GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Cargo Measurements?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-15, 08:10 PM
girlwstyle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cargo Measurements?

Could someone measure the Width & Height of the cargo area for me? (btw the wheelbase housing and at the widest point). Purty Purty Pleassseee

I'm having a hard time finding 2003- 2006 in my price range that doesn't have issues (I'm SHOCKED by how many people don't take care of these or get the regular major maintenance done). So I'm now looking into some RX300 models . The measurements I can find say that the RX has the same length cargo & is 38.6" wide btw the wheel wells...if the GX isn't much different I'll take a serious look at some RX models this weekend.

I haul furniture and larger items around quiet often and know that the GX is probably better since it doesn't have the sloping back but I have been without a car now for 2 weeks and driving around my friends Scion is getting old fast
Old 12-13-15, 02:11 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Actual measurements from my 05 GX. To utilize all of the width, third row seating must be removed (so easy, even a girl can do it {teasing, only because of your username}).

Fenderwell width at floor level is 43.5." That dimension widens as you go up from floor level. 54" is the greatest width overall in the cargo area.

The length is 43" to the back of the second row seats. My biggest gripe is the second row does not fold flat, nor is it removable. With the second row folded, the seats encroach into useable cargo space by about 14." So at floor level you gain less than 20," but above the folded seats gains about 33." These dimensions are variable due to front seat position. We carry a concert grand harp on an angle, resting on top of the third row seats. With the passenger seat full forward, we have enough room for around 78" at the longest dimension of the instrument.

The cargo height maxes out at 41.5." Due to contours in the headliner, that's reduced a little in the front and rear. The door opening is 45.5" wide x 38" tall.

The GX definitely has more cargo space than an RX. Also keep in mind they are very different vehicles ... a full frame truck vs. a unibody crossover-ish vehicle on car-like underpinnings. I drove a same-year gas powered AWD RX for a couple of weeks. I liked it overall. More nimble than the GX and adequate power with the V-6. I assumed it would net significantly better MPG than my GX on a 25% city 75% freeway route I traveled every day. I was thinking low 20's. Not so. 18 MPG compared to 16.5 in the GX. So if a RX was ever on my potential ownership "radar," it's off now, except if I needed a total city cruiser for stop and go commute. Then a Hybrid RX might make sense. Aside from that, I'll take the real-deal SUV for a relatively minor difference in fuel economy. The RX is a nice vehicle and I get the popularity. But I don't see much more utility than a Lexus or Toyota sedan, and they do much better on fuel.

Last edited by zippinbye; 12-13-15 at 02:16 PM. Reason: .
Old 12-13-15, 02:47 PM
girlwstyle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you thAnk you!! This is exactly what I needed!!!

To utilize all of the width, third row seating must be removed (so easy, even a girl can do it {teasing, only because of your username}).
Haha ya I knew that and don't plan on having the 3rd row installed at all unless road trip with friends requires it. I'm young and childless so no need for a lot of seating

With them folded, they encroach into useable cargo space by about 14."
The flip fold up against the back of the front seats correct? I do wish Lexus had employed the folding floor shelf that's in the 4Runner Limited models for the same years since it allows a solid surface to place items across that are equal with the 2nd row backs folded down against the seats. That+the sliding back window and flip up gate are something that made me SERIOUSLY consider a 4Runner first...until I test drove the GX and the ride quality and feel of cabin won hands down.

The cargo height maxes out at 41.5."
Wow this is almost a foot or gained difference!

Fenderwell width at floor level is 43.5."
It's only 5" but each inch counts when your hauling largo cargo

We carry a concert grand harp on an angle, resting on top of the third row seats. With the passenger seat full forward, we have enough room for around 78" at the longest dimension of the instrument.
Awesome! Thank you for giving me a visual...that helps SO much and pretty much cements my desire for the GX!

Thank you again for helping me not make the wrong choice! Even with the negatives of gate, 2nd row, and the difficulty I'm having finding one in good condition; the measurement difference is enough that I don't think it's worth sacrificing my future usability/satisfaction just because of my shopping exhaustion and anxiety from lack of a vehicle.

It looks like it's smarter for me to get a GX that isn't the color/options I desire and deal with that rather than lack of cargo.
Old 12-13-15, 07:55 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Your understanding of the second row folding method is correct. There is a spilt (60/40?) that would allow you to have some extended length capacity while retaining 2nd row seating for either one or two people.

Honestly there are lot of SUVs that are better cargo haulers. Remaining in the Toy/Lex family, that would be a Sequoia. But as you probably felt in your test drive, the GX really feels like it's mid-sized relative to all the SUVs out there. My wife loves it. She hated driving an Expedition we once had only due to the size - she enjoyed riding in it. So in that context, the GX is maneuverable, can squeeze into a lot of places, and has commensurate cargo space.

What are the colors and options you desire? I'll mention two things that are a subject of debate, but I'll give you my two cents worth. 1) In 2005 the VVTi engine was introduced. It has 35 more horsepower and 10 lb-ft torque and a slightly better MPG rating. Also did better in the EPA low emission certifications. I think the torque comes in lower and wider too. Some people say it's not worth worrying about, but there is a difference. I held out for it and am glad I did. Everything else being equal, it's a no brainer, get an 05 or newer. But if a clean 03 or 04 comes up for the right price, it's a secondary consideration. 2) "To NAV or not to NAV?" The current Lexus enthusiast trend is against finding a used GX with NAV. Since the navigation functions are antiquated compared to 2015 technology, that aspect is not sought after. Because the NAV option interfaces with many other functions including climate control through the touch screen, it is not possible to upgrade to "new tech" via an aftermarket DVD NAV stereo system. You're stuck oath it. So the basic sound system is easily swappable to something current. On the plus side for factory NAV, it means a Mark Levinson sound system. ML sound was incredible back in the day and is pretty damn good now. It would take some serious audiophile know-how and a ton of cash to engineer a system that sounds better with aftermarket gear. Louder, more bass, yes, but refined, balanced sound, no. Folks have swapped out the factory subwoofer in Mark Levinson sound systems to get the thump that some of the younger crowd seek, while retaining all the other fine attributes of the system. I have the NAV/ML system, and I'm perfectly happy with it. The NAV works, but half the time I just use my iPhone by itself anyhow. The sound is great. Bottom line, just like the VVTi engine, lack or presence of one option or the other should not be a show stopper if you find the otherwise perfect specimen.

As you've probably discovered, there are changes that trickled in as the years went on. Study this to get an idea: http://www.toyota120.com/html/lexus_gx470.html
Plus seek out the sales brochure for each model year for solid information on what was available (2005 happens to be linked within address above). The basic nature of the beast is well represented in any model year regardless of option. Certain options and years just make it better.

Hold out for a nice one. First Gen GXs are no longer earning many spots on the Lexus dealer used car lot for the most part. That means many nice ones that get traded in end up a tier lower in the used car business or in the private party world. If you know anybody with a dealer license than can get into Manheim dealer auctions, there's lot's of GX 470s passing through. Anything that's not a dealer certified vehicle requires significant due diligence, but the price trends are very favorable right now. Best of luck to you.