GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2003 to 2005 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-05, 07:58 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 to 2005 upgrade

Just traded in my 2003 (60,000 miles!) for a brand new 2005. Both were fully loaded. I thought I would share my very initial comparisons (1-day!!!)

First of all its nice to have a new truck. The 2003 was starting to rattle and shake a bit and a nice quiet tight new truck is a pleasure. Having said that - the 2005 "feels different". I'm not sure if its real or imagined - or if its the extra HP, the gearing, torque or whatever but I feel and hear a difference. I think its got more pep but I will withhold judgement until I've had more time behind the wheel.

Most things are the same although I appreciate the new (for me) rear camera. The dealer told me that the Bluetooth was still short of expectations with Verizon but that they expected Verizon/Motorola to have "a fix" within about 30 days. The hands free worked fine from both driver and passenger seat - although it will not allow transfer of phone book, nor will it allow the phone to ring (it will vibrate if set that way) but only way to know you have a call is (1) ML mutes if on (2) screen changes to phone screen. I hope the fix rumor is true.

NAV is somewhat different. V4.02. Colors are brighter and it is significantly faster in calculating routes etc than V3 in 2003 (and way faster than V1 I have in my SC). Interface is very different too although nothing earth shattering (click on the name now instead of the button next to the name as an example of the difference). Calibration is different (I used to set mine at 1/8 mi - now the choices are 300ft, 700ft etc -). Since I live in Manhattan I got to experience the new "footprint" level (<300ft) of buildings. It adds lots of colors and shapes to the maps (looks cool) but I cant see any value in it at all. When you are at the base of a 75 story skyscraper its pretty tough to "match up" the footprint on the screen with a block wide building. Also - many buildings aren't there - I think this feature is lame.

Voice recognition is very much improved. "Chinese Food" command actually got me Chinese Food icons - amazing. Also more accurate (i.e. address more closely matches actual location). My address is "28". On V3 in front of my home it showed "120" - now it shows "32" - getting much closer.

AND THEY HAVE CHANGED THE "VOICE" PROMPT SO THAT IF YOU TURN IT OFF IT STAYS OFF! NO MORE HAVING TO TURN THE VOICE OFF EACH TIME YOU START UP

I added a remote start ($695 at dealer) because its 10-degrees in northeast - very smart security set up so people cant drive off with the car.

Still wish there was a bit more storage space for coins etc.

All in all I am very pleased with the minor changes that I have discovered so far. I will keep you posted!
Old 01-19-05, 08:01 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

CONGRATS again!

I'm still waiting for a Hybrid GX!
Old 01-22-05, 01:02 PM
177mph
Pole Position

Now that youve had it a little longer - any thoughts?
Old 01-24-05, 02:33 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Conrats on the new wheels! Glad you like the new features. As far as the engine goes? I'd suspect what you are feeling is simply a brand new car versus an old one. I compared a new 2004 to a new 2005 and felt absolutely no difference in the engines at all. Even at freeway speeds. You step on the gas and it downshifts and roars ahead just like always. No difference at all that I can hear OR feel. That's just my findings YMMV. Still, thought I'd chime in for those of us that decided to save some cash over some horsepower.
Old 01-24-05, 03:14 PM
chip99
Rookie

hey there i read that you live in nyc; do you have trouble parking? I travel to the city often and some garages give me a hard time. I often park in soho and then cab it around the city but when i have to be in mid town its a pain. thanks
Old 01-24-05, 05:14 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Further thoughts

Originally Posted by bareyb
Conrats on the new wheels! Glad you like the new features. As far as the engine goes? I'd suspect what you are feeling is simply a brand new car versus an old one. I compared a new 2004 to a new 2005 and felt absolutely no difference in the engines at all. Even at freeway speeds. You step on the gas and it downshifts and roars ahead just like always. No difference at all that I can hear OR feel. That's just my findings YMMV. Still, thought I'd chime in for those of us that decided to save some cash over some horsepower.
You may certainly be right. Its really hard to tell and quite frankly if there is any difference it is pretty subtle. There is really not that much to compare since it is essentially the same truck - the NAV is the main difference so far. I think the screen is a bit harder to see in the day (less contrast, change in the prompts etc) and easier in the night than my 2003. Also some of the new features are nice although it takes a while to get used to them.

If anyone has anything in particular that I can try to look at or address let me know.
Old 01-24-05, 05:17 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default oversizes trouble

Originally Posted by chip99
hey there i read that you live in nyc; do you have trouble parking? I travel to the city often and some garages give me a hard time. I often park in soho and then cab it around the city but when i have to be in mid town its a pain. thanks
The "trouble" is that in NYC there is a relatively new "scam" where garages charge an extra $10 for "oversize" vehicles - although there is no standard on what that means. Practically all garages upon seeing a truck like the GX try to charge me the oversize fee. But since I was not born yesterday now demand to see the "standards" which of course they cannot produce. Some have a list - and 9 times out of 10 the LX is on it but not the GX so I ususally win the battle - but it is a hassle.

I've actually begun to carry a Lexus advertisement that shows the three trucks to show that the "LX" is the "oversize" one.

Maybe I should move to Wyoming.
Old 01-24-05, 10:41 PM
chip99
Rookie

i know what you mean it is tuff that is one of the reasons i use the guy in soho & because i use him so much he knows my truck and i do believe him when he says he will park if "safe" so its not dinged on the doors etc but when its cold and snowing raining etc is wish it was a car
Old 01-27-05, 04:26 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default I take it back

Originally Posted by Knicksfan
Having said that - the 2005 "feels different". I'm not sure if its real or imagined - or if its the extra HP, the gearing, torque or whatever but I feel and hear a difference. I think its got more pep but I will withhold judgement until I've had more time behind the wheel.

!
I take it back - I can't really feel any difference between the engine on the 2003 and the 2005. I've now put almost 1000 miles on in a number of acceleration scenarios and I was wrong...it feels exactly the same - good but still a few times I wish there was a little more to give me.
Old 01-28-05, 02:54 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Knicksfan
I take it back - I can't really feel any difference between the engine on the 2003 and the 2005. I've now put almost 1000 miles on in a number of acceleration scenarios and I was wrong...it feels exactly the same - good but still a few times I wish there was a little more to give me.
Thank you for your honest appraisal. Pretty refreshing in this day and age. I agree it would be fun to have a bit more power, but just be glad you didn't decide on the LX. My Sister has one of those, and quite frankly, the GX feels like a race car in comparison.

Having said that, I think the power is appropriate for what it is. It's got more guts than most of the other SUV's I've driven. It may not have the Horsepower figures of some of them, but frankly Horsepower is an over rated and easily manipulated stat. There are V6 engines with more HP but if you drive them you will find that the GX has more "power". It's pretty hard to beat the steady strong pull of a well made V8 and the venerable 4.7 Lexus powerplant is one of the best. Not to mention one of the most reliable.