SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Ride seem hard even after new tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-02, 12:52 PM
lawprof
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride seem hard even after new tires

The ride on my '92 SC400 seems harder over bumps than before, though the change has been so gradual I am not entirely sure about this. The ride was not softened noticably by new tires. The car has 83K miles and the shocks have not been replaced since I bought the car in '96 with 40K miles so they are probably original.

I am bringing it into my Lexus dealer (Watertown, which I have been happy with) for an oil change and detail. When I asked them to road test the suspension a few months ago, however, they told me everything was fine. What should I have them look for? Should I take it elsewhere? How can I tell if this just my imagination?

If I need shocks, should I get original Lexus or something aftermarket?
Old 05-19-02, 08:51 AM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also noticed that for a luxury car,the ride just wasn't all that great.
After finding out that the suspension was the same as a Supra,I found some springs/shocks from a '96 TwinTurbo model,and the ride really didn't get any worse as far as bumps go,but it handles incredible now.
I think the time developing the shocks just wasn't spent on the SCs,and if my current,Supra oem shocks wear out,I'll have to get a set of Bilsteins to replace them(which is what I wanted in the first place,but they don't make them to fit an SC,but do for the Supra;different spring design where it meets the shock).
The Bilsteins are probably the only way to get this car to actually ride better,without sacrificing handling/safety.
I had replaced the rear shocks with some new,oem units,had them on the car for about 6mos.,and they hadn't made any positive difference in ride quality.
Old 05-19-02, 04:07 PM
lawprof
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have an opinion about the Tokico Strut Shock Set
Tokico Gas Shock/Strut set sold by www.lexussc400.com which offers this description: Better handling without loosing the luxury aspect of the ride. (1992-1997 SC400) $ 349.00?

To be clear, I think my ride is harder than it used to be. It is just hard to tell.
Old 05-19-02, 04:17 PM
djl
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Tokicos

Hi lawprof,

I just bought 4 Tokicos for my 93 SC400, will be putting them in next weekend. They look like high quality units, visually anyway, and they come with lifetime warranty. I have heard nothing but good comments about them. Do a search in Yahoo and you'll find places selling them for around $300 for a set of 4. I have OEM shocks that have 96,000 miles on them, I'm sure the new one will make a huge difference.

DJL
Old 05-20-02, 04:06 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

'92 SC with 83K miles with original shocks...um, yeah, your ride will probably be bit stiffer than when it was newer...

Along with new shocks (and springs), you may also want to get some new front bushings...oh, you'll get new a-arms also since Lexus doesn't sell the bushings seperately.

I just had my a-arms/bushing, engine mounts, tranny mounts, and my 60K mile service done on a '92 SC400 and the car drives wonderfully....the car now has 65K miles on it.

Not as "soft" as my 2001 GS430 used to be (before all the mods of course!), but then again, you can't really compare it to an 11 year SPORTS COUPE...

Also, if you're concerned with having a mushy/soft ride, I don't recommend aftermarket "performance" shocks...get stock replacements (or aftermarket equivalents)...