveway. 108,000 miles on it and I expect it to go to 300,000 before I call for the hook to take it away.
Old 02-21-14, 01:57 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by greekguy66
Hello Everyone!

First time posting here. I'm a newbie for posting here so go ahead and beat me up.

I currently have a '98 4Runner and it has over 150K miles with no issues.
As much as it would be nice to get a newer 4Runner, I prefer the look and ride of the GX470 more. I'm looking to purchase a 2007-2009 soon.

I'm hoping I can get some advice to assist me with my purchase. I'm sorry if I'm asking some questions that may have been asked before, but I did try searching out the answers first before making this post.
  • Are there any issues or concerns anyone would have on purchasing a GX470 with over 100k miles other than maintenance?
    1. Check the dash for cracks.
    2. Check the radiator for leaks.
    3. Check the suspension. Make sure there are no raising / lowering issues.
    4. Check for the drive link clunk. Most should've been fixed by now
    5. Run the VIN here: http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
  • It is difficult to find a used GX470 in my area with KDSS. For those that don't have it, are you happy with your ride regardless?
    • Perfectly happy without KDSS. Even before I installed coilovers I was happy with it's onroad manners.
  • Even though the GX470 with KDSS may be preferred by many does it become one of those things that you can kick yourself for not getting one with? Or do you not think about it?
    • I'm not kicking myself. I had the opportunity to buy 3 Sport Packages w/ KDSS but passed them up because they didn't come in white.
  • Can I expect the same reliability out of a GX470 as I have from a 3rd Generation 4Runner?
    • Can't say since I never owned a 3rd gen 4Runner but it's Toyota reliable.
  • How long have you owned your GX470 for and how many miles does it have now?
    • It will be 2yrs. next month / Almost 130K miles.
  • I'm looking to put at least 100k miles on whatever GX470 I purchase. I tend to keep my rides for a long time. I thought of getting a GX460, but I prefer the look of the GX470 more.
    • The 2UZ-FE engine can go for many thousands of miles. There's a 1st gen Tundra owner (same engine as our GX) with over 740K miles on the original engine & transmission.

Thanks ahead of time to your replies.

VK
A few I found doing a quick search:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...countered.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-problems.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-06-gx470.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...e-trigger.html

Here's the link if you want to browse through more:
https://www.google.com/search?q=gx47...x-a&channel=sb

Good luck in your search.
Old 02-21-14, 02:21 PM
greekguy66
Driver

Thanks for the replies to everyone.

@RCsGX - I hear ya about the white. That is my favorite color. Silver would be my choice if I was getting a GX with KDSS.
Old 02-21-14, 02:36 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Certainly not deal breakers but worth checking:

Is the owners manual in the truck? (It's BIG - really BIG)
Is the wheel lock "key' in the vehicle (stowed next to the jack)?
How many keys are you getting with the vehicle? Smart keys are expensive.
Is the tool kit complete?
Is the first aid kit present?
Is there a spare tire under the truck?

Try to knock some bucks off the price if any of these are missing.
Old 02-21-14, 02:43 PM
greekguy66
Driver

Sounds like good advice to me. Thanks!

Funny thing that you mention the spare tire. I remember once looking to buy a truck that had it missing and the owner felt it was not required to go with the truck. LOL
Old 02-21-14, 02:55 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I just bought a 09 GX after owning a second gen 4runner for 23 yeARS. Now we have 3 Lexus in the family and after about a month of driving it, I don't know why I waited so long. Granted there will be issues that come up, this is a very nice ride. I had almost 300k on the 4runner and can see this vehicle easily doing that. I am a freak with maintenance and love how easy Lexus vehicles are to work on. After I mastered the tranny fluid change wit these so called sealed trannies, I am comfortable doing just about anything with them. Good luck and hope you get the one you want.
Old 02-21-14, 03:08 PM
greekguy66
Driver

Thanks Burny!
Old 02-21-14, 03:15 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 470reasons
Certainly not deal breakers but worth checking:

Is the owners manual in the truck? (It's BIG - really BIG)
Is the wheel lock "key' in the vehicle (stowed next to the jack)?
How many keys are you getting with the vehicle? Smart keys are expensive.
Is the tool kit complete?
Is the first aid kit present?
Is there a spare tire under the truck?

Try to knock some bucks off the price if any of these are missing.
Just a few more to add to 470reasons' list:
- Does it have the RSES (Rear Seat Entertainment System) option? If so check for the remote.
- Does it have the cargo net?
- Does it have the 3rd row seats? Seems silly but I've seen a few that didn't have them.
- Does it have the cargo cover if it didn't originally come with the 3rd row seats?

See here on how to tell if it came w/ 3rd row seats vs a cargo cover:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...er-anyone.html
Old 02-21-14, 03:31 PM
greekguy66
Driver

Actually the one thing I have noticed about the third row seat (from checking a few GX470s out) is the middle headrest was missing on the ones I have seen. Is everyone using them for frisbees?
Old 02-21-14, 03:37 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by greekguy66
Actually the one thing I have noticed about the third row seat (from checking a few GX470s out) is the middle headrest was missing on the ones I have seen. Is everyone using them for frisbees?
It's probably not missing but in the zipper part in the back of the seat. That's where you're suppose to put it when not in use.
Old 02-21-14, 03:43 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

The Middle headrest will VERY LIKELY be stowed inside the back of the right hand third row seat. Its obtrusive and totally in the way when its installed in the seat, so there is a little flap that unzips and it is stored in there from the factory. Most people never have three people in the back, or even know its there, so that chances are good it will still be there.

Drove me nuts for the longest time, and I ended up checking the internet for prices on the middle headrest, until I discovered that it was just stored inside the seat!
Old 02-21-14, 03:44 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

what these 2 doods said. it is in that zipper compartment right there
Old 02-21-14, 03:53 PM
greekguy66
Driver

I have noticed that on some GXs the Rear Seat Entertainment System is in the headrest and for some one installed in the headliner by the dome light. Is it different because of the year made or is it one is aftermarket and one OEM?

Quick Reply: Assist in purchase of GX470