GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Best replacement front rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-16, 02:30 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by co4wheel
I used to have some HAWK pads that would shoot Sparks out from the wheels at night about 12 feet when cold. Once up to temp they did not and they worked amazingly. That's not a problem on a track car but on a streetcar you have to get a balance between hot and cold temperature response.
LOL. Been there done that. Although it sounds neat to have "race pads" , its such a bad idea on a street car. Besides the poor cold bite, if you live in a relatively congested area or have no open roads, it is nearly impossible to get them bedded in properly. You need to get the brakes hot enough for a proper and even material transfer. Proper pad formulation for a street vehicle is key.
From what i've read Hawk has a good light truck formula for the GX called the LTS series. It might be worth looking into if the stock pad formula is not meeting expectations.
Old 05-02-16, 04:15 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
LOL. Been there done that. Although it sounds neat to have "race pads" , its such a bad idea on a street car. Besides the poor cold bite, if you live in a relatively congested area or have no open roads, it is nearly impossible to get them bedded in properly. You need to get the brakes hot enough for a proper and even material transfer. Proper pad formulation for a street vehicle is key.
From what i've read Hawk has a good light truck formula for the GX called the LTS series. It might be worth looking into if the stock pad formula is not meeting expectations.
OH, that was on a Daily Driver that served track duty about once a month. Eventually I put on 4 Piston Racing Calipers, slightly Bigger Rotors that were WAY thicker and directional vane and on aluminum top hats to not transfer all that heat into the hub. Then I could use really good street pads and not need to change pads in a pinch. I designed the setup myself and then another company sold it.
Old 05-02-16, 07:21 PM
bbrowncods
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heat has to be absorb by the mass of the rotor. During heavy braking MASS is more important then your Dissipating idea. Both are important but mass is the most important.

Read this. http://automotivethinker.com/brakes-...d-and-warping/

Lots of people selling higher priced parts LOVE crossed drilled. After all, they look cool, cost more (must be better) and you get to buy them more often (they crack).
We can do this all day. Here is my link. Most of the heat is not absorbed by the rotor, it is given off as radiant and convective heat. Conduction (through the rotor and pads) is only 15-25% of the heat energy dissipated...

http://www.powerstop.com/drilled-vs-...hat-is-better/

Don't know where you are getting "higher priced" from. I only payed 55 per rear wheel for rotors and pads.

Last edited by bbrowncods; 05-02-16 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-02-16, 07:37 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

They are trying to sell you something. Surely you know the difference between my link and yours.

Even if we take their statement as 100% true it does nothing to address the loss of mass issue from drilling a rotor and reducing its mass. My article does address that issue.

Except the last sentence of your link proves my point

"However, for track racing (high speed stops), slotted rotors are the better choice".

Because in a high speed or heavy use stop your better off with the higher mass of a slotted rotor.

They mention the factory cars with drilled rotors, but like I have said over and over. Those cars are designed around the lighter drilled rotor. They have large wheels, weigh less then our trucks by a big amount. We need the mass in our rotors. It's not good to drill it away. That is my point. Our trucks actually have rotors that can't afford to loose the mass that they have. You will never get it because you don't want to learn. It's that basic as well.
Old 05-02-16, 08:25 PM
bbrowncods
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get your mass theory. The brakes on the GX are weak, so if mass is as important as you say it is then the OEM brakes would be great. They are not. So remove some mass and achieve additional cooling with air flow through the rotor. You seem to assume that the manufacturers don't compensate by adding additional mass in the drilled rotors by having thicker surfaces. I never weighed them.
Also, no need in getting personal and questioning my motivation to learn. Let me know when you have finished your Bachelors in Engineering and have a Masters degree as well.
Old 05-02-16, 08:50 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Lol. That's a pipe dream.

I am sure your brakes are awesome and look great. Peace
Old 05-02-16, 08:55 PM
NMBruce
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something you guys are not talking about, a big factor of brakes in F1/Indy other than the materials used is the cooling, that is also true in BMW's, Porsches and other high end cars that are pushed will have some type of air flow to the brakes, our vehicles do not. Porsches GT3's will even have air ducts going to the front brakes.

I can only see a few times that our brakes should need that extra cooling, the whole vehicle is not designed to be pushed that way, even coming down a mountain pass or pulling a heavy trailer. I would guess that some extra cooling might be good, but not as big a factor as pads & fluid, but I am not sure to what extent that is, but I don't think it is anywhere near what a performance car would need, since you are not slowing from high speeds over and over and over again.

So to me what this comes down to, what do you want on your GX, solid, slotted of drilled, it doesn't matter as long as you're happy. Just make sure you have good brake pads designed for how you drive, fresh brake fluid and good working calipers and enjoy your drive.

Last edited by NMBruce; 05-02-16 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-02-16, 09:12 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Indycars no longer use drilled or slotted rotors. co4wheel is correct. Cross-drilled/slotted tech came about when brake pad formulas outgassed alot and needed dissapation. It is no longer the case with the majority of modern pads. Drilled rotors cause stress risers and an area that unevenly heats and cools to the point of causing cracks.
Slotted rotors were designed for the same purpose and to avoid glazed pads. They may have an advantage in offroad situations to cut slung mud that may get in between the pad and the rotor.

