GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Wrapped wood trim pieces in 3M 1080 brushed black metallic

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-14, 05:02 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gxman1
The Color is silver, trust me I hate doing the exterior, last time I did it was over 20 years ago and hated it very much. The reason I am doing this, if you recall I mentioned I was bored and didn't do anything to my truck in a month.
I do remember.

I think I can get away without doing the clay, paint looks clean and feels like glass, I called Maguires and spoke to them also. I think I will take your advise and do the clay as well. Believe me this is the last time I am doing this to the truck. I hope I get my tinkering fix for a while by going thru all of this. LOL
My GX paint was smooth as glass too or so I thought. After the claying it was so smooth it didn't feel real touching...I'm not sure how else to explain it but it just felt weird but in a wonderful way!!

Claybars are fairly inexpensive. Since you're going through the many hours of detailing it correctly I'd pick one up and do a little test spot on your hood, maybe a 12" x 12" section. I'm telling you, you don't think it needs it but you'd be surprised once you feel the difference after claying.

How much pro charged you to clay, compound and detail?
A little under $300 and it was money well spent.

Good luck w/ your detailing. Take some before and after pics so we can drool over your GX when you're done.
Old 01-27-14, 07:36 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Looks great! Love your GX. That black wood steering wheel looks really cool.
Old 01-28-14, 07:00 AM
FlzRider
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome work!
Old 01-28-14, 07:03 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chrispy
Looks great! Love your GX.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by chrispy
That black wood steering wheel looks really cool.
I ordered this black leather / black wood steering wheel this morning.

I like the perforated leather and it has added leather grips (3 and 9 o'clock positions) and wood grips (2 and 10 o'clock positions). Only bad thing about this wheel compared to the golden birds-eye is scratches are going to show like crazy! Oh well, I guess I can't have it all.

Originally Posted by FlzRider
Awesome work!
Thank you.
Old 01-28-14, 07:49 AM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks great RC, and awesome write up!

I won't do that with my (ahem, I mean wife's) GX, but I might do that with the GS, when the weather warms up a bit. (I'm not a fan of the wood trim either.. where do I find black steering wheel for the GS??) It hit -20 overnight and reading 18 degrees in my garage. Time to bring in the beers before they explode.
Old 01-28-14, 08:23 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lmcqueen
That looks great RC, and awesome write up!

I won't do that with my (ahem, I mean wife's) GX, but I might do that with the GS, when the weather warms up a bit. (I'm not a fan of the wood trim either.. It hit -20 overnight and reading 18 degrees in my garage. Time to bring in the beers before they explode.
Thanks.

-20!!?? I like cooler weather when working in my garage but not 18 degrees. My hands wouldn't work in those temps.

T]I might do that with the GS, when the weather warms up a bit. (I'm not a fan of the wood trim either.. where do I find black steering wheel for the GS??)
Take a look at this one. It says it's not compatible with your 430 but other sellers show it is. I don't know anything about swapping parts between GS models. If it will fit that's a pretty good deal.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-GS300-Leather-Wood-Steering-Wheel-OEM-LKQ-/360836775895?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AGS430&hash=item54038c3fd7&vxp=mtr
Old 01-28-14, 09:26 AM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Take a look at this one. It says it's not compatible with your 430 but other sellers show it is. I don't know anything about swapping parts between GS models. If it will fit that's a pretty good deal.
Lexus GS300 Leather Wood Steering Wheel LKQ | eBay
Thanks for searching that for me... yeah, my GS 430 is 2001, and I don't have that phone button, and I think some of the other buttons on the steering wheel looks bit different. I think I may just have to live with how it is. I actually haven't gotten to drive the GS once in the past month since I got my wife the GX. It snowed more days than not, and when it's not snowing, temperatures have been sub zero, I'm still driving my beater 4Runner everyday... lol.
Old 01-28-14, 11:17 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for searching that for me... yeah, my GS 430 is 2001, and I don't have that phone button, and I think some of the other buttons on the steering wheel looks bit different. I think I may just have to live with how it is. I actually haven't gotten to drive the GS once in the past month since I got my wife the GX. It snowed more days than not, and when it's not snowing, temperatures have been sub zero, I'm still driving my beater 4Runner everyday... lol.
Completely off topic, but did you buy that low mile GS McGrath was selling? Yours look so familiar. Im from IL too.
Old 01-28-14, 11:32 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

You have a nice stable of vehicles!

