GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Grom USB vs GPS Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-13, 12:12 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Grom USB vs GPS Upgrade

Hello! New GX470 owner here. I’m in S.E. Wisconsin, but this GX spent its’ first 7 years in S. Carolina, so it is ‘almost’ rust-free underneath,. I’ve had the truck exactly 1 week now and could not be happier! Read all the user manuals and everything on the vehicle seems to be working as it’s supposed to. Right off, I ordered the GPS DVD from Sewell and the Grom USB interface. I’ve gotta say, the GPS upgrade was not worth the money. The good old Tom Tom will still be my GPS of choice for any trips. On the other hand, the Grom USB rocks! Plays all .wav and .mp3 files flawlessly. Just sayn’ - if someone is on the fence on which upgrade to do first, my vote goes to Grom. A really solid product.

This is a GREAT site! Learned so much reading the first 10 pages of threads.
So then, why did spend $165 on the GPS upgrade? Duh! (Would have gotten much more bang out of WeatherTech’s.)

2004 GX470 Blue Meridian Pearl/grey interior
103,000 miles
90K service done
newer radiator/fan and a new windshield
7/32nds left on the Michelins
Over 3 pages of service records from mylexus
Old 11-12-13, 12:28 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome,

I recently bought my GX. I have Navigation and also installed "Grom USB2P"
I also bought Bluetooth. This works great, it lets me use the existing controls on the steering and the head unit, also I can use the steering control to accept/end calls.

It always connects my phone to Bluetooth flawlessly. I also attached the USB stick in the glove box with thousands of songs, I can stream music via BT from my samsung phone or use the usb, it was the best $200 +- I could of spent on this truck.
Old 11-12-13, 02:30 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gxman1
Welcome,

I also bought Bluetooth. This works great, it lets me use the existing controls on the steering and the head unit, also I can use the steering control to accept/end calls.

It always connects my phone to Bluetooth flawlessly. I also attached the USB stick in the glove box with thousands of songs, I can stream music via BT from my samsung phone or use the usb, it was the best $200 +- I could of spent on this truck.
Glad to hear the Bluetooth works as advertised.
Guess it's time to order THAT option too. Welcome to 2005! LOL
Old 11-13-13, 11:34 AM
ahnjae
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome,

Question: I have the GROM bluetooth unit as well, however, it does not work the way they advertise. They say the unit is suppose to automatically go into bluetooth mode whenever you receive a call no matter if you are listening to AM/FM radio or even have the radio unit off. So even when you have the radio unit off, it will switch the unit on to CD Changer/bluetooth mode whenever you get a call and can hear the phone ring through the speakers. Does your GROM unit work like that? For some reason, my unit doesnt do that and I have sent it back to GROM for troubleshooting and they are saying nothing is wrong with it? They even sent me a new one and it still doesnt answer the my calls when in a different mode other than Bluetooth? By the way, I have an 2004 GX...
Old 11-13-13, 12:10 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ahnjae
Question: I have the GROM bluetooth unit as well, however, it does not work the way they advertise. They say the unit is suppose to automatically go into bluetooth mode whenever you receive a call no matter if you are listening to AM/FM radio or even have the radio unit off. So even when you have the radio unit off, it will switch the unit on to CD Changer/bluetooth mode whenever you get a call and can hear the phone ring through the speakers. Does your GROM unit work like that? For some reason, my unit doesnt do that and I have sent it back to GROM for troubleshooting and they are saying nothing is wrong with it? They even sent me a new one and it still doesnt answer the my calls when in a different mode other than Bluetooth? By the way, I have an 2004 GX...
I know the 2004 gx470 navigation is gen 2/3 and it does not have blue tooth. the 2005 gx470 navigation is gen 4 and it does have blue tooth factory oem, I thought it seemed odd why the op mentioned how blue tooth works flawless in his truck It should it came with it. I am confused why he would need the grom blue tooth!.
Old 11-14-13, 02:16 AM
gxman1
Pole Position

OP never mentioned anything about bluetooth. I mentioned to him I installed BT with GROM which is addon.

Regarding another post radio being off and connect phone, I will check this for you later.
Old 11-14-13, 05:53 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

OP never mentioned anything about bluetooth. I mentioned to him I installed BT with GROM which is addon.

