GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 12:54 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Now 15k miles after fix and no clunk! As for those getting the run around, get on the phone to Lexus corporate and complain. They finally came up with a real solution.
Old 09-26-06, 04:11 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hsk73
Well... my car was at Lexus of Cerritos, CA yesterday for the "clunk fix". I was treated well and everything with loaner car and all....

But, I was told that...

The clunk noise on my car was not loud or significant enough?? to call it a defective. And, they consider the noise as normal at this point!!

And, even for those owners with louder noise... the replacement parts are back-ordered for a year!!!

I told the tech I want to be on that waiting list.
He said he need to talk to his manager... He'll get back to me...

I can't believe there hasn't bee a re-call for this problem, yet.... when people are lined up to get this thing fixed....
There will never be a recall for this problem as its not safety related.
Old 09-27-06, 01:05 PM
xpeng
Driver School Candidate

Try Longo Lexus. I got mine fixed the same day.
Originally Posted by hsk73
Well... my car was at Lexus of Cerritos, CA yesterday for the "clunk fix". I was treated well and everything with loaner car and all....

But, I was told that...

The clunk noise on my car was not loud or significant enough?? to call it a defective. And, they consider the noise as normal at this point!!

And, even for those owners with louder noise... the replacement parts are back-ordered for a year!!!

I told the tech I want to be on that waiting list.
He said he need to talk to his manager... He'll get back to me...

I can't believe there hasn't bee a re-call for this problem, yet.... when people are lined up to get this thing fixed....
Old 10-22-06, 12:34 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

Default parts on backorder for months....

well checked with dealer on clunk TSB.....not cancelled but parts on backorder for months,,,!!
Old 10-24-06, 05:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Toyota had stop making the 4runner with air suspension to catch up on parts production, I guess there is a real shortage on the new drive driveshaft and lower control arms.
Old 10-24-06, 08:05 AM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by GGGXXX
well checked with dealer on clunk TSB.....not cancelled but parts on backorder for months,,,!!
I called my SA yesterday and inquired as to status (as you may recall, my driveshaft is in, but we are still awaiting the control arms)... I mentioned to my SA the backlog for the control arms, and he indicated that indeed they are still waiting (and they won't send back my driveshaft) and he did not give any indication that the TSB had been cancelled, replaced etc. I guess it truly is just a matter of waiting...
Old 10-24-06, 08:20 AM
dglenday
Driver School Candidate

Mine was fixed last week. It took 4 months to get the parts. I've had them on order since the end of June
Old 10-25-06, 08:08 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dglenday
Mine was fixed last week. It took 4 months to get the parts. I've had them on order since the end of June
Thanks - That gives me some hope for my parts that were ordered the middle of July!
Old 10-25-06, 09:32 PM
jamisonmil
Driver School Candidate

Just got my '04 GX470. The clunk is there, so I called Lexus of Colorado Springs and Kuni Lexus in Denver to find out about the fix. Both offered to order the parts, both said back-order times are around 4 weeks. We'll see what happens.
Old 10-31-06, 07:19 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Default Parts are in!

The dealer called yesterday to tell us the parts are in!

I'm planning a 600 mile trip in about a week with my daughter - we are going to be looking around at colleges in the Boston area. Call me super cautious, but I decided to wait until afterwards to get the fix done.
Old 11-01-06, 04:54 AM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

I was just wondering what year your vehicle was and when you originally noticed the clunk (what mileage?) and how long you have been waiting for the parts?
Old 11-01-06, 05:39 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dr.EinTN
I was just wondering what year your vehicle was and when you originally noticed the clunk (what mileage?) and how long you have been waiting for the parts?
Mine is a 2006 bought new off the boat in January (I believe manufactured December 2005)

If I remember, I first noticed a clunk at about 1200 miles. The parts were ordered in mid-July and just came in.

It really varies by when the parts were ordered and where in the country- another member brought theirs in during June and theirs was fixed within a few weeks (at the same dealership). Around July the backorder problem occured - maybe things will improve now that new 07GX's are at the dealers.
Old 11-02-06, 08:04 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-15-06, 05:03 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Default Fix Update

I finally had the Clunk fix done today!

I've only driven about 10 miles, and have not noticed any clunk at this point. However, I don't remember experiencing the clunk in the past week or so, so this isn't much of a test. Prior to fixing, I had gone on a four day, 600 mile trip up to the Boston area that involved high speed highway, city, stop and go and all kinds of driving in between. I had been worried that the clunk, which could be very pronounced, was going to make me think I been rearended half the time. Either it was behaving or my concentration on where I was going, topped off by a seven plus hour return trip in pouring rain with no visibility and crazy traffic took my mind off it. Whichever, it will take more time to see if this works as well as for everyone else.

The ride does seem a bit stiffer (and more bouncy over small ruts and road imperfections) than before. I currently keep the GX on the comfort 2 setting, and can try switching to max comfort if it bothers me.

Once the parts came in, the dealer did make the fix relatively painless. I was given a loaner car at 9:00 a.m. (simple transaction - sign and get the keys) and got a call that they were finished around 2:00 p.m. Their car wash was being revamped, but they did manage to wash my GX and she looked beautiful. Total charge to me was $0, and I even got a Lexus cap with a coupon that came in the mail from the parts department.

I'll see how it goes as I put on more miles. I currently have just under 7000 miles and have had my baby for 10 months.
Old 11-15-06, 08:45 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Did the dealer tell you that the TSB fix would affect the ride quality and if the fix would be permanent or might have to be done again some day down the road after several thousand miles?

Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB