GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Time for new OEM suspension parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-12, 12:22 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Time for new OEM suspension parts

Im relocating to Florida the end of May and Im going to be towing my wifes E39 BMW. My shocks are up there in mileage and I cant tell the difference between sport and comfort so theyre pretty much toast.

I though about getting rid of the dampening shocks and rear air bags so I called up Arnott and asked if a rear spring bracket was included with their spring kit. He said no. I asked if my axle were to droop offoroading would the spring pop off, he said no. I said but theres nothing holding the spring down? He said we dont sell anything that isnt safe. That wasnt the answer I was looking for since I havent found one thread of anyone with a GX using their "kit" so on to the next.

I called up Toytec. The guy said theyve never dealt with a GX using 4runner / FJ parts. He said they probably will work up front but cant guarantee it. I asked if the 4runner springs they sale will work in the rear, he said no because theres no bracket keeping them on the axle. Just as I tried to tell the guy at Arnott. Ive read a few threads on other boards of guys getting rid of their stock suspension but it needed fab work on the rear and I dont have time to do all that NOR do I care since Im not wanting to lift or do any serious offroading with my GX. So it looks like Im going back to OEM parts. The shop is replacing both rear shocks for $88 and both front shocks for $179. Not too bad compared to Lexus wanting $1200 in labor....not in this lifetime!

Im going to replace the front / rear shocks, bolts, washers, nuts, shock / swaybar bushings, maybe the front springs too....but should I also replace the rear airbags? I havent been around GXs long enough to know the mileage / life expectancy of them. Has anyone here ever had to replace their airbags...if so how many miles did you have on them?

EDIT: I know my shocks should be worn since I dont feel a difference between comfort and sport and Im getting close to 100K miles but I did the bounce test and after 4 quick bounces and then release it comes right back up and maybe 1/2 dip. So its not bouncy at all but I get a jarring jolt in the rear when going over dips, like its bottoming out?

Last edited by RCsGX; 04-10-12 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-10-12, 12:31 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I posed the same question, but didn't get any firm answers. The GX just doesn't have the aftermarket support since there's little demand for it. This is where I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my 4th 4R, but that's yesterday's news.

I'm at nearly 90K miles (2007) and I can still most definitely feel a diff between comfort and sport settings. I also don't experience the bottom out others have pointed out. Yet I still want to refresh the shocks just so I can set my baseline.

One of the guys who did go all out and got rid of the air springs recommended to simply swap out the shocks, front coils (they sag over time) and don't worry about the air springs/bags unless they're leaking. Replace the rubbery bits as necessary.

$500 x2 for rear shocks + $200 and change for the fronts x2 and I'd budget about $2K for the job out the garage.

I'm going to wait until after my 90K service to dial it all in. I love this truck, regardless. The LC guys are regularly seeing 200K+ based on my read. That's awesome to hear since the GX is a Land Cruiser. I have not run into any news about people refreshing their air units (good news) as part of maintenance.
Old 04-10-12, 01:02 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

I actually came across your thread on the other site. It does suck that there isnt more aftermarket support for our GX. The price for the shocks plus misc. bolts installed (no springs or airbags) was $1863 not including Texas tax from Sewell, so yeah about $2,000 is about right.

I was thinking about going w/ the Arnott Bilstein front / rear shocks and saving 50%. Front / rear OEM would be $1604 compared to $800 but I havent read about anyone with a GX using their Bilstein shocks so im a little nervous about the ride. I asked about the valving and he couldnt give me an answer, he said it rides as good if not better than stock....which is what a salesman will tell you. I put 5100s on my Tundra and the ride did get a little harsh which I didnt mind since I also had big M/T tires. Since I cant tell the difference between comfort / sport, is there really that much of a difference when you change the settings?

By the way, seeing your pics on that site, your GX looks pretty bad azz with those wheels & tires. You were able to run M/T tires without any lift? Do you have any rubbing at full lock? When I put Cooper STTs on my Tundra I lost about 1-2mpg. How bad was your loss?
Old 04-10-12, 01:33 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

I know my shocks should be worn since I dont feel a difference between comfort and sport and Im getting close to 100K miles but I did the bounce test and after 4 quick bounces and then release it comes right back up and maybe 1/2 dip. So its not bouncy at all but I get a jarring jolt in the rear when going over dips, like its bottoming out?

Could it be my shocks are fine buy my ride height sensor(s) is / are bad? I dont have any problem lowering / raising the rear and my GX is level. Whether I raise or lower it, it'll always go back to "N" once I begin driving. So does that mean my sensors are good?
Old 04-10-12, 01:38 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

I'm going to stick with OEM shocks and parts. I can most definitely tell immediately when I switch from comfort to sport. Instantaneous.

Regardless of $ savings, there's simply too much pioneering going on for me to take the risk of matching aftermarket bits with the GX suspension electronics and the air spring in the rear. Running on Sport mode, I'm quite happy with the ride on the MTs. I recently took my first swing at calculating MPG and I'd say I lost about 1-2mpg consistent with your experience, but can't speak definitively since the MTs r bigger in diameter than the 285 Toyo ATs I was running not so long ago. I get about 240-50 miles on a full tank, but again, side with caution using my numbers since my speedo is a bit off.