Regarding another post radio being off and connect phone, I will check this for you later.
Hi GX
Since your truck is a 2005 you have Blue tooth OEM Right. Why would grom B/T help you. I am trying to learn here. Mine is a 2004 gx470 with navigation. In am trying to figure out how I can install the grom and not lose my cd player. I think I read there is a way around this regarding a emulation protocol

Buddy

Last edited by mrblister; 11-14-13 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-14-13, 07:02 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by ahnjae
My GROM USB2 w/BT does not kick over to the phonecall automatically when a call comes in, it needs to be on "disc" mode on the stereo for the GROM to be active. If I'm listening to the radio when a call comes in, I have to hit "disc", then after a second I can hit the arrow up steering wheel button to answer the call.

On another note, I haven't been able to get the USB playback to work, I suspect the USB thumbdrive I was trying to use wasn't compatible with the FAT16/FAT32 file system the GROM uses, no matter how many computers I tried, I wasn't able to format the drive in that file system. Anyone else have any issues with this?
Old 11-14-13, 08:15 AM
470reasons
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IanB2
My GROM USB2 w/BT does not kick over to the phonecall automatically when a call comes in, it needs to be on "disc" mode on the stereo for the GROM to be active. If I'm listening to the radio when a call comes in, I have to hit "disc", then after a second I can hit the arrow up steering wheel button to answer the call.

On another note, I haven't been able to get the USB playback to work, I suspect the USB thumbdrive I was trying to use wasn't compatible with the FAT16/FAT32 file system the GROM uses, no matter how many computers I tried, I wasn't able to format the drive in that file system. Anyone else have any issues with this?
Are you correctly naming you music file folders on the flash drive?
As in: 1-rock or 1-blues or 3-country? (up to 6 folders)
Just drag and drop the songs into the flash drive folders and they should play from the flash drive.
This works for me anyway.

For those interested in how the Grom works with flash drives or external hard drives:

The Grom interface box emulates the CD changer. You can have up to 6 music folders on the flash drive or external hard drive. Each of the 6 folders emulates a CD and uses the built in CD changer software to call up the music files. For example, pressing CD4 of the GX on screen menu, calls up file folder 4 on the USB or HD and starts playing the songs in that folder. Not sure how may songs can be in a folder. I’ve only got about 50 songs per folder at this time and it works fine.

Folder format: number from 1 to 6 - one word file name. example: 4-rock (not sure how many letters can be in the file name)

Last edited by 470reasons; 11-14-13 at 08:49 AM. Reason: additional info to add
Old 11-14-13, 09:31 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by 470reasons
Are you correctly naming you music file folders on the flash drive?
As in: 1-rock or 1-blues or 3-country? (up to 6 folders)
Just drag and drop the songs into the flash drive folders and they should play from the flash drive.
This works for me anyway.

For those interested in how the Grom works with flash drives or external hard drives:

The Grom interface box emulates the CD changer. You can have up to 6 music folders on the flash drive or external hard drive. Each of the 6 folders emulates a CD and uses the built in CD changer software to call up the music files. For example, pressing CD4 of the GX on screen menu, calls up file folder 4 on the USB or HD and starts playing the songs in that folder. Not sure how may songs can be in a folder. I’ve only got about 50 songs per folder at this time and it works fine.

Folder format: number from 1 to 6 - one word file name. example: 4-rock (not sure how many letters can be in the file name)
I'll have to double check the folder naming, I wasn't able to get it to even recognize the thumbdrive was attached, and assumed it was the formatting issue that was the problem. Just need to spend some more time messing with it I bet.
Old 11-14-13, 10:49 AM
ahnjae
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2

Thanks for your reply. According to GROM, it is suppose to kick over to GROM bluetooth mode as soon as you get a call no matter what mode (fm, am, ipod, etc.) you are listening to. I have been working with grom about this issue and they have stated that my unit kicks over every time when I sent it back to them for troubleshooting. However, I have noticed that the unit will kick over when i receive a call a few times but then it will not work again. I also noticed that sometimes when I want to listen to my voicemail through bluetooth, my ipod (using grom ipod adaptor) and my voicemail will play at the same time. From my experience, the grom unit is really buggy and they cannot figure out why it is not behaving like it is suppose to. They even installed their latest firmware update (version 21) on my unit and its still buggy as hell....
Old 11-14-13, 10:18 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Buddy,

Mine is 2004 without BT and I have NAV and CD. I added grom with BT from GROM, I was happy to lose the CD. I have a 36 GB in place, It has a 6 folder as similar to CD hanger,each folder hold 999 songs. Who need a cd player. Stay away from emulation.

Originally Posted by mrblister
Hi GX
Since your truck is a 2005 you have Blue tooth OEM Right. Why would grom B/T help you. I am trying to learn here. Mine is a 2004 gx470 with navigation. In am trying to figure out how I can install the grom and not lose my cd player. I think I read there is a way around this regarding a emulation protocol

Buddy