GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

285's on a stock GX

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-15, 12:47 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GreatHim
wrong, you DO NOT need a lift to fit 285s. i bought my GX in dec and 2 days after owning in it put on my 285s off my 4runner and havent looked back. now as @Ali SC3 stated the tundra wheels and FJC wheels give more clearance, and are what im using so i cant say to a factual statement that the stock GX wheels will work, but you can fit a 285 tire on a stock height GX and it remain driveable. yes there is some slight rub at one spot but thats easily fixed with a heat gun to the inner fender liner and front of the running board/lower fender flare inside the wheel well.
I bought these sequoia wheels which seems to be in OK condition. I'm debating whether to leave them as is or spray paint them. I don't want the plasti-dip as it looks too dull and I like the gloss.

I think you had these wheels on yours prior to putting the FJ and also painted them. Please let me know which exact spray paint you used so I can buy the same ones to spray on mine. Did you also use a clear coat on top of them to make the paint glossy?

I'm also planning to go the 285 route as my rims are 15mm. Should I get 285/60 to be safe from rubbing on stock height or can I go with 285/70? What did you use?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails 285's on a stock GX-img_1292.jpg   285's on a stock GX-img_1291.jpg   285's on a stock GX-img_1290.jpg   285's on a stock GX-img_1289.jpg  
Old 11-16-15, 11:20 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

look at what tires area available, 285/70/17 is popular and widely available, 285/60/17 I am not sure about at all.
you might have to do some trimming on the corner of the side steps if you still have them, and the front fender liner. not sure if it will touch the actual front bumper at stock height. it will also depend on the tires, some a/t tires are a little bigger than others even in the same size.
Old 11-16-15, 11:42 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Thanks. I have decided that I will just go with 265/70. The Nitto G2 285/70 are about $50/tire more so it is not worth it.

I purchased 1 center cap from Amazon that was missing for one of my wheel, but the color is too dark - I think I bought Charcoal. My wheels are a bit darker than the silver ones that you have but not as dark as charcoal. Do you know of a good source who might carry what I need or point me in the right direction?

I've decided not to spray paint my wheels. Based on what I read on the forum, that paint is not durable and would start to peel in about 3 years. I'm planning to keep the GX for a lot longer than that.

Also, do you know if the GX lug nuts will fit onto these?
Old 11-16-15, 12:24 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

the original color of the darker wheels that came on the sequoia is called "hyper silver".
the first version of the wheels on the tundra came in a lighter regular silver.

265/70 is perfect if you aren't lifting the vehicle, you have all of the look without much of the fuss of rubbing and trimming etc...
my 03 is lifted and has 285/70, but when it comes time to replace tires on the 04 that is stock height I am going 265/70 A/T to keep it simple and look nicer.

if its a color other than those 2, its probably been painted before or the center cap is the wrong color.
the wheels in the photo look like the hyper silver or possibly have been repainted.

if you clean up the wheels really well before painting and then clear them it would be fine for many years.
The clear is what protects it from chipping and flaking and also give is a glossier finish (as a note you can clear over plastidip it just makes it difficult to peel off).
Its all in the prep and also you need low humidity and warmer temps on the day you paint and its very important for the clear coat if its too humid it will turn white or make the paint run.
So don't decide to do it on a rainy cold day you would be better off leaving them as is because you will just have to redo them later plus all the work to scrape off the extra layers.

I find if the toyota wheels aren't flaking, they probably haven't been repainted and with some time and elbow grease, I bet you can clean them until they look almost new again.
mine were covered in brake dust and just random dirt and whatnot from sitting in a backyard, I thought they would need a repaint, but when I soaked them with cleaner and took a scrubber to them, they came out looking brand new and didn't have any flaking or chips at all, so give that a try first unless you really want to change colors.

The hyper silver version of that wheel is arguably the best 6 lug wheel toyota made. Love the color.
oh and the GX lugnuts are the same as the sequoia and the tundra (6 lug) wheels, I bolted them on with my old lugnuts so my wheel lock wouldn't change.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 11-16-15 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-16-15, 12:40 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Yes, for all the reasons you've listed, I'm just going to stick with 265/70 on stock setup.

