GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2004 GX470 OEM Pads & Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-16, 04:50 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Break Clean Only.

Light anti seize on the shims and backside of the pad.
Old 03-30-16, 05:46 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by co4wheel
Break Clean Only.

Light anti seize on the shims and backside of the pad.
Thanks,pulled the truck into the garage and hit caliper bolts with power blaster letting them soak over night.Hopefully,all goes smoothly tomorrow....

How many shims per wheel? I have a diagram showing 4 shims(2 on each brake pad).

Last edited by Wronglane; 03-30-16 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-31-16, 11:07 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

just put it back as it was when you took it apart.
Old 04-01-16, 08:47 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Some history.........50,000 miles ago,a Lexus dealer said we needed front brakes,so,they installed new pads and turned the rotors. Brakes would squeek,so we took it back and they installed brake grease solving that issue,but,steering wheel was pulsating.Took it to a good independant mechanic that we know who said that they should have replaced the rotors instead of turning them to which I agreed.Problem solve and here we are 50k miles later...no complaints.

Decided to do it myself this time.She's done,wish it went smooth,let's just say it went. After removng the lug nuts,both wheels were stuck on the rotor.I literally sat on the ground and kangaroo kicked the tires several times to break them loose. No big deal.

Both caliper bolts on both sides were a nightmare.The shop I am sure put them in with an impact gun,and God knows what the torque must have been. Was WAY WAY over spec torque. Thank God for power blaster,that stuff is amazing.Even with that,I had to hammer the center of each bolt over and over with a small socket at its center.Also had to use a two foot ,1/2" breaker bar cranking on it to which finally broke the bolts loose.

Caliper and pads were a breeze.Slide pins were corroded a bit and had to use a punch to gently hammer them out.No problem. Both rotors were tough and really stuck,but,with some pounding,they broke free.The 21mm bolt on teh passenger side holding the brake hose was rounded off by someone.Sprayed it with PB,pounded it over and over with a large socket over it,put a 12mm wrench,hammered it onto the rounded bolt,and luckily it had enough bite to remove it. Installed a new one,done.

There ar 2 shims on each pad.The pads I removed had one,so,either the dealer or the mechanic left one off. Shims were in horrible shape so I replaced them. Cleaned all the slide pins via a wire wheel grinder,cleaned caliper contact points,greased slide pins,applied anti seize to caliper bolts torquing them to 91 ft. lbs. Lug nuts were torqued to 85 ft. lbs. Finally,took the truck out to bed the pads,parked it,letting the brakes cool.

Thank you to all that posted here with your insight!!!

Per Toyota specs,grease is to be applied on both sides of the inner shim,thats it. Our pads are a 2 hole design.Grease is applied in one spot between the holes(not in them,as the ones I took off were).Grease should be about 1 mm thick and no larger than the diameter of a dime.In the pic below,the pad with 2 holes is ours.
Attached Thumbnails 2004 GX470 OEM Pads & Rotors-gx470-lt-fnt-rotor.jpg   2004 GX470 OEM Pads & Rotors-gx470-rt-frt-rotor.jpg   2004 GX470 OEM Pads & Rotors-bp-grease-points.jpg  
Old 04-01-16, 09:40 PM
ace911
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice job....great detail on the greasing the shims....I think I put that stuff all over my shims though. Ohh well. seems to work ok so far.
Old 04-02-16, 02:49 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Thanks Ace. I would not worry about putting grease all over your shims,as they did it like that on mine and brakes were fine for 50k.I am going to have to do the rear soon.Will wait to hear noise first.For anyone going the factory oem route,below are Toyota part numbers for both front and rear rotors,pads,and shim kits.

Front Brakes
Front rotors 43512-60151
Front Brake Pads 04465-35290
Front Shim kit 04945-35120

Rear Brakes
Rear rotors 42431-60201
Rear Brake Pads 04466-60090
Rear Shim Kit 04946-30100

By the way,I called a Lexus dealership for prices to put new rotors on with new brake pads.The price was $750 .That did not include shims which cost me $60.01 with tax thru Toyota dealership.I am sure they would have marked teh shims up too,but,we will leave it at that.Could have saved $10 on Ebay,but,I needed them right away.Note the savings below,its well worth it if you are somewhat handy.

