GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2004 Lexus GX470 replace LED light in center storage compartment

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-14, 01:51 PM
hobo145
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Lexus GX470 replace LED light in center storage compartment

Hey Guys,

I did some extensive searching and couldn't find anything on this problem. I want to replace the LED light found in the center storage compartment (just behind the main cup holder). Is the light soldered directly to the wires or is it replaceable?

If you have a guide I can follow and the type of bulb found that would be great!

Thanks,
Phillip K

P.S. I'm brand new to this board and don't quite know the rules yet, hope I didn't break any.
Old 03-22-14, 02:49 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by hobo145
Hey Guys,

I did some extensive searching and couldn't find anything on this problem. I want to replace the LED light found in the center storage compartment (just behind the main cup holder). Is the light soldered directly to the wires or is it replaceable?

If you have a guide I can follow and the type of bulb found that would be great!

Thanks,
Phillip K

P.S. I'm brand new to this board and don't quite know the rules yet, hope I didn't break any.
In my 2004 I have the rear entertainment dvd accessory and there is no light in my compartment. I dont think unless mine is burned out I will take a look and see.
Old 03-22-14, 05:08 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

As far as I know, there is no light in the center storage compartment. If I'm wrong and there is one, mine has been burned out since I bought my GX almost 9 years. And I don't think there is any difference between whether you have rear seat entertainment system or not because, different from mrblister, I don't have it on my GX, and I don't have the light in the center compartment, either.
Old 03-22-14, 05:14 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

My 2004 has a long narrow frosted plastic window on the rear wall of the compartment. Not sure if it is a light. But why would it be there unless it WAS a light? Never seen it lit with the truck running or off. Hmmm. What is it really????
Old 03-22-14, 05:20 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 470reasons
My 2004 has a long narrow frosted plastic window on the rear wall of the compartment. Not sure if it is a light. But why would it be there unless it WAS a light? Never seen it lit with the truck running or off. Hmmm. What is it really????
I just went outside to look more carefully, and, yes, there is a light at the rear of the compartment (which I didn't see before because it was covered up by items in the compartment. The light comes on only when the headlights are on, and it is a green light. Sorry for creating confusion with my previous reply.
Old 03-22-14, 05:54 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Rechecked mine with the lights on - nothing. Doesn't look like it will be easy to get to the bulb. Prime candidate for a (soft) blue LED. So, like hobo145 asked, how do you get to the bulb???
Old 03-22-14, 06:07 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Any one got a picture of this errant light
Old 03-23-14, 07:25 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
Any one got a picture of this errant light

I tried using a jewelers flat head to pop the cover off but the cover is held in tight by the bar (yellow circle) so there's no way to remove it without cracking it in half. It looks like the only way to get to the bulb is to remove the console itself.
Old 03-23-14, 09:37 AM
470reasons
Pole Position

Thanks for the how-to RCsGX.

Whew! Not worth the effort !!! Probably break some plastic tabs doing the replacement. With bright LED dome lights, not needed anyway.
Old 03-23-14, 01:00 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

I looked at my compartment and to my surprise I have the light and it does work when headlights on. Never knew it was there
Old 03-23-14, 02:51 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
I looked at my compartment and to my surprise I have the light and it does work when headlights on. Never knew it was there
It's a pretty worthless light. I'm not sure why it's even there?
Old 03-23-14, 04:36 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

If/when mine burns out, unless I'm in an especially compulsive mood, I think I'll just leave it. Considering that I've had the vehicle for 9 years and that, until yesterday, I didn't even know that the light was there, I can't imagine that my ability to use the vehicle will be hampered in any way without it.
Old 03-23-14, 05:05 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 752 Likes on 616 Posts

It's probably in there because the light from the LEDs from up by the sunroof controls won't reach.

Chip H.
Old 02-01-20, 11:17 AM
GXRunna
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center Console Light

[QUOTE=lesz;8444906]As far as I know, there is no light in the center storage compartment. If I'm wrong and there is one, mine has been burned out since I bought my GX almost 9 years. And I don't think there is any difference between whether you have rear seat entertainment system or not because, different from mrblister, I don't have it on my GX, and I don't have the light in the center compartment, either.[/QUOTE

For all you questioning if the center console has an LED light, ANSWER: YES there is one! At the very rear of the center console box facing forward is where the light is at!!!
BAD NEWS: For whatever reason the engineers decided instead of putting a replaceable light bulb for the light, they have put in a full light assembly that if it goes out you have to replace entirely, THUS if like me that is switching all interior & exterior Lights to White LED lighting, I have not seen any options other then buying the OEM light which is only an Incandesent light which is much dimmer & very yellow!
Old 02-01-20, 12:04 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Default Light

[

i have the rear entertainment option and there is a small led light in the compartment it’s in front of my dvd that is in the rear of this compartment

QUOTE=GXRunna;10723047]
Originally Posted by lesz
As far as I know, there is no light in the center storage compartment. If I'm wrong and there is one, mine has been burned out since I bought my GX almost 9 years. And I don't think there is any difference between whether you have rear seat entertainment system or not because, different from mrblister, I don't have it on my GX, and I don't have the light in the center compartment, either.[/QUOTE

For all you questioning if the center console has an LED light, ANSWER: YES there is one! At the very rear of the center console box facing forward is where the light is at!!!
BAD NEWS: For whatever reason the engineers decided instead of putting a replaceable light bulb for the light, they have put in a full light assembly that if it goes out you have to replace entirely, THUS if like me that is switching all interior & exterior Lights to White LED lighting, I have not seen any options other then buying the OEM light which is only an Incandesent light which is much dimmer & very yellow!

Quick Reply: 2004 Lexus GX470 replace LED light in center storage compartment