Given your avatar, I'm sure you know that the Toyo MTs are the quietest out there while still having the best looking tread! I'm at stock height (again, don't wanna mess with the suspension) and most definitely had to do some trimming up front. No regrets. I'm happy with the ride and definitely the beefier looks.

Last edited by ROK; 04-10-12 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-10-12, 01:38 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RCsGX
I know my shocks should be worn since I dont feel a difference between comfort and sport and Im getting close to 100K miles but I did the bounce test and after 4 quick bounces and then release it comes right back up and maybe 1/2 dip. So its not bouncy at all but I get a jarring jolt in the rear when going over dips, like its bottoming out?

Could it be my shocks are fine buy my ride height sensor(s) is / are bad? I dont have any problem lowering / raising the rear and my GX is level. Whether I raise or lower it, it'll always go back to "N" once I begin driving. So does that mean my sensors are good?
Not sure what's going on for you to not be able to distinguish between C and S, but it sounds like your height sensors are in good operation.
Old 04-10-12, 02:11 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

My avatar is a pic of my old Cooper STTs. The tread looks very similar to Toyos though.

Im like you...I dont want to mess around with aftermarket shocks, especially since nobody is running them and only a few on other sites have really changed up their stock suspension and really dont care if its comfortable or not.

Hey more questions about your tires and wheels. Youre running 33x12.50 Toyo M/Ts and dont have any rubbing? I looked at your past threads and know your running a 18x8 wheel but you said you dont know the offset...where did you buy your wheels from? What brand / model are they. I'll try and look them up so see if I can find out your offset or backspacing. You must have a low backspace (5" or less) because they stick out a bit to be 8" wheels. But I love the wide stance, it looks much better than our OEM wheels / tires sunken inside of the fenders. It really changed the look for the better! Sorry for all the questions. Theres only a few owners Ive seen that have gone with different wheels and only a few have stuck w/ 18s as opposed to 20-24".

Last edited by RCsGX; 04-10-12 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-10-12, 02:33 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

I actually dumped the 18x8s and went with the 17x9s from the ubiquitous KMCwheels.com or their XD series which are made to look a bit more rugged which match better with the MT treads. While the 18x I had were perfect fitment w/ ATs, the smallest MTs in 18s would've simply required way too much work to make fit. The Coopers you picked look great, too! I absolutely love their pricing since each wheel is no more than $300 a pop which is a huge shift from the sports car market.

I'm running the narrowestToyo MTs in 265/70/17s now or 32s. The 17x9 XD Strikers have a much more aggressive offset so coupled with the meatier MT sidewalls, it does stick out 1-1.5" past the fenders. I was really debating whether I'd like this look, but since the tread itself isn't actually sitting past the fenders, I think I've warmed up to it where I just won't mess with it any more. Rolling down the street, it looks beastly. It's the most unique look I've run since literally a handful of people on enthusiast forums run MTs on the GX. In real life... crickets.

So I'm all for running 22s on say a Range Rover (huge aftermarket ecosystem), but on a Toyota truck that's got Land Cruiser heritage? No way. Bigger the sidewall the better and the chunkier tread nastier.

Let me know if you want more info, but the wheels should be super easy to source online and at your local tire chain store.

Last edited by ROK; 04-10-12 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-10-12, 03:56 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

regarding the spring/airbag - back on topic:

Brad Walker brad@strutmasters.com to me
show details Apr 2 (9 days ago)

we have a mount kit that you install where the top of air bag was . all it does is bolt in. no mods no welding just take out old and put in new . i am the tech here so if you have any more ?'s call me at 336-330-2343 brad
Old 04-10-12, 03:57 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Thats the best looking GX ive seen on here. That makes sense now seeing as the 17s are 9" wide. I like that setup alot!

As far as the Coopers, I liked them alot. They didnt make any noise around town and had a slight wine on the highway but they werent annoying at all. It was between the Coopers STTs, MT baha MTZ or the Toyo M/Ts. Toyos got the best reviews, with the Coopers in 2nd. I got a great deal on the Coopers so it was a no brainer, plus nobody local stocked the Toyos. Im diggin the Toyos on your GX though, that setup looks great on your GX!!!

Thanks for the help ROK!
Old 04-10-12, 04:03 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

regarding the spring/airbag - back on topic:

Brad Walker brad@strutmasters.com to me
show details Apr 2 (9 days ago)

we have a mount kit that you install where the top of air bag was . all it does is bolt in. no mods no welding just take out old and put in new . i am the tech here so if you have any more ?'s call me at 336-330-2343 brad
Old 04-10-12, 04:03 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

I'm no expert, but I'm here to help and trade notes. Good luck!
Old 04-10-12, 04:07 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

well i emailed i think now 3 different kit manufacturer and they all said they don't need a bracket, but after lookin at the kits i wonder if they're different in design at all?
anyway... the other thread has the other responses from the other makers... gl
Old 04-10-12, 04:37 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Ive seen plenty of lifted GX threads and they all use some type of bottom hold down for the rear spring. If a kit doesnt have that, I dont care what the seller of that kit says, its not safe!

See here too: http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17207
Old 04-10-12, 05:02 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

yeah that's a nice link, i was thinkin similarly in terms of the bracket like the op in that link, just need a drill really, the bracket pieces you can have any home improvement shopt cut for ya, just bring the spring in and have them cut/bend it for ya... you just drill a hole...

Quick Reply: Time for new OEM suspension parts