I was going to lunch today and saw a girl hauling azz in a tricked out black TT Supra like yours w/ a huge set of offset rear wheels and very wide tires. I caught her at a light and was messing around w/ here and revved my engine. As soon as the light turned green she was out.

At times I miss not having a sports car. Before my GX I had a CTS-V. I had to sell it because we were having another child and with my wife having an E39 Bimmer we needed some type of SUV. I loved the V but got tired of every azz in the world trying to race me.
Old 01-28-14, 12:42 PM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Originally Posted by lamar411
Completely off topic, but did you buy that low mile GS McGrath was selling? Yours look so familiar. Im from IL too.
Yes, I did buy my GS from McGrath, little over 2 years ago.(when I did the math, I chose McGrath... lol) My avatar and the GS on the signature are dealer pic from McGrath. You have a great memory.

You have a nice stable of vehicles!

I was going to lunch today and saw a girl hauling azz in a tricked out black TT Supra like yours w/ a huge set of offset rear wheels and very wide tires. I caught her at a light and was messing around w/ here and revved my engine. As soon as the light turned green she was out.

At times I miss not having a sports car. Before my GX I had a CTS-V. I had to sell it because we were having another child and with my wife having an E39 Bimmer we needed some type of SUV. I loved the V but got tired of every azz in the world trying to race me.
Thanks!
My Supra is bone stock, and seems like I can never find time to drive it. I think I put on about 1000 milies in the past 10 years. But when I do take it out, I get every Civic chasing me down to race, gets annoying really fast. The CTS-V is a beast, stock to stock, I think it's tad faster than my stock Supra. My screen name (short for Lighting McQueen) was actually given to me when I drove the Supra to a Mustang meet. (I had 86 Mustang all the way until last August) Mustang people thought it looked like Lightning McQueen, and it stuck.
Old 01-28-14, 05:04 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Thanks!
My Supra is bone stock, and seems like I can never find time to drive it. I think I put on about 1000 milies in the past 10 years. But when I do take it out, I get every Civic chasing me down to race, gets annoying really fast. The CTS-V is a beast, stock to stock, I think it's tad faster than my stock Supra. My screen name (short for Lighting McQueen) was actually given to me when I drove the Supra to a Mustang meet. (I had 86 Mustang all the way until last August) Mustang people thought it looked like Lightning McQueen, and it stuck.
Lol at Civics...I had those try and race me too with the big fart cans.

My first car I bought was a foxbody '92 Mustang GT Vert. I though I was the man. Since then I've owned 4 foxbodies. I'm kicking myself for selling my '93 notchback. It was the last year and it had low miles and was white with a full black interior...most had a black dash but gray seats. One of these days I'll get another notchback. My friends still think it's weird that I drive a SUV.

But yeah good times!!

Little update, I finished the entire interior except for the wheel. Pics aren't that great since it's night and I was in my garage.
Old 01-28-14, 06:06 PM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Lol at Civics...I had those try and race me too with the big fart cans.

My first car I bought was a foxbody '92 Mustang GT Vert. I though I was the man. Since then I've owned 4 foxbodies. I'm kicking myself for selling my '93 notchback. It was the last year and it had low miles and was white with a full black interior...most had a black dash but gray seats. One of these days I'll get another notchback. My friends still think it's weird that I drive a SUV.

But yeah good times!!

Little update, I finished the entire interior except for the wheel. Pics aren't that great since it's night and I was in my garage.
That looks great! It absolutely looks better with grey than it does in my wife's GX with the tan seats.

Yeah, I had my share of multiple Mustangs, but I always came back to the 4eye (79-86) Fox. My first car was 84 1/2 GT hatch.
Not to hijack the thread, but here's a pic of last one I had that I sold 6 months ago... I'm going to really miss it in the summer.

Old 01-29-14, 10:53 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

That looks great! It absolutely looks better with grey than it does in my wife's GX with the tan seats.

