GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Looking to make the GX470 more capable in snow, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-17, 09:07 PM
dkpnkc
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

K02's on mine and so far so good - but this is my first winter with this GX. I'm happy and they look great - and I was surprised on how quiet / smooth they are overall. Wish I had this option of tire when I owned my Tacoma 4x4 TRD a few years back.
Old 01-06-17, 10:30 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Listers
Well I guess I should mention that I also need to drive on the highway to get to work the rest of the year and dont want the cost of a 2nd set of tires, but it is a good suggestion thank you
If you think safety in winter driving you gotta have a set of winter tires. There is difference between AT tires and winter tires. When you have two sets of tires, you are not going to need new tires compared to one tire set only. Initial investment is thee but it is worth. My fastop the vehiclemily has 4 cars. all AWD type, they all have two sets of tires/rims. I switch over myself at home. Hove good floor jack and air tools. Can take care of TPMS relearning with Techstream. There is new type of tires call all weather tire which is neither good in summer nor winter. Winter tires for winter, summer tires for summer that's it. 'Contradicting idea, I want safe driving in winter without dedicated tires.' Best advantage of winter tire is good improved traction in snow and when stopping. Matter of vehicle height is when
you go off-roading.
Old 01-07-17, 07:00 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
If you think safety in winter driving you gotta have a set of winter tires. There is difference between AT tires and winter tires. When you have two sets of tires, you are not going to need new tires compared to one tire set only. Initial investment is thee but it is worth. My fastop the vehiclemily has 4 cars. all AWD type, they all have two sets of tires/rims. I switch over myself at home. Hove good floor jack and air tools. Can take care of TPMS relearning with Techstream. There is new type of tires call all weather tire which is neither good in summer nor winter. Winter tires for winter, summer tires for summer that's it. 'Contradicting idea, I want safe driving in winter without dedicated tires.' Best advantage of winter tire is good improved traction in snow and when stopping. Matter of vehicle height is when
you go off-roading.
Curious if you've ever tried a severe winter rated (snowflake symbol) AT tire like the Goodyear Duratracs before coming to this conclusion? I've found they make dedicated winter tires completely redundant and unnecessary on the 4 SUV's I've ran them on. I'm a guy that runs dedicated summer and winter tires on my cars, but for trucks/SUV's I've changed my ways.
Old 01-08-17, 06:57 PM
NMBruce
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe in true winter tires, 2 - 3 years ago I had a 2013 JKUR, Goodyear Duratrac, maybe 30% worn. Had a large snow fall here, the Duratrac's did good, but I put on the true snow tires that where about 50% worn, they where great, better traction and would stop in about 60% of what the Duratracs would.
This year I am driving with new Cepek Fun County and they are OK, but I have to plan my stops earlier, looking forward to new Cooper Weather-Master WSC snow tires next year, got my stock GX wheels waiting.

Last edited by NMBruce; 01-08-17 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-08-17, 07:08 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

I agree, getting through deep snow is easier than dealing with the day to day, wet, frozen, slushy, hard packed snow. That's where the winter tire sticks, especially as temps plummet, I have Michelin defender LTX/MS, but I have vredestein wintrac 4 extreme mounted on 4 runner wheels for the winter. They should be good for 30K miles which will get me through 5 to 7 winters.
Old 12-26-18, 09:32 AM
Wizardry
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Between living in VT and NY, I can say that the only way to improve road handling in snow and ice is to get snow tires - ideally a step narrower if you plan on having a spare set of wheels too. My GX has a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks 265/65/17. The last thing you want is a lifted truck; as much as I love my GX, if I'm honest with myself, my old Subaru couldn't be beat for driving in rough weather.
The following users liked this post:
Rygar470 (01-02-19)
Old 12-26-18, 01:48 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardry
Between living in VT and NY, I can say that the only way to improve road handling in snow and ice is to get snow tires - ideally a step narrower if you plan on having a spare set of wheels too. My GX has a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks 265/65/17. The last thing you want is a lifted truck; as much as I love my GX, if I'm honest with myself, my old Subaru couldn't be beat for driving in rough weather.
i agree, used to have an Audi A4 with a manual trans....winter tire and the car was unbelievable in the snow...the truck is unstoppable in deep snow...but the height and weight made it difficult to drive when the road starts to twist.