GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Time for new OEM suspension parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-12, 10:12 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Guys if you think of replacing the suspension components..then with the bottom air bag pin captive there shouldn't be an issue with stretching the air bag, providing the shock absorbers are not so long that they allow the airbag to over extend. The shock absorber is generally the limiting factor of rear suspension extension. Standard shocks and most aftermarket shocks like Bilstein etc designed for a maximum of 40-50mm lift should be OK.

Here is the airbag deflated exposed for removal if in case you want to retain after a lift.

But you can mod by adding a 50mm spacer ABOVE the airbag to increase the effective length?
Attached Thumbnails Time for new OEM suspension parts-airbag-removal.jpg   Time for new OEM suspension parts-airbag-removal-1a.jpg   Time for new OEM suspension parts-airbag-removal-2a.jpg  
Old 04-11-12, 04:37 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ROK - just like your previous pics, I can't stop looking at this one. Great job! Please post some more pictures in a new thread if you get a chance.
What are you planning to do with your old wheels?

Regarding the original topic, I'd recommend sticking with OEM all the way because it is a huge risk to take with anything that requires fabrication or compromise. Please be sure to tell us every part you ended up buying, and from where and how much. Those of us who plan on keeping our truck for a while will sure go through this exercise at some point and will certainly benefit from your experience.
Old 04-11-12, 08:04 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Matsui,

I posted more pics here: http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-t...rts-gx470.html which also poses the same question as this thread. Thanks!
Old 04-11-12, 09:12 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
I
Let me know if you want more info, but the wheels should be super easy to source online and at your local tire chain store.

I know I wont find 18" BBS' so Im going to order the XD wheels. Its between the strike (like yours) or the addict. I like the strikes because theyre fairly new and they have straight spokes compared to the flared on the addicts.

About tires, I was going to go with Cooper STTs again, which are $1003 at DT but I found a place that has 265/70/17 Toyo MTs for $1034 shipped, you cant beat that. Plus I like the sidewall of the Toyo a little better and the Toyos should get better mileage since the tread compound is harder than the Coopers.

And just an FYI. The OEM wheels have a backspace of 5.23", so if you used a 1.25" wheel spacer such as Spidertrax, itll be pushed out like ROKs.
Old 04-11-12, 09:17 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Well done, RC. Looking forward to checking out the setup on a non-black GX! Toyos are the only MTs I'd run. Everything else was just too loud for me. I think this is why they're so popular. On nearly ever lifted pick-up I see be it F150s, Tundras, Tacomas... Toyos.

Here are the Addicts on a nicely modded 5th gen 4R

Compared to my Strikers

Last edited by ROK; 04-11-12 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-11-12, 09:54 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Man seeing your pictures I cant wait to get rid of the stock wheels and street tires.

Thanks for those pictures. The addicts look like they have larger silver lugs around the wheel, I like the strikes much better. Plus dust / road debris etc. will be a pain to get out from under the lugs on the on the addicts since theyre practically touching the lip.
Attached Thumbnails Time for new OEM suspension parts-addict.jpg   Time for new OEM suspension parts-strike.jpg  
Old 04-11-12, 12:12 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Here are some things to keep in mind:

-The rivets on the Addicts are plastic and they're bigger in person than in photos. I couldn't honestly care less because I find that they're a heckuva value at $300 or so each. We ALL benefit from Made in China goods. It's the ignorant who p!ss on the inevitability of global commerce because uber rich nations like us benefit from it HUGELY.

-I know you're getting a sweet deal on the Toyo MTs online, but consider the added value of buying them from a local chain store since they typically include the balance and mount for free or a nominal charge. Plus, as demanding enthusiasts we all know there's always something we run into with cars so my chain will warranty my wheel/tires + punctures + rotate/balance them whenever I want

From an aesthetic viewpoint, I think the Addicts look better when you go bigger diameter as they're a "prettier" wheel compared to the more rugged Strikers. Either way, you can't go wrong. They sell a ton of these so any casting/design issues have likely been sorted out. The beastly MT tread will take front stage anyways.

Credit for pics goes to username RiDE on T4R: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...e-crusher.html

Big thanks to him for sharing his build.
Old 04-11-12, 05:37 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Well good news and bad news.

Good news is DT is selling each strike for $150, they beat everyones price. I need to stop by tomorrow and put down a $50 deposit since its a custom order part.

Bad news, DT cant get the Toyo MTs. He said his supplier said Toyo doesnt make a 265/70/17 MT. I told them they do and the specs are on Toyos website....so no tires from them. More bad news...the place Im going to order them from just shipped out 6 265/70/17 last night and he only has 2 left in stock and he wont get more until next Thursday. Oh well, at least the ***** rolling on the wheels & tires.

Now back to the suspension... Im going to take the GX by Lexus sometime next week because I honestly dont think my shocks are bad. I did the bounce test...it passed. And last night I looked really good at all 4 shocks and there was no oil on the housings or the shafts, so theyre not leaking oil. Id hate to spend $2K on new shocks and have the same problem. I'll keep yall posted.