Yeah, I had my share of multiple Mustangs, but I always came back to the 4eye (79-86) Fox. My first car was 84 1/2 GT hatch.
Not to hijack the thread, but here's a pic of last one I had that I sold 6 months ago... I'm going to really miss it in the summer.

Nice!!

When I was in middle school my neighbor had that same color but it was a hatchback. He had flowmasters on it and every morning I would hear him start it to warm it up. I knew when I heard that I had about 10 more minutes of sleep left before I had to get up.

When I bought my first Mustang the first thing I did was put flowmasters on it and removed the cats and put an offroad H pipe on. Not good for the environment but it sounded bad azz! I was living in Northern VA (Falls Church) at that time and my girlfriend worked at Tysons Corner mall. After dropping her off I loved to drive through the enclosed parking garages in 1st gear and set off all of the alarms. People would cover their ears because it was so loud. I was young so don't hold it against me....

I have pictures of it somewhere. It was blue with a gray bottom and black top. It looked exactly like this.

The others I had were in this order:
black '91 hatch: Edelbrock RPM heads / intake manifold, Ford E cam, BBK headers & X pipe, Flowmasters, Steeda shifter.
white '93 notch (auto): Hooker offroad H pipe w/ catback / 2 1/2" chrome pipes and Flowmasters.
white '90 notch: BBK offroad X pipe, Flowmasters, Hurst shifter.

My wife would kill me if I get a sports car. Fight the urge, fight the urge. And don't bring up motorcycles. That's a whole nother topic.
Thinking back, I sure did have A LOT of fun in my younger years.
Old 01-29-14, 05:28 PM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Nice!!

The others I had were in this order:
black '91 hatch: Edelbrock RPM heads / intake manifold, Ford E cam, BBK headers & X pipe, Flowmasters, Steeda shifter.
white '93 notch (auto): Hooker offroad H pipe w/ catback / 2 1/2" chrome pipes and Flowmasters.
white '90 notch: BBK offroad X pipe, Flowmasters, Hurst shifter.

My wife would kill me if I get a sports car. Fight the urge, fight the urge. And don't bring up motorcycles. That's a whole nother topic.
Thinking back, I sure did have A LOT of fun in my younger years.
Sweet!
Aero foxes are nice. I really wanted the 87 when it first came out, but I was busy at school. 225hp sounded like a lot back then... lol.

Yeah, Fox Mustangs are like an addictive drug. You can stay away for a while, but you always 'relapse'. They're fun and easy to work on, blast to drive, and cheap. It's a great hobby.
I bought that 86 for 3100$ in 2010, had it for 3 years, worked on it, enjoyed the heck out of it, and I sold it for roughly what I have in it. ($5000). Any new car, you'd lose 50% + value on, and you can't really work on them without losing warranty. That fox was the most fun i had in years, parts hunting, working on it, polishing it, driving it and going on local cruises. If I still had it, I would have absolutely given it the brushed metallic treatment.
Old 01-30-14, 02:25 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Sweet!
Aero foxes are nice. I really wanted the 87 when it first came out, but I was busy at school. 225hp sounded like a lot back then... lol.
Right! I felt like I was driving a race car back then, that's how fast it felt. Now V6s have more HP that than.

Yeah, Fox Mustangs are like an addictive drug. You can stay away for a while, but you always 'relapse'. They're fun and easy to work on, blast to drive, and cheap. It's a great hobby.
I bought that 86 for 3100$ in 2010, had it for 3 years, worked on it, enjoyed the heck out of it, and I sold it for roughly what I have in it. ($5000). Any new car, you'd lose 50% + value on, and you can't really work on them without losing warranty. That fox was the most fun i had in years, parts hunting, working on it, polishing it, driving it and going on local cruises. If I still had it, I would have absolutely given it the brushed metallic treatment.
So true!

Seems since early 2000s everyone and their mother are into some type of racing. Prices of foxbodies has increased like crazy. Back in late '90s you can find a nice clean stock 5.0 for around $5K, good luck now. They're either built and are $10K plus or look like complete crap and still over $5K+.

One of these days....

Quick Reply: Wrapped wood trim pieces in 3M 1080 brushed black metallic