GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

iPad Install in my GX

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-12, 07:36 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job. I just can help thinking a 7" tablet would fit better ?

I, for one, would love to hear more about the audio solution. Where did you mount the speakers, how did you run all the wires? Where exactly did the cleansweep get integrated? Your lucky to have the non-nav unit to do something like this.

Last edited by z0lt3c; 02-19-12 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-18-12, 08:41 PM
jaywkang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, the Dual GPS receiver came in and it does in fact pair with my ipad while tethering is running simultaneously. Seems to be pretty accurate and Motion X GPS drive app pairs and works great with it. I installed the Cydia App backgrounder so that Pandora can run while returning to the home screen on the ipad as well as running other apps such as Safari, Netflix, Slingplayer, GPS, etc. I have not had time to finish hardwiring the Dual yet. A baby gets in the way of such activities, and by the way, do not hardwire anything to the 12v supply and ground to the sunroof. Seems the extra load on the circuit tells the sunroof motor that something is in the way of the roof panel therefore not allowing it to move. lesson learned.

To answer questions in response to my original post: The cutting board is the same thickness as a casssette tape to within a couple of mm. It is in fact very snug and I made sure to make it a little wider than an actual cassette so that it is friction mounted in the slot. To take up any slop, I put a piece of the fuzzy side of some velcro on the bottom side to give it a little bit more grip. I have to really pull on the mount to remove it jiggling it a bit too.

I mounted the JL summing unit under the driver's seat behind the factory amp. The unit is actually very small maybe 5X4". I did have to fabricate a mount for it to elevate it about a half an inch so that there is still airflow out of the HVAC vent under the seat, behind the amp. I mounted the JL amp and clean sweep under the passenger seat in the same configuration as the amp summing device under the driver's seat. Again, having to elevate the cleansweep to allow airflow for the HVAC.

I mounted the Morel 6.5 mid drivers in the factory 6x9 locations using Tundra 6 x9 adapters from I think Scosche. Since these were merely ABS plastic I dynamatted the s--t out of them as well as the door skins. I mounted the tweets in the factory location with a little grinding of the tweeter housing. I disconnected the 4" driver but left them in place.

The sub is in the right rear of the cargo area. I haven't figured out how to mount it to the right side wall above the armrest/cup holder yet. I'm thinking of something like dzus fasteners so that it is possible to remove it when I need just that extra bit more of storage space but maybe a bit more elegant of a solution. Like I said, I haven't figured it out yet.

Unfortunately, I broke one of my cardinal rules of not pricing a replacement interior piece before modifying when I drilled and ground the center console panel to mount the volume and bass *****. Looks like I'm selling the car with the cleansweep installed.

Oh, and Sid, yeah, it takes a while to install a sound system in a vehicle when you are trying to maintain the integrity of the cleanliness of the design of the interior. There is fabrication and modification involved in such an installation. This was by no means a "plug and play" situation.

Look out for my V1 install coming when I have the chance. My ideas are of a very stealth installation with a remote display integrated into the dash and an iphone/ipad cctv to monitor the baby in the back seat. I wonder how many bluetooth connections an ipad can run simultaneously. Guess we'll find out. Fun times.
Old 02-19-12, 04:52 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice set up. I used similar technology to mount a GPS unit in my old no Nav RX300. Awesome.
Old 02-19-12, 07:01 PM
LifeEnjoyr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks awesome man! Very well done.
Old 02-15-22, 11:03 AM
Shalmanese
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Globalinx
Nice set up. I used similar technology to mount a GPS unit in my old no Nav RX300. Awesome.
Viper? Isn't that the one with the spectacularly powerful engine and spectacularly poorly designed braking systems? It might have been just a sour grapes opinion article...