GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Steering Rack problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-16, 09:53 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Steering Rack problem

When today I picked my car up after the shocks replacement mechanic told me one of the boots on the steering rack is leaking and told me I need to changed the entire rack, having driven front wheel drive cars can't I just change the boots and put new grease in it instead of changing it totally. Inputs please.
Old 06-16-16, 10:55 PM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

The steering rack is different from axels. Although you'd only need to replace the entire rack if you're running out of power steering fluid continuously. If not, just replace the boot itself, to protect the seals inside from dirt and dust further damaging it.
Old 06-17-16, 01:43 AM
bbrowncods
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is leaking PS fluid, the O-ring on that side has failed. The boot is just where it is coming out and therefore will not stop leaking by just replacing the boot.
Old 06-17-16, 10:48 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts

To me, it sounds like your mechanic is confusing two different things.

If the axle boot is leaking grease (which is VERY common on these cars) that's an easy fix. The steering rack leaking power steering fluid is different (and it not a very common problem)

I really think the place you're taking it to is fishing for work at every opportunity. Didn't all of this work come from a simple oil change you took it in for? Why didn't he find this problem the first time?
Old 06-17-16, 11:46 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Originally Posted by BradTank
To me, it sounds like your mechanic is confusing two different things.

If the axle boot is leaking grease (which is VERY common on these cars) that's an easy fix. The steering rack leaking power steering fluid is different (and it not a very common problem)

I really think the place you're taking it to is fishing for work at every opportunity. Didn't all of this work come from a simple oil change you took it in for? Why didn't he find this problem the first time?
It's the grease leaking from boot. I asked him today he said just keep driving we'll have to change the rack once it's completely out.
Old 06-17-16, 08:37 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
It's the grease leaking from boot. I asked him today he said just keep driving we'll have to change the rack once it's completely out.

You shouldn't have to put in a completely new steering rack just to replace the CV joints.

I'd find a new mechanic.
Old 06-17-16, 09:27 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Originally Posted by BradTank
You shouldn't have to put in a completely new steering rack just to replace the CV joints.

I'd find a new mechanic.
Yeah that makes sense , is there anyone from Dallas TX area and know some reasonable mechanic.
Old 06-17-16, 09:49 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The op is the one who said grease, not the mechanic. The mechanic said it was his steering rack. I think the OP made the confusion. Any decent mechanic knows the difference from Power Steering fluid and Grease.

DallasGuy is it dripping under the truck?
Old 06-17-16, 10:16 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Originally Posted by co4wheel
The op is the one who said grease, not the mechanic. The mechanic said it was his steering rack. I think the OP made the confusion. Any decent mechanic knows the difference from Power Steering fluid and Grease.

DallasGuy is it dripping under the truck?
No dripping it is the boot leaking grease.
Old 06-18-16, 08:24 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Then just replace both the boots.

And get a new ethical mechanic. You can shop for one with the issue you have now. See who is honest and doesn't try to turn it into more then it is.
Old 06-20-16, 03:35 PM
langer51
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem with my 2007.. was told by a oil change place that my rack was leaking and I didn't believe them. Later took it into my trusted mechanic who confirmed that the driver side boot was wet from power steering fluid. He said a seal is leaking and will eventually blow, but right now it is just a small leak. Could happen in a year or before, but it will need to be replaced sometime.

He also said this is pretty rare for the GX-470, much more common in the GS-300/350.

Too bad because the repair is around a grand with non-OEM parts, almost 2 grand with Lexus rack assembly.
Old 06-20-16, 04:30 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Originally Posted by langer51
I have the same problem with my 2007.. was told by a oil change place that my rack was leaking and I didn't believe them. Later took it into my trusted mechanic who confirmed that the driver side boot was wet from power steering fluid. He said a seal is leaking and will eventually blow, but right now it is just a small leak. Could happen in a year or before, but it will need to be replaced sometime.

He also said this is pretty rare for the GX-470, much more common in the GS-300/350.

Too bad because the repair is around a grand with non-OEM parts, almost 2 grand with Lexus rack assembly.
Not really 2 grand I saw refurb assembly for 250$ with 1 year warranty and original Lexus rack is 750$ something. But I donno why no mechanic wants to just change the boot. Growing up had a corolla and used to get the axel boots changed very easily.
Old 06-20-16, 06:43 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

The boot just protects the seal that is inside the rack. Replacing the boot is not gonna change a thing.
Old 06-21-16, 06:09 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 752 Likes on 616 Posts

Yep. If it's fluid and not grease, that means the internal seal has failed and the entire rack will need to be replaced.

I expect the labor costs to be pretty steep, so unless you can convince Lexus to help you out, taking it to a good 3rd party mechanic would be the best option.

Chip H.
Old 06-21-16, 08:49 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Originally Posted by chiph9
Yep. If it's fluid and not grease, that means the internal seal has failed and the entire rack will need to be replaced.

I expect the labor costs to be pretty steep, so unless you can convince Lexus to help you out, taking it to a good 3rd party mechanic would be the best option.

WChip H.
The GX I have was a certified vehicle for 3 years and 100k miles. I have about 90k miles do u think I stand a chance now. Year is 2007 though.

Quick Reply: Steering Rack problem