Lexus Dealership
New rotors and brake pads..............$750.00
Shim kit...........................................56.00
Subtotal........................................$806.00
Tax..l...............................................56.42
Total...........................................$862.42

Do It Yourself
Toyota rotors. & pads (Ebay).......$250.49 shipped and no tax
Toyota shim kit............................. 60.01 includes tax via Toyota dealership
Total........................................$310.50.

Total savings.....$551.92
Old 04-03-16, 03:17 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Do the pads or the shim kit come with new anti rattle clips also?
Old 04-03-16, 06:21 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Do the pads or the shim kit come with new anti rattle clips also?
No,they do not.If you want the sliding pins,online price thru a lexus dealership is $2.69 each and the anti rattle spring is $3.19. Price may vary online at different dealerships.

There is a kit sold that comes with brake pads,shims,and the grease for the shims which I did not get because I thought I was going to reuse my shims.

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...ing=front+disc
Old 01-22-17, 08:09 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Hello everyone,in about 2 weeks,I will be doing the rear brakes,pads,along with shims. Last week,we went to the dealer for the airbag recall. They gave my wife a written estimate to do the rear rotors and pads(no shims),for only $654.00. She declined and like the front,I will buy the parts online. I can get factory rotors,pads,and shims thru Lexus dealerships online for $256 which includes shipping. I found a Toyota dealership that sells the same parts(exact part numbers) for $215.00(free shipping). Attached is a pic of the items.

As you can see,they are for various vehicles,but,carry the exact part numbers.of our GX 470. The question is,should I be concerned that these parts may not fit our truck in some ways? Would hate to have to ship something back because it did not fit just right,not to mention,I will not know until its time to install the parts.
Attached Thumbnails 2004 GX470 OEM Pads & Rotors-gx470-rear-brakes.jpg  
Old 01-23-17, 09:58 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Wronglane
Hello everyone,in about 2 weeks,I will be doing the rear brakes,pads,along with shims. Last week,we went to the dealer for the airbag recall. They gave my wife a written estimate to do the rear rotors and pads(no shims),for only $654.00. She declined and like the front,I will buy the parts online. I can get factory rotors,pads,and shims thru Lexus dealerships online for $256 which includes shipping. I found a Toyota dealership that sells the same parts(exact part numbers) for $215.00(free shipping). Attached is a pic of the items.

As you can see,they are for various vehicles,but,carry the exact part numbers.of our GX 470. The question is,should I be concerned that these parts may not fit our truck in some ways? Would hate to have to ship something back because it did not fit just right,not to mention,I will not know until its time to install the parts.
I did put the rear struts from the Toyota 4Runner and it was a gr8 deal compared to the Lexus part. You do your research on the brakes or buy the parts from you local Toyota dealer it'll be a lot easier in case of a return. Caus I don't think they'll pay to ship it back and rotors specially are very heavy.
Old 01-23-17, 11:41 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

I have done the research and called local Toyota dealerships.They are almost double the price of the dealers online for the exact same part number. I guess I am looking for confirmation that a part number is a part number and if they are the same,the part will be the correct part....:-)
Old 01-23-17, 01:07 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

If you order from a dealer with an online presence (not eBay or Amazon) you will be getting a genuine part.

However, if you take that part to a local shop, they're not going to be enthusiastic about using it - they're missing out on the parts profit, and they don't know where the part came from or if it's good quality (they're worried about their reputation and angry customers returning). They're only good for a DIY.

Chip H.
Old 01-23-17, 02:14 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

I was thinking about orderning from Camelback Toyota/Scion (Dealer) in Arizona. Because they are a Toyota dealership,the part numbers I typed in on their site do not show that they fit the GX470,but,I know its the right part # for the truck.They come up that they fit an FJ Cruiser,4*Runner,Sequia,etc. Thats why I posed the question. I am thinking that they fit multiple vehicles.
Old 02-02-17, 02:25 PM
cgdrennan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by co4wheel
How do you like your hawk pads. Which did you get?
I must not have had my instant notifications set up correctly because I just noticed this! sorry! I got the Hawk performance LTS brake pads and paid around $70. Performance is great however they do dust more than the pads they replaced which I believe were OEM. I've been running them for about a year now, but only have about 5k miles on them.