The wheels are original hyper silver. It seems that Amazon only carries Charcoal or silver :/ I'm going to avoid the hassle of painting them and keep them as is. The only places the paint is chipping is around the outer rim on couple of wheels. From a distant I don't think it will be very obvious.

Really looking forward to mounting the new tires and wheels this week - been searching for these for a while. The only hurdle is finding the matching center caps...

Thanks!
Old 11-16-15, 01:00 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

no problem, there was a company on ebay that has the centercaps from china that are completely blank, they dont have the toyota emblems in the center. I put my Teq badges on them and they look great, hard to tell they aren't the original kind. you can always get a set of the blanks in hypersilver, and find some lexus emblems to stick on there, then it will say lexus instead of toyota if you care about that. it took a while to get them since they come from china I got excuses for like 4 weeks before they were delivered (even though the seller is in cali), but its worth it in the end.
Old 11-23-15, 11:09 AM
GreatHim
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matsui
I bought these sequoia wheels which seems to be in OK condition. I'm debating whether to leave them as is or spray paint them. I don't want the plasti-dip as it looks too dull and I like the gloss.

I think you had these wheels on yours prior to putting the FJ and also painted them. Please let me know which exact spray paint you used so I can buy the same ones to spray on mine. Did you also use a clear coat on top of them to make the paint glossy?

I'm also planning to go the 285 route as my rims are 15mm. Should I get 285/60 to be safe from rubbing on stock height or can I go with 285/70? What did you use?

Thanks.
no i did not paint my wheels, they are the stock hyper silver of the limited tundra/sequoia. they have a lot more "shine" to them than the stock tundra/sequoia wheels
Old 12-04-18, 06:01 PM
RobinHou
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Only one data point: 2003 GX, no lift, stock wheels, with well used BFG KO2 285/70r17 tires, no rub for the last 60 miles of street and highway driving. Will test them out on trails during the holidays and report back.
Old 10-20-22, 06:13 AM
adamncincy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster here!

Question, and I'm posting this bc I see here most are discussing a 17" rim, idk, maybe that doesn't make a difference ...

I've found a great deal on a set of tires and rims and I am hoping I can make this work.

Rims are 16"
Tires are: A/T 285/75R/16

(came off a 07 Toyota Tacoma Club Cab)

Am I going to have rubbing even though I am going down to 16" VS 17"?

Also, I read somewhere about having caliper issues with a rim smaller than 17", why would I if true?

Last question, I'd also like to install spacers, maybe 1-1.5" out ... is this doable without lifting and would this help, make things worse or neutral?

Thank you in advance!
Old 10-20-22, 03:57 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Maybe someone is running 16's but I would be concerned about them clearing the brake calipers.

Chip H.
Old 10-21-22, 08:03 AM
adamncincy
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by chiph9
Maybe someone is running 16's but I would be concerned about them clearing the brake calipers.

Chip H.
Is that because of the thickness of the tire?

Can anyone else chime in that may have had experience with a 16" rim? I'm running out of time to make a decision on this purchase! Much appreciated!
Old 10-21-22, 11:03 AM
adamncincy
3rd Gear

By adding spacers, could this potentially avoid issues between having a 16" rim and the brake calipers?
Old 10-21-22, 03:51 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

The folks on IH8Mud say the 16" wheels will *sometimes* clear the rotors. Depends on the specific wheel design.
If you really want 16's, make sure you can return them if they don't fit.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/16-...-gx470.794798/

Spacers move the wheels out.
Clearance is about the inside diameter of the wheel and whether it will hit the brake calipers.

Chip H.
Old 11-07-22, 08:47 PM
dzueger
5th Gear

I bought a set of OEM rims with some 235/80/17 on them for $160 for the set! No rubbing or issues at all on my stock suspension, plus I am going 9% faster than what the speedometer says, so I am saving gas. LOL I'm going to need a tow when I get a flat though... Tires are about 1.5" taller and narrower plus or minus.

Old 11-08-22, 05:55 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by dzueger
I bought a set of OEM rims with some 235/80/17 on them for $160 for the set! No rubbing or issues at all on my stock suspension, plus I am going 9% faster than what the speedometer says, so I am saving gas. LOL I'm going to need a tow when I get a flat though... Tires are about 1.5" taller and narrower plus or minus.
That's a great deal, but those are not 285's.