GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rarity of a Sport Package GX

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-15, 09:30 PM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Rarity of a Sport Package GX

I been in the market for an 07-09 sport package because of the KDSS. I assume it would not be difficult but after a month of searching up and down the state of California, no avail. I contacted Newport Lexus to inquire about the GX Sport Package. Shockingly, the sales rep say only 4% of GX was sold in 07-09 equipped with Sport Package. Was pretty bummed.
Old 11-10-15, 11:57 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by maxx430
I been in the market for an 07-09 sport package because of the KDSS. I assume it would not be difficult but after a month of searching up and down the state of California, no avail. I contacted Newport Lexus to inquire about the GX Sport Package. Shockingly, the sales rep say only 4% of GX was sold in 07-09 equipped with Sport Package. Was pretty bummed.
Not sure of the comparable percentage for the Sport in 2005, but my impression is a similar low number. I searched coast to coast for six months. The biggest issue was identifying whether or not a particular vehicle was so equipped. Dealers and private parties were often clueless .... I had to hunt for the telltale signs in pics. It was a grind, but I eventually scored and I continue to be happy I went to the effort.
Old 11-11-15, 09:40 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Originally Posted by zippinbye
Not sure of the comparable percentage for the Sport in 2005, but my impression is a similar low number. I searched coast to coast for six months. The biggest issue was identifying whether or not a particular vehicle was so equipped. Dealers and private parties were often clueless .... I had to hunt for the telltale signs in pics. It was a grind, but I eventually scored and I continue to be happy I went to the effort.
When you bought your Sport GX, did the seller / dealer know it was a true Sport model? Seems many do not know what they've got.

If yes, did they charge more for it? On one hand, rarity can make prices higher. On the other, rarity also decreases the potential buyer pool therefore reducing the potential to get higher prices.
Old 11-12-15, 10:19 AM
NR04
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was searching for mine, I would say 1/20 I looked at was Sports. The dealers didn't know nor did they care that it was a sports model. KDSS did not add value to the used car sales. All they cared about was whether the model had Navigation and ML.

Question for you, why do you want the KDSS? Is for off-roading? If I had to do it all over again, I would pick the up non-sport/navigation model. You can easily fit the aftermarket navigation model with all the latest technology on a non-navigation model. That's a huge plus in my mind. If you're serious about off-road capabilities, get a detachable sway bar connects.
Old 11-12-15, 03:21 PM
Aztec123
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NR04 - what are some names of aftermarket upgrades for nav? I'm interested in upgrading. Sorry - don't mean to hijack thread. If i can get a few names I can search myself. Thanks
Old 11-12-15, 09:36 PM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NR04
When I was searching for mine, I would say 1/20 I looked at was Sports. The dealers didn't know nor did they care that it was a sports model. KDSS did not add value to the used car sales. All they cared about was whether the model had Navigation and ML.

Question for you, why do you want the KDSS? Is for off-roading? If I had to do it all over again, I would pick the up non-sport/navigation model. You can easily fit the aftermarket navigation model with all the latest technology on a non-navigation model. That's a huge plus in my mind. If you're serious about off-road capabilities, get a detachable sway bar connects.
I wont go off roading much but just knowing i have the option would be nice.
Old 11-13-15, 10:23 AM
NR04
Rookie

If you're not looking at KDSS for off-road purposes, I would say it's not worth the trouble. The coolest thing about the Sports model in my opinion is the grey wood trim (I don't like light or the dark brown wood trim). I don't think KDSS really makes any difference on the road. It does, however, adds a fractional increase in wheel articulation during off-roading.

The navigation on these cars are worthless. I would seriously search out for a non-nav model and replace the unit with something like Kenwood Excelon. You will get the latest Garmin map, HD radio, XM/Sirius, Bluetooth audio connection....
Old 11-15-15, 10:06 AM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default KDSS on the road

I have a 2006 with the sport package with KDSS. I don't agree with the comment of kdss being focused on off the road use. On the street the KDSS takes away a lot of the body roll when cornering. If you look underneath the car the roll bars are very beefy, much more than the stock non-kdss roll bars. That the key to the difference in roll stiffness between non-kdss and kdss.

