GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

calipers replaced at dealer two days ago look rusty...why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-11, 03:09 PM
wscott
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default calipers replaced at dealer two days ago look rusty...why?

Hi,

I have a 2003 GX 470

Just got the car back from the dealer 2 days ago after having the front rotors and calipers replaced, but I have not had a chance to see the car in the light until today. I noticed today that the "new" calipers appear to be rusty. The calipers in the rear which were not replaced do not have any rust.

The dealer service rep reassured me and said the calipers were new and he witnessed them coming out of the box and going on.

What the heck is going on here? Why would brand new calipers look rusty after 2 days of driving?
I'm wondering if they are rebuilt calipers or new? Or is there some other explanation?

Not what I expect from Lexus especially considering the cost of the repair from the dealership. Should I return to the dealer and make a big stink about it?

Please help with your advice.

Thanks
Old 11-18-11, 03:40 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by wscott
Hi,

I have a 2003 GX 470

Just got the car back from the dealer 2 days ago after having the front rotors and calipers replaced, but I have not had a chance to see the car in the light until today. I noticed today that the "new" calipers appear to be rusty. The calipers in the rear which were not replaced do not have any rust.

The dealer service rep reassured me and said the calipers were new and he witnessed them coming out of the box and going on.

What the heck is going on here? Why would brand new calipers look rusty after 2 days of driving?
I'm wondering if they are rebuilt calipers or new? Or is there some other explanation?

Not what I expect from Lexus especially considering the cost of the repair from the dealership. Should I return to the dealer and make a big stink about it?

Please help with your advice.

Thanks
I'm going to give you the short version of a long story. I had both front calipers replaced using my "aftermarket" warranty. I had to remove my truck from the lexus dealership because the warranty wouldn't pay for OEM calipers at $400 each, So I used a repair shop that used aftermarket calipers($200 each). 1 month after installation they were rusty. I brought it back and they said the calipers were new when installed and only agreed to paint them silver for appearance only. needless to say they are rusty again 6 months later. My point is my original calipers that needed replacement were 6 years old and silver without rust and the aftermarket ones were new with rust, which leads me to believe you got aftermarket calipers. Now I have nice chrome wheels, slotted/drilled rotors and frickin rusty calipers, needless to say I'm not happy. I would go back to the dealership and have them adress it. Oh and stay away from "aftermarket" warranty companies.