GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Dash replacement in Canada (NOT!!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-16, 01:31 PM
rstl99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash replacement in Canada (NOT!!)

I'm glad for all the GX owners in the USA who are getting free dash replacements (and other Lexus models) because of the cracking. In Canada, it's unfortunately a different story.

I bought a 2004 GX about 4 months ago in Canada, though the GX originated in Texas for the first few years of its life. Mine has cracked and been repaired by the PO (through a car upholstery repairman) but there are still cracks.

When I asked the Lexus dealer up here about dash replacement, he said he had never heard about the replacement program in the US and that no such plan existed in Canada. And he said replacing the dash would be an expensive proposition because it is very labour-intensive yadayada.

I called Lexus Canada head office, and they say they cannot look up my VIN because it's not a truck sold in Canada. They said there is no dash replacement policy in Canada, and also profess ignorance about what Lexus USA has been doing in this regard. And he suggested I talk to my local dealer (pass the buck!).

One thing the Lexus support person told me made me quite frustrated: he said, in a very condescending manner, that there was a reason why the different recall policies were different in Canada and the US, because "everything about the trucks is different, all the parts are different specifications, ...". I told him "you gotta be kidding me, you believe that Lexus in Japan put different types of leather seats, different types of vinyl dash material, etc., when they build the GX's in Japan destined for US or Canada???" I know we have slightly different regulations up here about running lights, maybe seatbelts, emissions, whatever, but dash material?? He wouldn't be swayed from his official party line.

Anyway, sorry, just needed to vet. Consider yourselves lucky in the USA to have a Lexus company that seems to treat its customers with more respect than the Lexus company up here.
Sigh...
Old 10-07-16, 01:38 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Your location shows as NY, maybe talk to a Lexus dealer stateside, as it's a US truck and all? If you're living in Canada now it's not the most convenient, but you need to play by their rules it would appear. Or try another dealer in Canada if you have one near.
Old 10-07-16, 05:19 PM
rstl99
Driver School Candidate

There's a glitch in my location, I'm really up in Canada.
No US Lexus dealer within easy drive of where I live.
Anyway, different rules for our two countries when it comes to dash replacements, which is too bad.
Old 10-07-16, 09:25 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rstl99
There's a glitch in my location, I'm really up in Canada.
No US Lexus dealer within easy drive of where I live.
Anyway, different rules for our two countries when it comes to dash replacements, which is too bad.
Temperature being the reason for cracking I believe, I'm sure the local Canadian trucks won't be having this problem that's why Lexus didn't have the enhancement program in Canada.
Old 10-08-16, 06:35 AM
rstl99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
Temperature being the reason for cracking I believe, I'm sure the local Canadian trucks won't be having this problem that's why Lexus didn't have the enhancement program in Canada.
You probably have a point there. Though I do see many North-East US trucks being fitted with the dashes on the forums.
Anyway, more of a market to protect in the US with this "good-will" program, I suppose. A lot more Lexus's are sold down there than are up here (though there are a pile of them on the roads here too, especially the RX's).
Old 10-08-16, 09:06 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1

FWIW, my 2004 GX is an Arizona car we bought new, and I have had zero issues with the dash. The car has though been garaged.

I would think Canada would be the last place there were issues, and my guess is very few Canadian owners had complaints so Lexus didn't extend it to that region.

I get that it sucks, but at some point, I think a manufacturer is allowed to no longer fix cars that have been outside of the factory warranty now for almost 10 years and have had several owners.