GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2006 gx470 led door lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-15, 07:32 PM
mswtoyota
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2006 gx470 led door lights

So I was finally brave enough to pry on the door lights to see how they come out, and of course, the metal spring holding the one on the drivers door popped loose and fell into the door panel.
Sorry for the crappy camera:

You can see the metal clip that holds the light into the door on the left.
So after removing the light and unplugging it, we must get inside it.

The screwdriver and led are pointing to the two clips holding the side on.

This single clip acts like a hinge after you pop the two on the other side loose.

Now with the lens off, we can insert the LED replacement, but do not snap the lens back on until you plug it in and check that the LED polarity is correct.

If it lights up, snap the lens on and return the light to the door panel.

Here is the metal clip that fell off the drivers side.

The clip just snaps back into place on the light housing.

Now the doors match the running boards.

I couldn't resist.
Old 12-20-15, 07:41 PM
mswtoyota
Rookie

So to retrieve the metal clip, I had to pull the drivers side front door panel off and took more pictures while I had it apart, so if someone else is trying to see how to get into it, here you go:

There are three plastic tabs on the back of the door handle above

that snap into the 3 square holes above.

Then the drivers side window switch assembly has 2 tabs, a pink plastic lock thingy, and 1 metal tab on the bottom that insert into the hole:

Then a similar attachment for the arm rest:

Remove the black rearview mirror garnish, 3 screws and a push clip, and the door panel pops off.
Old 12-21-15, 06:19 PM
Blackdog55
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like that made a big difference in the running boards. What kind of bulb did you use?
Old 12-21-15, 06:31 PM
ScatAdams
Rookie

Preciate posting this, was having some trouble swapping out my door lights
Old 12-22-15, 06:10 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Which year GX had perforated leather seats?
Old 12-22-15, 09:06 AM
mswtoyota
Rookie

Which year GX had perforated leather seats?
Seat covers. The one thing our 2006 GX could use is some better seat covers, as the previous owner NEVER conditioned the leather.

Preciate posting this, was having some trouble swapping out my door lights
No problem. I wanted to do it for a while, just couldn't figure out how and could find no pics on here....
Old 12-22-15, 03:54 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

You can simply pop the lens off without removing the whole assembly.
BTW, how did you even reach the running board bulbs? I don't have massive hands but could even place my fingers correctly to attempt this.
Old 12-22-15, 07:03 PM
mswtoyota
Rookie

Originally Posted by NTH
BTW, how did you even reach the running board bulbs? I don't have massive hands but could even place my fingers correctly to attempt this.
I put the suspension all the way up and scooted underneath on my back to get the running boards. Those were the first things I did 'cause I couldn't handle the yellow crap-tastic light. So far I have used 12 (out of the 50 pack) of those 194 LED bulb replacements, and have 2 more (front side amber colored running light) to do and I'll have replaced all of them with LEDs. I doubt I'll do the blinkers/brakes because I don't feel like dealing with load resistors, but I need to finish the two interior front map lights as they are still driving me nuts.
Old 03-02-16, 04:38 PM
Riflman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mswtoyota
I put the suspension all the way up and scooted underneath on my back to get the running boards. Those were the first things I did 'cause I couldn't handle the yellow crap-tastic light. So far I have used 12 (out of the 50 pack) of those 194 LED bulb replacements, and have 2 more (front side amber colored running light) to do and I'll have replaced all of them with LEDs. I doubt I'll do the blinkers/brakes because I don't feel like dealing with load resistors, but I need to finish the two interior front map lights as they are still driving me nuts.
Old thread but just doing this conversion myself. Can I ask, you used 12 194 lights so far? Where?? I had no idea there were that many in the vehicle. Most of the bay kits only include 4 of those or so if I recall. I see you bought 50 bulbs. Can you recommend a bulb type?

My manual says the lights should turn off automatically after 30 minutes, but mine don't, and because I frequently work from my vehicle going back and forth for tools in the cargo area, I have to be super careful not to leave my doors open turn the cargo dome light off. The off light seems to work for the dome lights, but the running lights and door lights stay on if any door is open, even if the key is out of the ignition. Very frustrating as I have needed a boost a few times. I'm hoping the LED bulbs will help. Battery tests good but likely going to replace that too.
Old 03-03-16, 03:04 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Riflman
Old thread but just doing this conversion myself. Can I ask, you used 12 194 lights so far? Where?? I had no idea there were that many in the vehicle. Most of the bay kits only include 4 of those or so if I recall. I see you bought 50 bulbs. Can you recommend a bulb type?

My manual says the lights should turn off automatically after 30 minutes, but mine don't, and because I frequently work from my vehicle going back and forth for tools in the cargo area, I have to be super careful not to leave my doors open turn the cargo dome light off. The off light seems to work for the dome lights, but the running lights and door lights stay on if any door is open, even if the key is out of the ignition. Very frustrating as I have needed a boost a few times. I'm hoping the LED bulbs will help. Battery tests good but likely going to replace that too.
All the running boards, door panels, front marker lights, and license plate lights are 194 bulbs.
Old 03-25-16, 05:06 PM
djspock303
Driver

Nice work I was doing this today, and was not exactly sure on the easiest way to do the running board lights x 4.

Ok I ordered this kit from Amazon
Amazon.com: Classy Autos White LED Lights Interior Package Kit for Lexus LX570 (16 Pieces): Automotive Amazon.com: Classy Autos White LED Lights Interior Package Kit for Lexus LX570 (16 Pieces): Automotive

Which was a mistake don't order it. It had like 14 194's which is fine. It also had two 3022's which on the middle dome light was also fine.

What it did not have is the bulbs for the front dome light, not the tiny ones i think those are 74's like you have for the ashtray and the door handles. This vendor has every light for the vehicle laid out except the ones on the front dome light. (The ones you push they come on, push they go off?) I want those replaced!

http://www.xenondepot.com/2006-gx470...bs-s/15571.htm

*Realized my mistake this was for the LX570 ROFL!

Last edited by djspock303; 03-25-16 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-10-24, 12:13 PM
italia11
4th Gear

Do you know where I can buy just the clips/spring? Lost them also