EDIT: Just ran the OBDII scanner, no codes.

Last edited by RCsGX; 04-11-12 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-11-12, 07:42 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably the height control sensors, not the shocks.
Old 04-11-12, 07:58 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by redrocks
Probably the height control sensors, not the shocks.

Even though I dont have any problems raising / lowering the GX, thats what Im thinking too. I checked for codes and there are none but Ive read codes dont always pop up when the sensors go bad. We'll see.....
Old 04-12-12, 04:24 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Even though I dont have any problems raising / lowering the GX, thats what Im thinking too. I checked for codes and there are none but Ive read codes dont always pop up when the sensors go bad. We'll see.....
For the past year, I never had any issues raising/lowering my GX, but noticed that ,at times, the ride was harsh. A couple of weeks ago, the height control sensors were replaced. I noticed the difference in the ride within a day of driving around. By the end of the first week, I was convinced that the harsh ride problems that I had been experiencing for the past year was attributed to the height control sensors. My vehicle has a little over 60K miles on it. If your service history indicates that your GX has never had the height control sensors replaced, then it's probably long overdue.
Old 04-12-12, 11:58 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

I dont know what to do. I read this thread again: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ml#post6871638 . N305AS' replaced the sensors, all 4 shocks and both rear airbags and said he's still bottoming out. I dont want to throw $500+ for ride height sensors and $2K for new front / rear shocks if Im still going to bottom out in the rear.

Im serious thinking about buying some front / rear aftermarket shocks and rear springs and be dont with it.

Originally Posted by N305AS
Here's the odd part - when I had my bottoming-out issue, Lexus replaced my ride height sensors as well as my shocks. Then when it still wasn't quite good, they re-adjusted it on the ground vs. up on the rack. Then, most recently, the bags themselves were replaced completely.

At this point, the "bottoming-out" still occurs and I've got sensors and shocks that are only 18 months old, and bags that are only 6 months old - essentially, it's an entirely-new system.

In another thread, I did see where someone had mentioned adjusting the ride height so the neutral setting were actually set a bit higher and that supposedly did the trick.

As for me, I continue to cycle my height to the top setting only, then let it settle to neutral automatically as I drive off and exceed 20mph. I've found it's the only way to minimize the bottoming-out sensation over speed bumps and other dips, although the occasional deep dip in freeway section couplings occasionally sees the bottoming-out occur at 70mph or above.
Old 04-12-12, 06:10 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RCsGX
I dont know what to do. I read this thread again: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ml#post6871638 . N305AS' replaced the sensors, all 4 shocks and both rear airbags and said he's still bottoming out. I dont want to throw $500+ for ride height sensors and $2K for new front / rear shocks if Im still going to bottom out in the rear.

Im serious thinking about buying some front / rear aftermarket shocks and rear springs and be dont with it.
Perhaps the simplest thing to do, is to have a Lexus dealership diagnose what's exactly wrong with your GX?
Old 04-12-12, 09:31 PM
N305AS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocks
Perhaps the simplest thing to do, is to have a Lexus dealership diagnose what's exactly wrong with your GX?
Easier said than done. Scottsdale Lexus actually kicked this bottoming-out issue all the way up to Lexus corporate who finally came back with the response, "Hmm. Well, sorry, we don't know what to tell you." No one can seem to find a permanent solution to the bottoming-out sensation.

As I said before, I manage it as best I can; I raise my height up to the top setting before starting out and it seems to lessen the problem, although it's still noticeable with less than 1/3 of a tankful (rear weight seems to factor in) and some dips in freeways or tall speed bumps will still result in the sensation.

Aggravating? Yes, but it's a small price to pay for an otherwise flawless vehicle.
Old 04-15-12, 09:38 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by N305AS
Easier said than done. Scottsdale Lexus actually kicked this bottoming-out issue all the way up to Lexus corporate who finally came back with the response, "Hmm. Well, sorry, we don't know what to tell you." No one can seem to find a permanent solution to the bottoming-out sensation.

As I said before, I manage it as best I can; I raise my height up to the top setting before starting out and it seems to lessen the problem, although it's still noticeable with less than 1/3 of a tankful (rear weight seems to factor in) and some dips in freeways or tall speed bumps will still result in the sensation.

Aggravating? Yes, but it's a small price to pay for an otherwise flawless vehicle.
Did you personally adjust/raise the rear ride height, using the simple height adjusters? You've spent a bunch of money, but if the rear end is too low, too close to the bump stops, then fresh shocks aren't going to help you. I'd get under there and see how much room you have between your axle & the bump stops. My guess is you're just too close. It's easy to adjust. Just raise each side up a bit and check the results. Don't go overboard or the over-inflated rear airbags will be too stiff.

Quick Reply: Time for new OEM suspension parts