GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Minor Scratch on Windshiled

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-16, 10:51 AM
vs1979
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor Scratch on Windshiled

Hi all. I have minor scratches on my windshield, barely can see them but since I know its there I can... Any advise on how get rid off scratches from windshield?

Thank you
Old 07-26-16, 11:59 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

put a brick through it, call your insurance company, get a new one? lol
Old 07-26-16, 12:20 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

While working an assembly line at an auto glass factory (see my recent posts), I watch the repair line where they took out scratches using a huge cotton wheel wherein the operator "chalked" the circumference with a stick (reminiscent of a kid's 1" driveway chalk) of jeweler's rouge.

The wheel - looking like a three-foot in diameter, three inches in width - rotated at about 1 revolutions-per-second - and the man held the blemished part against the abrasive compound until the glass was polished down below the scratch.

I used to be able to identify repaired windscreens and sidelights by the optical aberration when viewing through the glass at an extreme angle; but I haven't noticed any in many years. (I do, however, see some really crappy glass in cars - look through the windshield of cars next to you at a traffic light - you can tell good glass from crappy glass by the presence or absence of optical aberrations. When I've been able to ask the driver, many of the crappy glass examples were replacements.)

We have a five foot round glass tabletop that has a noticeable scratch likely from some beach sand or rough pottery that I plan to attempt a repair using a three inch cotton wheel on my die grinder with some Jewelers rouge or rubbing compound. Perfect optics will not be my primary concern.
Old 07-26-16, 02:55 PM
180ls1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try using rain x. It wont fix the scratches but should help.
Old 07-27-16, 08:29 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

not for anything...auto glass is laminated...ie glass sandwiched inbetween two layers of flexible coating that holds the glass together when it breaks. so polishing scratches out...might be impossible without damaging the coating.
Old 07-27-16, 07:07 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Laminated glass is making a comeback in side windows - like in the fronts-only of the current RX. Windscreens have been a three-piece laminate since rocks were soft; however most side and rear glass are not.

When windshields are assembled, the piece that holds the two pieces of glass together, in it's raw state, is translucent, plastic-rubbery in texture, and you can't clearly see through it. It looks milky-like.

During the curing and forming-to-shape process, the plastic becomes crystal clear; and it is this membrane that is relied upon to keep the glass in shape - and your head on one side - during a crash.

The front seat side windows of the RX are laminates and the laminate helps keep the side air curtain inside the car during side impact; and it has a secondary benefit of providing a measure of sound deadening. The outside of the RX front passenger side windows also have a rain-repellant coating.

The windows that do not have a three-piece construction (i.e., and e.g.: the second seat RX side windows) shatter and drop into rock salt-sized pieces by design.

https://cdrb-law.com/legal-articles/...fety-glass.pdf

Last edited by NateJG; 07-27-16 at 07:15 PM. Reason: added link
Old 07-29-16, 08:44 PM
chitown40
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NateJG
Laminated glass is making a comeback in side windows - like in the fronts-only of the current RX. Windscreens have been a three-piece laminate since rocks were soft; however most side and rear glass are not.

When windshields are assembled, the piece that holds the two pieces of glass together, in it's raw state, is translucent, plastic-rubbery in texture, and you can't clearly see through it. It looks milky-like.

During the curing and forming-to-shape process, the plastic becomes crystal clear; and it is this membrane that is relied upon to keep the glass in shape - and your head on one side - during a crash.

The front seat side windows of the RX are laminates and the laminate helps keep the side air curtain inside the car during side impact; and it has a secondary benefit of providing a measure of sound deadening. The outside of the RX front passenger side windows also have a rain-repellant coating.

The windows that do not have a three-piece construction (i.e., and e.g.: the second seat RX side windows) shatter and drop into rock salt-sized pieces by design.

https://cdrb-law.com/legal-articles/...fety-glass.pdf
Pretty spot on. I'll add that the main reason that manufacturers are using laminated glass in the side and rear windows of vehicles now is becuase they are using the glass as one component in the overall structural integrity of the vehicle. They are using lighter and less amounts of metal in the A,B, and C pillars and relying more on the overall integrity of the pieces to help maintain structural stability.
Old 08-01-16, 07:03 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

...and the side impact (
) and pole impact (
) videos are fairly illustrative.