Wheel Well Engine Compartment Flaps, Looking For A Part - Club Lexus Forums

Log In 

Wheel Well Engine Compartment Flaps, Looking For A Part

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-14, 11:12 AM   #1
BradTank
Lexus Test Driver
Thread Starter
 
BradTank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 945
Default Wheel Well Engine Compartment Flaps, Looking For A Part

I noticed on the GX, the rubber flaps that are in between the wheel well and engine compartment are missing on both sides. On mine, they look like they've just been torn over time.

I searched here, and apparently someone was saying dealers removed these over heating concerns?

My issue is, on the passenger side, there's nothing blocking the wheel well from the alternator, and it can't be good to get water and all the other sort of debris sprayed right on it like that.

Get anyone confirm if there was indeed a TSB to remove these flaps, and the original part number if I wanted to replace?

Thanks
BradTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-14, 12:05 PM   #2
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver
 
Booyah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,481
Default

Heck I have never heard of this at all! that is a dealers line of B.S if I have ever heard of lol....Dont know the part nunber, but yes get them and install!
Booyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-14, 12:18 PM   #3
BradTank
Lexus Test Driver
Thread Starter
 
BradTank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah View Post
Heck I have never heard of this at all! that is a dealers line of B.S if I have ever heard of lol....Dont know the part nunber, but yes get them and install!
I agree it sounds fishy, but this was the thread I was referring to, wanted to see if there was any merit to it:
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-f...rotection.html

It just doesn't seem like it would be a big factor in cooling, and I don't like all of that debris getting knocked onto the accessories/ serpentine belt.
BradTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-14, 12:33 PM   #4
RCsGX
Lexus Champion
 
RCsGX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ★ᚱᚱ★
Posts: 1,811
Default

I would think that the huge plastic Lexus engine cover and the other 2 plastic engine bay covers would cause over heating issues before hose little flimsy dust / dirt shields would.




The dust / dirt shield part numbers can be found below:
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X470-2005.html
RCsGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-14, 06:46 PM   #5
colink1
Driver School Candidate
 
colink1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: TX
Posts: 15
Default

Are you talking about these - found under front fenders and dash apron:

FRONT FENDER APRON SEAL UPPER
FRONT FENDER SEAL
FRONT FENDER APRON SEAL (RH - RIGHT / PASSENGER SIDE) , MARK : FL

I just ordered these from Sewell for my 2008 GX470
colink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 08:04 AM   #6
470reasons
Pole Position
 
470reasons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: S.E. WI & Central NV
Posts: 346
Default

I just ordered a set from Toyotapartsoverstock. Haven't received a shipping confirmation yet. I did get an email from them stating they could not confirm the parts would fit my GX and that they would not refund my money if the parts did not fit. Told them to ship the parts. The prices were much lower than from Lexus dealers. I will report in on if they are the correct parts.

This is what was ordered:

(2) SEAL, FRONT FENDER; SHIELD, FRONT FENDER SPLASH, REAR LH; SHIELD, FRONT FENDER SPLASH, REAR RH 5388635020 $17.68

(1) SEAL, FRONT FENDER APRON, FRONT RH; SEAL, FRONT FENDER APRON, RH; SEAL, FRONT FENDER APRON, UPPER 5373535150 $16.41

(8) CLIP(FOR FRONT FENDER APRON SEAL) 9046710186 $1.39

I did not order the left-front piece since it was in good shape. Ordered the rear l +r (same part number, plus the right-front, and some mounting clips. Note: There are two different part numbers for the left-front piece (KDSS and regular-FL).

EDIT:

The shields arrived and have been installed. The fit is very floppy if the factory mounting holes are used. I used the factory holes for the top rows of fasteners and punched new holes with a Phillips head screwdriver for the others. Not sure why all that 'flop' is required. Can't believe there's that much flex in the frame.

Ordered new push pins from Amazon. Better quality and cheaper than Lexus.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009R1DQF4/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009R1DQF4/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Part number 5388635020 is for the right and left REAR shields. Just flip one shield over to make a pair.
Here are pics of both rear shields installed.




Part number 5373535150 is for the right Front shield .



Part number 5373635150 is for the left FRONT shield (non KDS)

Last edited by 470reasons; 04-21-14 at 02:24 PM.
470reasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 10:01 AM   #7
BradTank
Lexus Test Driver
Thread Starter
 
BradTank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 945
Default

I ended up just making my own with some material I had for "free", I didn't like throwing $100 at a few random sheets of plastic that will likely just tear again.

I'm amazed Lexus made these out of such fragile material for a vehicle that's supposed to be made for rugged terrain. My car has never really seen any off-road duty, yet they were all torn off. It sounds like it's a pretty common issue.
BradTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 10:12 AM   #8
470reasons
Pole Position
 
470reasons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: S.E. WI & Central NV
Posts: 346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradTank View Post
I ended up just making my own with some material I had for "free", I didn't like throwing $100 at a few random sheets of plastic that will likely just tear again.

