GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Suspension enhancment

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-14, 03:59 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Suspension enhancment

https://www.etrailer.com/susp-2004_Lexus_GX+470.htm

Found this on etrailer.com Its listed as a suspension enhancement available fothe gx470 front and rear suspension. Basically it replace the standard bump stops for the front and rear. Sounds like it might insulate the bumps that we get when driving. Has anyone seen this or know anything about them They are kind of pricey for about $ 100.00 per wheel adds up to $ 400.00 for the parts plus labor. In theory it sounds plausible !!!
Old 01-27-14, 04:26 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

A lot of Taco and 4Runner guys run wheelers offroad and timbren bumpstops...mainly front though but there are a few 4Runner guys running them in the back. Whether they work well w/ our airbags / shocks I don't know.
Old 01-27-14, 06:11 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might be worth a shot?
Old 01-27-14, 06:36 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by redrocks
Might be worth a shot?
may give them a shot when the spring arrives. Installation is simple just pull tires and install. I wonder if these could affect my warranty
Old 01-28-14, 08:46 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

I ordered them this morning. I found a 5 % coupon off on line so I was able to use it also free shipping net cost
$ 373.00 Will ship mid February. I wont install till its warm. I have to mount chrome gx460 rims as well. I am going to buy a portable battery powered impact tool. Any one got advice on what impact tool to buy. I don't want to go to harbor freight I would like to get more then one time use of it.
Old 01-28-14, 11:02 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mrblister
I am going to buy a portable battery powered impact tool. Any one got advice on what impact tool to buy.
If you're wanting an impact for suspension work I'd recommend the 3/8" Milwaukee 2654. It's handled everything and anything I've thrown at it. It has 3 settings, 30ftlb., 75ftlb., and 200ftlb., so you can use it on smaller fasteners too.

I have this kit: Milwaukee 2654-22CT
- specs can be found here: http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-t...less/2654-22ct

Looking forward to see if those bump stops work.
Old 02-01-14, 08:27 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RCsGX
If you're wanting an impact for suspension work I'd recommend the 3/8" Milwaukee 2654. It's handled everything and anything I've thrown at it. It has 3 settings, 30ftlb., 75ftlb., and 200ftlb., so you can use it on smaller fasteners too.

I have this kit: Milwaukee 2654-22CT
- specs can be found here: http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-t...less/2654-22ct

Looking forward to see if those bump stops work.
I decided that the front suspension enhancements wont really do me any good. I don't use a snow plow and I really have no need to get the fronts set. However I am going forward with the rear set up since that make more sense . I will report what I find after the install. I wont get the parts till next week and who knows what the weather will bring and when I can install
Old 02-01-14, 03:25 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Most only do the front when they're off-roading so I agree I doubt they're do us any good for onroad driving. I've never bottomed out up front.

I thing the rear bump stops are ok...the main problem is the ride height system itself making us bottom out. If you trick the airbags and raise the rear 1/4" - 1/2" it'll fix the bottoming out problem. I lifted it 1/2" and it was perfect. You might not even have to lift it that much.

All you have to do is remove the rear tires and the brackets are right there. There's only 2 bolts holding each bracket in place. Just remove the bolts, install 1 or 2 washers on each bolt and screw it back in. It's a very simple fix and best of all super cheap.

Originally Posted by RCsGX
For anyone bottoming out try adding washers to the bracket, it'll make a world of difference! I had some free time today and picked up some .20¢ 8mm washers from Ace. The ride now is like a night and day difference. I no longer bottom out over speed bumps. I can take them as fast or as slow as I want and the airbags and Bilsteins soak the bumps right up. I still slightly bottom out on that one dip but it's not a normal dip and pretty much every other car bottoms out too but the difference now is it's not jolting as before, it's tolerable, even my wife was amazed and she said it's perfect.

When my front Icon coilovers get here in the next week or two I'll raise the back even more and then we should be literally riding on air. It's amazing how just lifting the rear 1/2" makes such a huge difference.

Parts needed:
  • Washers: 8mm: 1 washer = 1/16" thick / 2 washers = 1/8" thick
  • Bolts: M8 (8mm) coarse thread / 1.5" in length; you can use 1" but I went w/ the longer since I'm going to lift it more once I get my coilovers on. Even 1.5" in length will screw all the way into the frame without any washers so you're fine using longer bolts.

I added 2 washers to each of the 2 bolts and I got 1/2" of lift.