GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Blew a fuse in my Xenon Depot kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-05, 09:31 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blew a fuse in my Xenon Depot kit

I went to start up the wife's GX tonight in the garage and I had foglights without headlights. I tried turning the lights on and off manually and I couldn't hear the click of the relay. I figured the 20 amp fuse between the battery and relay was shot. Sure enough. I put a new fuse in and everything's fine. Now the bigger question, why did it blow??

I think I may know why. Yesterday morning, my wife went to start the GX at her parents house. The GX was outside and it was still dark out (the lights are in "auto" mode). She realizes she can't find her keys and she's running late for work. She rememebered she had the "emergency" credit card key in her wallet. What she forgot was that the transponder is in the key holder and must be held close to the ignition key. The transponder part went back into her purse and she couldn't understand why the engine was cranking and cranking and not starting. MInd you, the HID's would have been on the whole time during cranking. After a several cranking attempts with no luck, she ended up taking her dad's GX to work. She found her keys later and the GX started right up. I'm sure the long cranking played havoc with the electrical system and popped the fuse. I'd rather have a blown fuse than two messed up ballasts.

I'm still keeping a watchful eye out to make sure they don't go out again. If they don't, I'm sure it was related to the cranking incident.
Old 01-18-05, 11:00 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by steevr

I tried turning the lights on and off manually and I couldn't hear the click of the relay.
Steevr.....

I think you should be able hear the click of the relay, even when the fuse from the battery to the relay is blown. The power to the relay activator has a different fuse, which is the fuse that originally powered one of the OEM low beams. Unless the relay is wired differently than the ones I have used.

~ Cap
Old 01-19-05, 06:39 AM
DavidsGX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is wried! HID uses lower waltage than the factory light. Could it be Short Circuit?