The kdss cars has significantly greater roll resistance while being driven on the road. I have driven a non-kdss GX and it leans significantly more and just doesn't corner as well as a one with kdss
Old 11-16-15, 07:57 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by aljodoro
I have a 2006 with the sport package with KDSS. I don't agree with the comment of kdss being focused on off the road use. On the street the KDSS takes away a lot of the body roll when cornering. If you look underneath the car the roll bars are very beefy, much more than the stock non-kdss roll bars. That the key to the difference in roll stiffness between non-kdss and kdss.

The kdss cars has significantly greater roll resistance while being driven on the road. I have driven a non-kdss GX and it leans significantly more and just doesn't corner as well as a one with kdss
I would concur, I and a coworker both had 2006 GX470's, mine is a sport/kdss and his was not. The ride is amazingly better in mine as everyone riding in the cars can tell. Without a direct comparison it might be hard to notice, but if you take the same roads everyday and switch between the cars you certainly can tell what it gets you.
Old 11-16-15, 04:09 PM
desertjunk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aljodoro

I also concur! One sticky point with me when researching the 2006 GX470 was body lean...however, I was pleasantly surprised that this one I bought this summer with the KDSS drove great...almost as good as my 2001 landcruiser. As to the use of this system in off road situations...I have yet to get it past the wife and off road!!! I guess my TRD Tundra will have to do!
Old 11-16-15, 08:02 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
When you bought your Sport GX, did the seller / dealer know it was a true Sport model? Seems many do not know what they've got.

If yes, did they charge more for it? On one hand, rarity can make prices higher. On the other, rarity also decreases the potential buyer pool therefore reducing the potential to get higher prices.
My 05 traded on a new Lexus and I had all the stats from the prior owner (I simply stumbled on a potential private party deal too late). Not naming names, a Lexus dealer in Santa Monica exhibited zero knowledge of the vehicle's equipment and was downright deceitful, and the used car manager was a dumbass (ask me how I really feel!). That aside, said Lexus dealer asked an excessive price after they rebuffed my attempt to make a quick deal. They failed to mention its features in advertising, and it appeared substandard compared to others on their lot due to mileage (almost 58,000 at 4 years since original sale). They sat on it and then decided to wholesale at Manheim Orange County. Since I had the VIN and access to dealer auctions and pre sales data, I happened to notice it. I bid online and stole the GX. I know that's a longer response than you wanted, but an example of what I saw again and again as I searched for a GX: dealers and private parties with no clue regarding options. Especially Sport and KDSS. I went so far as to ask for undercarriage photos in some cases, so as to identify KDSS.
Old 11-16-15, 08:29 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Another concurance regarding KDSS. On and off road it reduces body roll more than the standard sway bar set up. The KDSS sway bar is huge! It looks like a sewer pipe compared to the basic bar. I would guess it's the largest diameter factory sway bar in the world - at least I haven't seen one ton and lighter trucks with anything as beefy. But then it releases on demand and behaves as if there were no sway bar in order to offer max articulation on uneven surfaces. It's a genius piece if engineering. In reality, your enjoyment of a GX will not suffer much without KDSS, especially if you do not head off pavement. But it is preferable if you have the ability to find a GX so equipped.

Last edited by zippinbye; 11-17-15 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Sp
Old 11-17-15, 11:31 PM
stones
Driver School Candidate

Have you tried looking in AZ, Vegas or Texas?

I live in Phoenix but bought my 4runner in Sacramento in 2009. Dealers here were asking way too much at the time.
Old 11-18-15, 07:27 AM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Good News! I picked up a 2006 GX sport package. Black with grey interior. I hate black but i could settle since it was a sport package. I will post pictures when i get a chance to clean it up.
Old 11-18-15, 01:03 PM
desertjunk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maxx430
Good News! I picked up a 2006 GX sport package. Black with grey interior. I hate black but i could settle since it was a sport package. I will post pictures when i get a chance to clean it up.
Congrats on the find!!!
Once you get it, lower the height and switch it to sport mode! Drives like a car!!! I love mine and want to buy a LX 470 and replace my Tundra!

Quick Reply: Rarity of a Sport Package GX