GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Vaistech SL3b

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-17, 06:45 AM
erkelbot
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vaistech SL3b

I've been struggling with this for a long while now. I bought my 05 GX back in May of last year, and for the most part I love it. If I had to do it all over again, I would have been really diligent to find one without the Mark Levinson system. But c'est la vie. Since I had some pre-existing sound land mines to work around with the ML system, I decided to install a retrofit BT adapter and went with the Vaistech SL3b. It had really everything that I wanted, and only involved eliminating the MD changer.

A bit more about my listening habits and streaming device: I use an iPhone 7 with up-to-date software, and stream Pandora One.

So what's my gripe? The experience sucks when getting in and out of the car. The moment I get into the car, local music starts playing -- the same song every time. If I delete that song, the same thing happens with the next song...over and over and over... I've toggled cellular data off for the music application and iTunes. Yet still, the music app hijacks the sound and always defaults open. Sometimes when I'm listening to Pandora and I stop to interact with my phone involving the microphone (directions, siri, talk to call, etc...) the sound gets hijacked back to the music app again. I then have to stop the music app and switch back over to Pandora. And it doesn't matter if it's Pandora or not...it does the same thing with Amazon music. I've worked with Apple extensively and they don't have an answer either...it's a crap chute.

When I was thinking about how I curb this behavior, I thought there were three options. 1) Delete all source media so the music app has nothing to play. 2) Delete the music app altogether. 3) Use Apple Music. Since I could care less about the music app, I decided to go that route and it did stop the music from playing, but with one major drawback. It eliminated my ability to use the steering wheel controls. That's a biggie. So I decided to remove all local media files that can auto-play. That again disrupted the maddening replay issue, but it again eliminated my ability to use the steering wheel controls. I have not moved onto step 3, and I found the least annoying song in my library to auto-play as an interim fix until I get this sorted out more permanently.

That leaves me believing that Vaistech designed these devices to use the coding in the music app to broadcast sound and use the steering wheel controls. Essentially the device prompts the music app to play (and keep playing), but superimposes the sound of your choice through your speakers. That would be fine, but the autoplay issue and consistent interruption is simple unacceptable. I reached out to Vaistech and they stated they've seen this issue before, but offered not solution other than to swap out the unit for a tethered option that does not have bluetooth. Thanks for virtually nothing. They also don't have any updated firmware that resolves the issue. That tells me that they recognize this design flaw with apple devices and that this hack approach is not a fixable issue.

My question to the group is this: Has anyone with an apple device had success with BT streaming with the Vaistech unit? If so, which device?

Oh, and if I had it to do over again, I would either buy a tape adapter or a Grom. I've heard good things about them, though I will note I haven't invested that much time researching them.
Old 01-27-17, 12:28 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by erkelbot
I've been struggling with this for a long while now. I bought my 05 GX back in May of last year, and for the most part I love it. If I had to do it all over again, I would have been really diligent to find one without the Mark Levinson system. But c'est la vie. Since I had some pre-existing sound land mines to work around with the ML system, I decided to install a retrofit BT adapter and went with the Vaistech SL3b. It had really everything that I wanted, and only involved eliminating the MD changer.

A bit more about my listening habits and streaming device: I use an iPhone 7 with up-to-date software, and stream Pandora One.

So what's my gripe? The experience sucks when getting in and out of the car. The moment I get into the car, local music starts playing -- the same song every time. If I delete that song, the same thing happens with the next song...over and over and over... I've toggled cellular data off for the music application and iTunes. Yet still, the music app hijacks the sound and always defaults open. Sometimes when I'm listening to Pandora and I stop to interact with my phone involving the microphone (directions, siri, talk to call, etc...) the sound gets hijacked back to the music app again. I then have to stop the music app and switch back over to Pandora. And it doesn't matter if it's Pandora or not...it does the same thing with Amazon music. I've worked with Apple extensively and they don't have an answer either...it's a crap chute.

When I was thinking about how I curb this behavior, I thought there were three options. 1) Delete all source media so the music app has nothing to play. 2) Delete the music app altogether. 3) Use Apple Music. Since I could care less about the music app, I decided to go that route and it did stop the music from playing, but with one major drawback. It eliminated my ability to use the steering wheel controls. That's a biggie. So I decided to remove all local media files that can auto-play. That again disrupted the maddening replay issue, but it again eliminated my ability to use the steering wheel controls. I have not moved onto step 3, and I found the least annoying song in my library to auto-play as an interim fix until I get this sorted out more permanently.

