GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

"new" GX470 owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-14, 08:05 PM
MaltyB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "new" GX470 owner

I just bought a 2004 GX470 with 96K miles on it. I've been researching for a while before pulling the trigger but I'm still confused about a few things. I had a Toyota dealer do a once-over on the car and CV boots were leaking but aside from that things look pretty good.

I've used the search, but what is the current/new thinking on the following topics? Please feel free to help if you can!

1) Rims. Mine are corroded/bubbled as hell. Seems like most folks got them replaced under warranty, but not my previous owner. Can I refurbish or do I have to spend $150/each to get new ones?

2) Bluetooth Phone: I have Nav/ML, no phone integration on 2004s. I'd like to play music through Bluetooth as well, and/or add an AUX port. Anything still on the market for those who never upgraded?

3) Seat Leather - like many, the drivers seat is quite creased and doesn't look great (but no cracks!). I test drove a 2006 at a dealer that seemed to be re-dyed or painted somehow - looked pretty good but perhaps wouldn't last? Any clues on how to make it look better in a long term way?

4) Steering Wheel - the tan part of the steering wheel is scratched and worn away badly in parts. Any advice on how to repair?
Old 03-13-14, 09:25 PM
msn619
Driver School Candidate

Welcome to our small community
Old 03-14-14, 05:32 AM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome!

I'd just get a newer used 4runner/FJ wheels with tires already on them, but if you like the OEM look, place in Highland Park (If you're in Chicago area) resurfaces wheels. (not sure what they charge, but I'm going to guess less than 150$) http://www.rimrepaircenter.com/

I have an 08 GX, but I thought the 04's were the same when it comes to aux ports... mine is next to the seat warmer switches.

I think most auto interior shops can help you with the seats and steering wheel issue. I got my GS from McGrath in Chicago few years ago, there's an evidence that the wood part of my GS steering wheel was refinished, and seats cleaned/re-dyed in some areas, I think they can tell you where they get their cars done if you call them. I'm happy with the job they did on the GS as the repairs are holding up great.
Old 03-14-14, 06:18 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 753 Likes on 617 Posts

Try some Lexol leather conditioner. Apply per the directions, wait a few days, and repeat. See if the creases start to minimize as it softens the leather.

Chip H.
Old 03-14-14, 08:01 AM
ChiTownGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lmcqueen
Welcome!

I'd just get a newer used 4runner/FJ wheels with tires already on them, but if you like the OEM look, place in Highland Park (If you're in Chicago area) resurfaces wheels. (not sure what they charge, but I'm going to guess less than 150$) http://www.rimrepaircenter.com/

I have an 08 GX, but I thought the 04's were the same when it comes to aux ports... mine is next to the seat warmer switches.

I think most auto interior shops can help you with the seats and steering wheel issue. I got my GS from McGrath in Chicago few years ago, there's an evidence that the wood part of my GS steering wheel was refinished, and seats cleaned/re-dyed in some areas, I think they can tell you where they get their cars done if you call them. I'm happy with the job they did on the GS as the repairs are holding up great.
I have bought 3 CPO cars from three different delaers in the Chicago area. They all use a place called Carnica to detail their cars before they put them on the lot. You can work with them direct too. They are in Desplaines: http://carnica.com/
Old 03-14-14, 08:04 AM
Nothnghead
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MaltyB
2) Bluetooth Phone: I have Nav/ML, no phone integration on 2004s. I'd like to play music through Bluetooth as well, and/or add an AUX port. Anything still on the market for those who never upgraded?
Look at Vaistech or Grom Audio.
Old 03-14-14, 08:06 AM
shane4x4
Driver School Candidate

Welcome to the group!
Old 03-14-14, 09:23 AM
MaltyB
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Everyone!
I am indeed in Chicago, I'll look into the placed you guys mentioned.

Here are a few photos of the car in general and the steering wheel.

City Hall getting tags/stickers:
"new" GX470 owner-baqaqyn.jpg

"new" GX470 owner-ccgb1tp.jpg

"new" GX470 owner-po7fo6y.jpg

"new" GX470 owner-pc57f9z.jpg
Old 03-14-14, 09:51 AM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice!
Must be nice getting the plates right away, as I'm still waiting on my permanent license plates, I bought the GX out of state and the dealership was short TWO BUCKS for license fees, springfield sent the paperwork back to the dealership, and long story medium, I still have no clue when I'm getting the plates... lol.

Before spending any money for wheel/interior fix, I'd get a set of Weathertech floor liners and a new set of floor mats. The winter isn't over yet, I'm going to guess more snow and salt.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Genuine-03-09-Lexus-GX470-with-Rear-Entertainment-IVORY-OEM-floor-mat-set-/181065773852?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ALexus&hash=item2a285c731c&vxp=mtr
(I'm guessing you have factory RES, looking at the DVD case in the picture, factory RES floor on passinger side is bit different)
Old 03-14-14, 11:42 AM
MaltyB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lmcqueen

Before spending any money for wheel/interior fix, I'd get a set of Weathertech floor liners and a new set of floor mats. The winter isn't over yet, I'm going to guess more snow and salt.
Yeah the seller provided new mats (front and back, not the one in the full-rear) brand new in the box. I assume he got the right ones, I'm waiting for the winter to finally die off before getting a major interior detail and putting them in. Maybe Weathertech for next winter!

I had my car registered, plated, stickered (including permit parking where I live) in like 30 mins.

I think I'm going to use a cassette adapter and my bluetooth headset for now. Costs me like $8 and it doesn't look great, but adding bluetooth with the whole microphone/speaker additions kinda sounds like it sucks. I want bluetooth pairing to the car, with ability to take calls (mic+speakers) and put music through as well.

The really good news was timing belt and water pump has been done already. Others I looked at in 85-105K miles were not. Dealers were willing to add that in but then became inflexible with the price.
Old 03-14-14, 12:10 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

I have a 04 also, if I didn't know better I would say that's my front seat. Impossible to keep that edge looking good...you slide over that part of the seat getting out. My truck has 145,000 miles and the seat has looked the same for the past 5 years.
Old 03-14-14, 12:50 PM
Tipler
Pit Crew

welcome to the board ,
I own a 04 GX with 32000 miles .
enjoy driving
Old 03-14-14, 01:08 PM
Nothnghead
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MaltyB
I think I'm going to use a cassette adapter and my bluetooth headset for now. Costs me like $8 and it doesn't look great, but adding bluetooth with the whole microphone/speaker additions kinda sounds like it sucks. I want bluetooth pairing to the car, with ability to take calls (mic+speakers) and put music through as well.
It's really not bad at all. It took me less than an hour to put the GROM kit in mine with aux input, USB charging adapter, BT microphone, plus I added a 30-pin adapter for my old ipod in glove box. I chose this one because it seemed more affordable since I don't have nav. All i had to do was pop off the a-pillar trip piece, center dash surround, un-bolt the stereo and move the plugs around. I never had to cut a single wire or drill/cut any trim pieces.
Old 03-16-14, 11:06 PM
mann777

Received 65 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the CL - GX first Gen forum, The truck is looking ood. On your queries on the interiors, I had the similar problem it would be waste on the wax and other liquids telling that will go. I wasted a lot of money on the Meguiars and other brands. Finally redid the upholstery and looked brand new,. Start with the Steering wheel and then go for the seats, most the Driver and co driver seats are worst affected. cheers