GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

prado taillamp problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-05, 10:23 AM
strat1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default prado taillamp problem

Has anyone who installed the prado taillamps on the gx run into the following problem? The PASSENGER side brake/tail light (socket 1) doesn't come on at all. The turn signal (socket 2) works exactly as it should. When I press on the brakes: socket 3 lights up (otherwise does not come on) and socket 1 (which is supposed to be the brake light) again doesn't light up at all.
The DRIVERS side taillamp works as it should (socket 1 tail/brake light, socket 2 turn signal, socket 3 does not come on).
What is perplexing is that I've tried two different prado taillamps (one is the mostly red and the other is the clear) with the exact results
Old 04-16-05, 06:14 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by strat1
Has anyone who installed the prado taillamps on the gx run into the following problem? The PASSENGER side brake/tail light (socket 1) doesn't come on at all. The turn signal (socket 2) works exactly as it should. When I press on the brakes: socket 3 lights up (otherwise does not come on) and socket 1 (which is supposed to be the brake light) again doesn't light up at all.
The DRIVERS side taillamp works as it should (socket 1 tail/brake light, socket 2 turn signal, socket 3 does not come on).
What is perplexing is that I've tried two different prado taillamps (one is the mostly red and the other is the clear) with the exact results
Where did you get your lights from?
Old 04-16-05, 08:04 PM
strat1
Driver School Candidate

got taillights from japanparts
Old 04-17-05, 06:07 AM
strat1
Driver School Candidate

Default passenger side

The oem male harness to the taillight assembly or the prado taillamps on the passenger side must be wired differently. Therefore, some modification is necessary to make them work. I thought that they would be plug n play for the brake/tail and turn signal and that modification could be done if one wanted to utilize the 3rd socket. However, unfortunately it appears that modification is needed to get any function out of the passenger's side taillight.
Cap could confirm or dispute this....
Old 04-23-05, 10:05 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Prado Tail Lamps

Cap could confirm or dispute this....
Strat.....

The OEM harness socket and the OEM passenger side tail lights on the GX are wired differently than the Prado's.

Since you can't rewire the tail lamps, you need to change the wires in the GX's socket.

If you want the bottom light to work in conjunction with the turn signal, you need to also change a wire on the driver's side socket.

~ Cap
Old 04-25-05, 07:55 PM
strat1
Driver School Candidate

cap,
I'm going to have one of the toyota electrical guys rewire the prado taillamps. He was not completely familiar with the gx but said that a "bulb out" sensor light on the dash could possibly remain on. I haven't checked the manual yet, but does anyone know if one of these indicator lights exists on the gx?
Cap, did you run into any problems like this?
Old 04-25-05, 09:16 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Prado Lights

Cap, did you run into any problems like this?
Strat.....

No problems at all. Moved a couple of wires from one side of the socket to the other, then spliced the bottom light wire so that it works with the Turn Signal.

I doubt the Prado Assembly can be rewired.

~ Cap
Old 04-30-05, 08:40 AM
strat1
Driver School Candidate

Default finally DONE!!!

Well after months of trying to make this work, I finally got the Prado taillights installed by one of the Toyota dealers. Rewiring costs were $160. I put an amber bulb in the third socket and they rewired it to function as a 2nd turn signal. Works perfectly. Everybody at the d-ship was commenting on how good they look on the gx. Felt like I was taking the gx in for plastic surgery as it does change the look of the truck.
Old 04-30-05, 09:25 AM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well after months of trying to make this work, I finally got the Prado taillights installed by one of the Toyota dealers. Rewiring costs were $160. I put an amber bulb in the third socket and they rewired it to function as a 2nd turn signal. Works perfectly. Everybody at the d-ship was commenting on how good they look on the gx. Felt like I was taking the gx in for plastic surgery as it does change the look of the truck.
I just came back and got the prado lights . can you take a pic of back of the light to see what the guys did. Please, Thanks.
Old 04-30-05, 09:00 PM
strat1
Driver School Candidate

I'll try to take a pic of the back of the lights and post soon. I know that the toyota guy that wired mine said that he had to take some "pins" from the gx sockets to make it work. Installing these lights is definately not plug n play (even if you just want to use the top two sockets).
I have a brand new pair of CLEAR prado taillights (with bulbs/sockets) that I will be selling soon if anyone is interested.
Old 02-22-06, 08:39 AM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Capirato
Strat.....

No problems at all. Moved a couple of wires from one side of the socket to the other, then spliced the bottom light wire so that it works with the Turn Signal.

I doubt the Prado Assembly can be rewired.

~ Cap

I can see the wires that need to be moved on the passenger side socket, but I don't know how to move them.

Is there an easy way to release the wires from one locationi and move them to another?

I tried to pull them out but they won't release.

I hope someone can help.
Old 02-22-06, 07:11 PM
peterGX470
Driver

The passenger side harness required a little modification. Just move the top two wires over to the empty slot. I used the last lense for a reverse light as it was intended for. Then I replaced the reverse light on the door with super white bulbs so the rear camera can see better at night. Work Perfect!!
Attached Thumbnails prado taillamp problem-parado.jpg