GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Question on handling...OEM performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-15, 05:41 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
its the same rear axle as a 4runner or FJ cruiser, just use whatever those guys are using on theirs, it should be on IH8mud if not in the 120 series section (the GX is a 120 series).

found it, its the Bilstein 33-187174
its called a 2" lift shock, but it can be used at stock ride height as well.
if you look on amazon, there are lots of reviews from 4runner owners and even gx470 owners at the bottom.
http://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-33-18.../dp/B007N6R2NM
So I ordered this and just received it. It says that it is a 2" lift shock. What would I need to do to keep it stock height. I'm sure my indy mechanic would know, but I'd like to know too in advance. Is there anything additional I need to buy to make it stock height? The front adjustable Billstein came with a ring type thing which can be used to adjust the height. Also, I want to confirm that I should set the front at .85" to balance out with the rear? That will be OK with the front stock spring? Also, do I need to set the stock shocks setting (comfort/sport) to anything specific before taking out the shocks? Also, before the mechanic lifts the GX, do I need to turn off anything to avoid the airbags from going bad?

I'm planning to get the front and back shocks installed tomorrow, so getting very nervous from deviating from stock parts especially because our suspension is so complicated. I hope everything goes well Keeping my fingers crossed for a better ride after the switch.
Old 07-03-15, 07:50 AM
new2012jee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matsui
So I ordered this and just received it. It says that it is a 2" lift shock. What would I need to do to keep it stock height. I'm sure my indy mechanic would know, but I'd like to know too in advance. Is there anything additional I need to buy to make it stock height? The front adjustable Billstein came with a ring type thing which can be used to adjust the height. Also, I want to confirm that I should set the front at .85" to balance out with the rear? That will be OK with the front stock spring? Also, do I need to set the stock shocks setting (comfort/sport) to anything specific before taking out the shocks? Also, before the mechanic lifts the GX, do I need to turn off anything to avoid the airbags from going bad?

I'm planning to get the front and back shocks installed tomorrow, so getting very nervous from deviating from stock parts especially because our suspension is so complicated. I hope everything goes well Keeping my fingers crossed for a better ride after the switch.
Gah, I am having mine done tomorrow too, the fronts at least, and am unsure whether the .85" actually levels the car out with a stock set up rear. I may just say go for it, set to .85".
Old 07-03-15, 11:38 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Originally Posted by new2012jee
Gah, I am having mine done tomorrow too, the fronts at least, and am unsure whether the .85" actually levels the car out with a stock set up rear. I may just say go for it, set to .85".
Did you maintain the stock height in the rear? Was there anything extra you had to do to the rear shocks to do that since it says on the box that it gives a 2" lift?
Old 07-03-15, 11:46 AM
new2012jee
Rookie

Originally Posted by Matsui
Did you maintain the stock height in the rear? Was there anything extra you had to do to the rear shocks to do that since it says on the box that it gives a 2" lift?
no, it remains stock. The 5100's are suitable for setups with 0 to 2" inches of lift. They don't lift anything.
Old 07-06-15, 11:28 AM
new2012jee
Rookie

Okay, this is done! The ride is 100X better, but we were pretty much able to confirm, these were the original shocks from day 1 on this GX. They were completely compressed upon removal. My comparison is essentially against that...

This truck rides so smooth now. cobble roads that used to shake front end, are now quiet (Used to vibrate the glovebox and items in cupholders to hell). The overall ride is better and quieter. I did use the .85" postion on the 5100, and gained a little over an inch. I raised my sensors on rear to match, so it looks even now.

This is with suspension stock, minus the shocks/struts.
Old 04-19-16, 06:37 PM
NinerGX
Driver School Candidate

Good info ! Thanks. I have the same issues with leaky shocks and poor handling. I will be changing to the 5100's as can't seem to find any info on lowering the GX slightly. Do you have any thoughts on that or links I can check out. Most of my driving is city and winding mountain roads so I am never off road.

Thanks!
Old 09-12-17, 10:02 PM
alien99
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear shock

Originally Posted by new2012jee
Thanks for the advice Ali, put the 5100 rears on last night, night and day difference. I can only guess those were original OEM I replaced, 2005, 109,000 miles on them. They were moving if I just turned them upside down 😕

I guess fronts are next, might try first notch for that mild 3/4" lift
Do you loose any features after installing Bilstein 33-187174 in the rear? Thought I saw some mentions about loosing comfort/sport feature.

Mine 2005 gx 470 is at 165k and I am noticing rust and cracks in the rear shocks' housings.

Thanks
Alien99
Old 09-14-17, 10:31 AM
chikailo
Driver School Candidate

Similar question - if I swap out the FRONT shock absorber with non-OEM (such as KYB or Bilstein) while keeping the REAR setup stock, will I lose the Comfort/Sport select feature?
Old 09-15-17, 07:40 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chikailo
Similar question - if I swap out the FRONT shock absorber with non-OEM (such as KYB or Bilstein) while keeping the REAR setup stock, will I lose the Comfort/Sport select feature?
Yes, you will loose the comfort/sport feature if you replace just the front or back with Bilstein.