That leaves me believing that Vaistech designed these devices to use the coding in the music app to broadcast sound and use the steering wheel controls. Essentially the device prompts the music app to play (and keep playing), but superimposes the sound of your choice through your speakers. That would be fine, but the autoplay issue and consistent interruption is simple unacceptable. I reached out to Vaistech and they stated they've seen this issue before, but offered not solution other than to swap out the unit for a tethered option that does not have bluetooth. Thanks for virtually nothing. They also don't have any updated firmware that resolves the issue. That tells me that they recognize this design flaw with apple devices and that this hack approach is not a fixable issue.

My question to the group is this: Has anyone with an apple device had success with BT streaming with the Vaistech unit? If so, which device?

Oh, and if I had it to do over again, I would either buy a tape adapter or a Grom. I've heard good things about them, though I will note I haven't invested that much time researching them.
I have a 2004 gx470 with mark levenson and navigation and rear entertainment center. In my install you do not lose the cd player at all it just added a new screen for md [ multi disk ] In order for the BT to work I turn on radio AM Then press the disk button on the dash and it will then select either dvd entertainment player or cd or md you choose which one from the disk dash button. The only issue I have is you have to make your play lists by number ie 1 2 3 4 etc Each playlist can play up to 999 songs and you have the ability to load 10 playlists.

The 2004 GX did not come with phone blue tooth and the slb3 is only for blue tooth for music . The only issue there is you must start the sequence when you want to listen to audio is start it on AM then press the disk button till you get to the MD mode.. If I want Pandora I have to load it after the MD connects to the phone. Then if I want to use my play list turn off Pandora The default is always the music on the I phone
Old 01-27-17, 12:45 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I forgot to mention I am using a iphone 6 and I also have iphone 7 both work fine.
Old 01-27-17, 03:15 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

This doesn't happen on Android, at least I've never experienced it. In Android, you can choose which app is your default music player. You might want to see if your iPhone has a setting to default Pandora as your primary music player. As far as the hijacking goes, I'm not sure how to deal with that.
Old 01-29-17, 02:49 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Not that this helps you, but VaisTech seem to have a whole lot of firmware type issues and aren't keeping up.
I would start with a phone call to them.

On my GX, I have a Grom which I would also not recommend but does the basics okay.

I have installed all sorts of retrofit smartphone adapters for car stereos over the years, and they all seem to have issues once you get outside of using the phone to control the software. That's why I personally prefer just something like a AUX headphone jack.

FWIW, I have a "ghetto" BlueTooth Fm Broadcaster in my Lexus LS, and and an older iPad mini tablet where I download podcasts. The combination works great. As soon as a I start it up, it synchs right to my podcast software "Overcast" and I am able to pause and play with the module without touching the tablet. It goes right where I leave off.

Somehow a generic $40 adapter is able to do this and work great but the expensive ones all seem to have issues.
Old 01-30-17, 11:33 AM
erkelbot
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's such a terrible interface with Apple's iOS, and to be honest I think Vaistech shares the blame with Apple. They shouldn't have programmed something that rests on the laurels of Apple's programming, and Apple should't hold people hostage to using their apps by default. You cannot change the default media player in iOS. If I had to do it again, I would have gone the ghetto route and picked a frequency like 88.5 (one that Griffin tech was notorious for using back in the day).

For additional context, my device is autoplaying music that doesn't exist on my phone. Sounds weird, but I have turned off all automatic downloads, and removed all media local to the phone. When I am in wifi and I turn on my truck (at home), it automatically starts playing songs I had downloaded in the past but ones that aren't currently on my phone. I also have iTunes turned off for Music and all other functions as far as automatic download are concerned. Apple is stating that the permissions are being overridden by the BT device (Vaistech). Seems far fetched to me... That is basically saying the bluetooth receiver is telling the phone to get it apple music app content, and then -- against the will of iOS -- it's downloading or streaming to the device. Me thinks iOS is screwed up and buggy with this interface for some reason...

Either way, I would caution anyone thinking of getting the Vaistech solution to go a different route. It's maddening.
Old 02-17-17, 05:01 AM
allwheels
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had similar issues with my 06 w/ Levinson. If the local music or "purchased" starts going first, which doesn't every time, but occasionally, I need to pause it, then force whatever other app i'm trying to use to play. Then its good to go. I typically use Spotify when i'm doing bluetooth audio. I have an iphone 6. And maybe this will make you feel better, but I also have a 2016 ES that will do the same thing, with playing the local music first. So I wish it were easier to set up a protocol for this stuff, but it is what it is. Just gotta learn how to get around it.
Old 02-17-17, 07:11 PM
levinsoy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same issues as the SL3b always reverted to the same song and I never could quite figure out why. On my 06 GS300 with NAV and ML, I had the older VaisTech SL2i-up unit and it worked perfectly. Last year I tried to upgrade to the SL3b and the audio bluetooth worked fine but my built in bluetooth handsfree unit started to intermittently work so I had to go back to what I had earlier. My local car audio shop tried everything to get the vaistech bluetooth unit to work without any success (new units, on phone with VaisTech customer support), I even upgraded from an iPhone 5s to an iPhone 6s and no dice as same issues. And when Apple released iOS 10 and I installed it on my phone, that is when my factory bluetooth handsfree unit started to have issues so I decided to get what I have on my 04 GX470 (NAV and ML)...the USA SPEC BT-45TOY Bluetooth phone and bluetooth audio unit and I absolutely love it. In the 5 months I have had it in both cars, I maybe had one time where it did not work but after turning off the car and the phone everything was fine. Good luck!!!
Old 03-25-18, 09:36 AM
RXinBKLN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple Mode