To avoid "warpage" (run out) , the metal mass is preferred to come from a good foundry source with proper QA casting techniques Often lesser no name brands source from China are from repurposed scrap metal that have been cast and cooled at fast rates.
If it's old tech, why does Lamborghini, Ferrari, and all the other supercar manufacturers use them still? I'm not on one side of the fence or the other, but saying its old tech is not correct. Hell, my dads 2016 ZO6 has slotted rotors. It's not old tech.
Old 05-03-16, 06:50 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Guys nothing wrong with drilled rotors done right. But it's become one of tthose expected things on a car to "look cool". All those cars with it are designed around the rotor having reduced mass as a result. Sports cars have huge wheels, large brakes for extra brake leverage. So the reduction in mass from drilling rotors is even wanted or desired in some of those situations.

But

Our 120s are not Z06's. Or Italian. Look at a Nissan 370Z with sport package. 14" non drilled rotors. Trucks have smaller wheels then sports cars limiting diameter. Trucks weight and tow a exponentially higher amount. Trucks NEED brake mass. To absorb heat on a panic stop from 75mph while going down a hill or simply driving down a longer grade. Weight is a huge issue for us. Mass is what absorbs that heat in that situation.

Cheap/quality/performance

Pick two. You don't get three at the same time
Old 05-03-16, 07:04 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
If it's old tech, why does Lamborghini, Ferrari, and all the other supercar manufacturers use them still? I'm not on one side of the fence or the other, but saying its old tech is not correct. Hell, my dads 2016 ZO6 has slotted rotors. It's not old tech.
Slots don't reduce mass, don't create huge stress risers that create cracks. Lamborghini and Ferrari often use carbon fiber rotors and use quality drilled rotors when they are steel. Hold a Brembo 2 piece rotor and compare that to our power stop or whatever. Look at the Casting of that vs Brembo. Not even close.
Old 05-03-16, 07:05 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Guys nothing wrong with drilled rotors done right. But it's become one of tthose expected things on a car to "look cool". All those cars with it are designed around the rotor having reduced mass as a result. Sports cars have huge wheels, large brakes for extra brake leverage. So the reduction in mass from drilling rotors is even wanted or desired in some of those situations.

But

Our 120s are not Z06's. Or Italian. Look at a Nissan 370Z with sport package. 14" non drilled rotors. Trucks have smaller wheels then sports cars limiting diameter. Trucks weight and tow a exponentially higher amount. Trucks NEED brake mass. To absorb heat on a panic stop from 75mph while going down a hill or simply driving down a longer grade. Weight is a huge issue for us. Mass is what absorbs that heat in that situation.

Cheap/quality/performance

Pick two. You don't get three at the same time
I'm not comparing super cars to our 120's, just saying it isn't old technology. It's very very current. I understand there's a huge difference between high quality carbon ceramic rotors and cheap cross drilled/slotted chinaman parts. Saying its old tech is incorrect. That's all I was getting at. I realize any comparison from a quality aspect would be apples to oranges.
Old 05-03-16, 08:46 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
I'm not comparing super cars to our 120's, just saying it isn't old technology. It's very very current. I understand there's a huge difference between high quality carbon ceramic rotors and cheap cross drilled/slotted chinaman parts. Saying its old tech is incorrect. That's all I was getting at. I realize any comparison from a quality aspect would be apples to oranges.
I don't think I ever said it's Old Tech. But it is. So is Diesel and Gas Engines. It's a silly thing to call it old tech. Old tech is what got us where we are now.

We drive a Gussied Up 4 Runner. Meant for Off Roading and Towing things. Not a car much less a sports car. I lived on a gravel road for years. I used to get small rocks stuck in my brakes on a car every once in a while. Last thing we need is holes in our rotors to catch rocks and crap. This never happened on my Tundra and to be fair my car did not have drilled rotors. But I can only imagine the damage done to a car or truck with drilled rotors that gets a rock stuck in it. Could be catastrophic to the brake system. Again not likely but it's more likely with that type of thing on the truck.
Old 05-03-16, 11:18 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

I don't think I ever said it's Old Tech. But it is. So is Diesel and Gas Engines. It's a silly thing to call it old tech. Old tech is what got us where we are now.
i think that was directed at my statement. For clarification, cross-drilled and slotted rotor designs came out of the need to address outgassing from brake pad vaporization They both addressed the issue and the industry have moved on to understand the pros and cons of both designs. Brake pad formulations have come a long way.
As far as the use on supercars off the showroom floor, IMO the cross drilling is more for the "race" bling factor. To offset the downfalls of cross-drilled rotors, those manufacturers match them with 6 and 8 piston calipers.
Old 05-03-16, 01:26 PM
NMBruce
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://ebcbrakes.com/articles/danger...rilled-rotors/

http://www.redline360.com/garage/bra...hich-is-better

these are not stay drill is bad, just be careful of what/who drill rotors you get