GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Front diff. drain plug STUCK

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-15, 02:30 PM
Jimbobaja
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front diff. drain plug STUCK

Doing 90K mi. servicing myself, incl. timing belt, wp and other goodies and can't get frt. diff. drain plug to budge. Had previously serviced by Master Toyota Tech buddy where we lived 200 mi away at 30K and 60k mi. per work order invoices showing work done. Now, I'm trying to get plug off and no go. Applied PB Blaster 6 times over 2 days to help free up, no good. Then, tried 150 psi w/ 1/2 in. impact gun and 1/2 in-10mm hex impact attachment and still no go. And, yes I "lefty looseying" it. It's been 5yrs. since last work ( I know, I should have checked it more often, my bad ) and the other filler/drain plugs were tighter than they should have been, wonder if they used same old washers, so looking for what to do now. Anyone have similar experience? Appreciate your thoughts and input. Want to give tech buddy benefit of doubt 'til I know differently. THANKS again for help!
PS 2005 Lexus GX470, Frt. diff. drain plug, 10mm hex w/ copper/brass washer/gasket @ 48ft-lbf.
Old 06-03-15, 03:06 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

tap it with a rubber hammer several times. I had to cut a notch in my GS300 first time I did it many years ago. then used a flathead to back it off
Old 06-03-15, 03:09 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

using a ratchet handle at a right angle did not work for me, take tire off and approached directly with electric impact wrench..
Old 06-03-15, 03:18 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I always felt that they never actually do the diff drain till you start getting up there in mileage, alot of times they just wager that you would never check and even if you did there is no way to really say they did or didn't or you would probably be doing it yourself.

let give them the benefit of the doubt though since its your buddy tech =)

I would not take an impact to it, bet there is a chance of cracking part the case if the bolt doesn't budge or breaking the bolt itself. I would get a long breaker bar and try again. with these old rusty things sometimes slower with more torque is better. if that doesn't work find a pipe to slip over the breaker bar and try again, they get really tight over time if they haven't been removed lately.

at some point if they did do it they should have replaced the gasket and usually they replace the plug every few times as it gets all messed up and difficult to remove the next times.

I have heard of tapping on it with a hammer helping free it up, also heard of impacts working but I don't use an impact myself.
try with the breaker bar though the impact probably wont do it unless you have a shop strength one.
you could try a little heat on the casing around the bolt and then try turning it to help it break free but not everyone is handy with a torch.

for o2 sensors what I do is let the car sit for 20 min and wear long sleeves and undo them while they are hot they come out so much easier. if you try and remove the o2 off a cold exhaust, you will have a much harder experience.

also if you have not already, remove the fill plug first. it helps the fluid drain easier cause air can get in, but more importantly you know you will be able to fill it again once you get the drain plug off.
wouldn't want to drain all that oil to have a frozen fill plug and have to tow it to a shop now would ya? nope

the same front differential is used in most 4runners, tacoma's, tundra's etc.., so you can also search google for "toyota stuck drain plug front diff" and get info from other forums.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-03-15 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-03-15, 05:19 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Tap with a hammer to flatten out the washer, which releases the pressure, and it should back right out. This is why I question all those guys that voluntarily switch their drain plugs to allen key fitting style, if one gets stuck, I'd much rather have a socket end on it.
Old 06-04-15, 08:17 AM
Jimbobaja
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the good tips! Local transmission shop buddies also suggested heat and longer breaker bar, so will give a try and let you know how it comes out. Worried about really screwing things up worse than they are. I was afraid of working on Lexus when new, didn't have FSM 'til just recently as I thought price would go down, it didn't. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. My own fault for trusting someone else to care more about my rig than I do, never again. Thanks again!
Old 06-04-15, 03:00 PM
ChimpanZed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the same problem. Penetrating fluid, a breaker bar, a blowtorch on the case with ice on the plug weren't enough to get it out. I brought it to a shop and they just rounded out the hex hole.

The shop ended up sucking the fluid out of the fill hole and refilling it. I'll probably have to drill out the plug.
Old 06-04-15, 06:00 PM
new2012jee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I already rounded mine out. Hopefully I can get a link or replacement part for a bolt type plug.
Old 06-05-15, 09:26 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I always felt that they never actually do the diff drain till you start getting up there in mileage, alot of times they just wager that you would never check and even if you did there is no way to really say they did or didn't or you would probably be doing it yourself.
+1

I think that happens all the time, especially in a situation where someone brings one in at 30k miles.
Old 06-09-15, 08:37 AM
Jimbobaja
Driver School Candidate

So talked to Lexus parts guys and they said to give face of plug sharp rap w/ flat face of ball pein hammer, mine 16 ozs., to free tension. Worked great. They weren't sure why it works, but been their solution and works MOST of the time. popped free w/ 18 in.x 1/2 in. breaker bar w/ 1/2 in. 10 mm impact hex head and minimal force. Also, their solution for plugs that don't respond well, chisel around outside of plug edge driving in counterclockwise direction to free up. Thank goodness didn't have to do that as might have to do some serious whacking that way. Bad news, only 1 qt. drained out, took 1.5 qt. to fill per specs. Damn. no one touches my rig anymore! Thanks for all your input and help. Now to do auto. trans., power steering and brake fluid and should be good to go.
The following users liked this post:
CebuGX (06-09-18)
Old 06-09-15, 08:20 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

See my previous post to see why it works, glad to hear you got it!
Old 06-15-15, 07:46 AM
Jimbobaja
Driver School Candidate

You were/are right, flattened malleable washer enough to release pressure/tension allowing plug to pop free. I have same set-up on '98 Taco 4x4, but don't remember this being an issue. Got a replacement plug and washer as kinda buggered hex slot using impact gun. Hoping not going to have a problem getting 5 mm hex off " CHECK" plug in A/T. Supposed to only be torqued to 15 ft-lbf, but we'll see. It has a crush washer, so hopefully should be ok. Thanks for input/help. I know a lot about a few things and a little about a lot of things, but I don't know it all about anything, so always learning.
Old 06-09-18, 04:14 PM
CebuGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jimbobaja
So talked to Lexus parts guys and they said to give face of plug sharp rap w/ flat face of ball pein hammer, mine 16 ozs., to free tension. Worked great. They weren't sure why it works, but been their solution and works MOST of the time. popped free w/ 18 in.x 1/2 in. breaker bar w/ 1/2 in. 10 mm impact hex head and minimal force. Also, their solution for plugs that don't respond well, chisel around outside of plug edge driving in counterclockwise direction to free up. Thank goodness didn't have to do that as might have to do some serious whacking that way. Bad news, only 1 qt. drained out, took 1.5 qt. to fill per specs. Damn. no one touches my rig anymore! Thanks for all your input and help. Now to do auto. trans., power steering and brake fluid and should be good to go.

I was doubtful at first but whaddyaknow worked like a charm!
Old 07-01-18, 09:10 AM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Had the same issue with mine so I gave up and just used a vacuum pump. Sucked out 1 liter of dark oil and squirted 1.3 AMSOIL year oil back in until it started to leak out the fill hole. Job done, so I decided to leave the drain plug for another day.