Here is the install/operation manual:

https://www.vaistech.com/download/11402/

I have found that switching to Simple Mode solves this completely. The unit merely acts as a BT streaming device and doesn't try to interact with the iOS device at all. Simple Mode can be switched on by hitting your RANDom button eight (8) times within two (2) seconds.
Old 08-26-18, 11:23 PM
MartinLoga
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXinBKLN
Here is the install/operation manual:

https://www.vaistech.com/download/11402/

I have found that switching to Simple Mode solves this completely. The unit merely acts as a BT streaming device and doesn't try to interact with the iOS device at all. Simple Mode can be switched on by hitting your RANDom button eight (8) times within two (2) seconds.
You totally saved my VAIS SL3b-L from being thrown out. The other folks who said to call VAIS, that would have worked also. But like most guys, we don't like asking for directions when driving.. enough said.. I would have duly benefited from asking VAIS directly.. the owners manual was golden..thank you to the original poster with the link.

However, I would say that I took a logical approach and first tried my iPhone on my M4, which was working properly and changing songs without streaming or making skipping forward/back unequivocally not work--so I knew VAIS was at fault. The previous poster made a slight unintentional mistake, but it's not the "Random" button you hit. It's "Put your device in Simple Mode by rapidly pressing the [SCAN] button 8 times which (MUST BE DONE WITHIN 2 SECONDS). To the guy earlier, I feel your pain. I stopped my all data options that were possible.. this was not the issue, nor iTunes Match which I thought was a culprit when I set up my phone. Like you, I was pissed after putting my whole collection of songs on my phone, only to find it unusable--its a setting mismatch from android to iPhone is the only suspect to name guilty. Hope this helps slay a few dragons for your music library by putting those songs back intact.
Old 08-26-18, 11:25 PM
MartinLoga
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by erkelbot

Please see my post below. Hoped to have solved this problem, totally with you on the feeling of despair.
Old 08-27-18, 04:53 AM
ShellyGX
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Another positive vote for the BT45 TOY here. 2004 GX 470 with ML and it has been seamless
Old 12-01-20, 02:50 PM
corydamme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MartinLoga
You totally saved my VAIS SL3b-L from being thrown out. The other folks who said to call VAIS, that would have worked also. But like most guys, we don't like asking for directions when driving.. enough said.. I would have duly benefited from asking VAIS directly.. the owners manual was golden..thank you to the original poster with the link.

However, I would say that I took a logical approach and first tried my iPhone on my M4, which was working properly and changing songs without streaming or making skipping forward/back unequivocally not work--so I knew VAIS was at fault. The previous poster made a slight unintentional mistake, but it's not the "Random" button you hit. It's "Put your device in Simple Mode by rapidly pressing the [SCAN] button 8 times which (MUST BE DONE WITHIN 2 SECONDS). To the guy earlier, I feel your pain. I stopped my all data options that were possible.. this was not the issue, nor iTunes Match which I thought was a culprit when I set up my phone. Like you, I was pissed after putting my whole collection of songs on my phone, only to find it unusable--its a setting mismatch from android to iPhone is the only suspect to name guilty. Hope this helps slay a few dragons for your music library by putting those songs back intact.
THIS TOTALLY WORKED!!!

I wanted to update this thread so that I can confirm this worked for me (hit the SCAN button 8 times within 2 seconds). The unit in Simple Mode suits me much better than the Advanced mode. My issue was that the same song would play but only for 20 seconds before starting over. Not sure if anyone else on the thread had this problem, but it was not pleasant. I could not get any music to play for more than 20 seconds before it would revert to a song I did not select and I did not want to hear and even that song would restart every 20 seconds! Infuriating!!!

FYI - my audio installer returned my call and he also suggested that if you do not have a Playlist defined in your iPhone (which I did not) this can also cause issues with iOS and the SL3b. I put my unit in simple mode AND defined a playlist in my Apple Music app (just in case it decides to revert to a previous setting).