I'm amazed Lexus made these out of such fragile material for a vehicle that's supposed to be made for rugged terrain. My car has never really seen any off-road duty, yet they were all torn off. It sounds like it's a pretty common issue.

Good for you! What material did you use? I thought about using thin aluminum sheet. When the new OEM panels arrive, I'm going to trace them on construction paper for future reference.
470reasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 11:00 AM   #9
BradTank
Lexus Test Driver
Thread Starter
 
BradTank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 470reasons View Post
Good for you! What material did you use? I thought about using thin aluminum sheet. When the new OEM panels arrive, I'm going to trace them on construction paper for future reference.
I had some random material from an old car restoration project that was a sort of polyester base and black. Similar to a trunk mat. It blended in perfectly.

You really could use anything, even something like roof tar paper would probably work. I just popped the old plastic out, cut out a rough estimate and clipped it in with the clips that were still left. Only took a few minutes. If you had some thin aluminum laying around, you could probably make one that lasted forever. Maybe spray it with a can of undercoating.

Seems to have held up fine. I figured worst case if it didn't hold up, I could always just buy the real thing, but no issues. All it's doing is blocking debris from getting into the engine compartment that could come off the tires. It doesn't seem to be getting much airflow banging it around, so it it doesn't seem to need to be anything hi tech.
BradTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-15, 07:08 PM   #10
varithms
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 470reasons View Post
I just ordered a set from Toyotapartsoverstock. Haven't received a shipping confirmation yet. I did get an email from them stating they could not confirm the parts would fit my GX and that they would not refund my money if the parts did not fit. Told them to ship the parts. The prices were much lower than from Lexus dealers. I will report in on if they are the correct parts.

This is what was ordered:

(2) SEAL, FRONT FENDER; SHIELD, FRONT FENDER SPLASH, REAR LH; SHIELD, FRONT FENDER SPLASH, REAR RH 5388635020 $17.68

(1) SEAL, FRONT FENDER APRON, FRONT RH; SEAL, FRONT FENDER APRON, RH; SEAL, FRONT FENDER APRON, UPPER 5373535150 $16.41

(8) CLIP(FOR FRONT FENDER APRON SEAL) 9046710186 $1.39

I did not order the left-front piece since it was in good shape. Ordered the rear l +r (same part number, plus the right-front, and some mounting clips. Note: There are two different part numbers for the left-front piece (KDSS and regular-FL).

EDIT:

The shields arrived and have been installed. The fit is very floppy if the factory mounting holes are used. I used the factory holes for the top rows of fasteners and punched new holes with a Phillips head screwdriver for the others. Not sure why all that 'flop' is required. Can't believe there's that much flex in the frame.

Ordered new push pins from Amazon. Better quality and cheaper than Lexus.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Part number 5388635020 is for the right and left REAR shields. Just flip one shield over to make a pair.
Here are pics of both rear shields installed.




Part number 5373535150 is for the right Front shield .



Part number 5373635150 is for the left FRONT shield (non KDS)
Thanks for posting this. I noticed a belt slip and squeel after hitting a puddle this weekend. Sure enough, the right front and rear are gone. The left front was fine (like yours) and the left rear was gone..Thanks again for posting part numbers. My alternator looks like the shower curtain was pulled back. It's exposed!!
varithms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-15, 12:05 PM   #11
mrblister
Lexus Champion
 
mrblister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pa
Posts: 2,092
Default

Mine were missing on my 2004 gx 470 when I bought it. Had the dealer replace them on there dime
mrblister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-15, 02:46 PM   #12
Ali SC3
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (10)
 
Ali SC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CO
Posts: 9,115
Default

Mine were there before I ripped a few of them out when working on the shocks =)
you start by trying to work around them, but usually they just fall apart.
I wouldn't waste money on that I would maybe bolt in some spare ABS plastic pieces and drill a few holes. If the dealer replaces them for free then sure why not.
Ali SC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-16, 09:49 AM   #13
memokc
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 61
Default Push Pin part #

Quote:
Originally Posted by colink1 View Post
Are you talking about these - found under front fenders and dash apron:

FRONT FENDER APRON SEAL UPPER
FRONT FENDER SEAL
FRONT FENDER APRON SEAL (RH - RIGHT / PASSENGER SIDE) , MARK : FL

I just ordered these from Sewell for my 2008 GX470
I ordered mine and have them in but a bunch of the plastic push in pins are in bad shape after removing them, does anyone know the part number for the black plastic pins that hold in the rubber aprons? Thanks for your help!
memokc is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any suggestion on Mud flaps? LexusFirst IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) 52 08-22-16 03:01 PM
Looking for a replacement GX470 Mud Flap BobRules GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) 4 02-09-16 05:16 AM
Mud flaps daman7676 GX - 2nd Gen (2010-present) 7 08-06-15 11:22 PM
What are these two flaps for? harrier240 RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) 22 07-09-07 07:59 AM
More Air to Injen Intake TXFM SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010) 9 01-03-07 04:56 PM


Tags
450, 470, engine, flap, gx, lexus, liner, lx, lx450, plastic, shield, shields, splash, water, wheel

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:24 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved