GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

never a clunk but a slipping sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-05, 02:39 PM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy never a clunk but a slipping sound

Today made the 3rd time hearing it, first 2 times I thought it was it my head. I am stopped on an incline waiting for the light to change the light changes, I step on the gas, I hear what sounds like metal grinding and an alarm going off, beep beep beep, then in about 3-5 seconds all sounds go away and off I go.........sounds like another trip to the dealer but thought I would post anyway.
Old 01-10-05, 03:04 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any lights on the dash when that happens
Old 01-10-05, 03:54 PM
98Nav400
Driver

Mine does this to. When the vehicle is in Drive and rolls backwards it seems to cause the sensors to think that the vehicle has lost traction and activated the VSC. I have noticed mine do this on steeper inclines while transitioning from the brake to the gas or if I unintentionally put the vehicle into drive from reverse prior to stopping all backwards movement.

I have assumed this is normal.
Old 01-10-05, 07:04 PM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Default Lights on dash....

hmmmm - haven't really looked, will try to make it happen tomorrow and watch the dash, good idea, thanks

I will post results
Old 01-10-05, 08:29 PM
kb2yza
Pole Position

Default Hill start assisst

This is just a thought that popped in my head... Is it possibly somthing to do with the hill start assisst? possibly and alarm telling you it is activating? Not sure how it works don't own one...YET.
--Pete
Old 01-14-05, 05:20 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

it is VSC and happens to me also. it's normal (even though it doesn't sound like it! )
Old 01-15-05, 09:00 AM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gx470atl
Today made the 3rd time hearing it, first 2 times I thought it was it my head. I am stopped on an incline waiting for the light to change the light changes, I step on the gas, I hear what sounds like metal grinding and an alarm going off, beep beep beep, then in about 3-5 seconds all sounds go away and off I go.........sounds like another trip to the dealer but thought I would post anyway.

Ever think maybe its the Hill-Start Assist Control? Since you say you were on a incline, it sounds like the vehicle sensed it was rolling down the incline but not enough gas was applied so it actuated the ABS on each tire making a VERY scary grinding noise! Something like this happened to me a few times but I am such a Lex Geek, I knew what was happening. Around my hosue theres a big mountain with the uphill road at about a 45 degree grade to a flat surface at the top of the mountain:

TOP SURFACE

When I release the brake, the car rolls an inch back and then the HAC kicks in with a grinding noise (the breaks being actuated methodically).

Using this for wheel reference, the car might use this type of independant braking patter for example:

FL FR
O__O
O---O
RL RR

RR, RL,FR,FL,RR,RR,RL,FR,RR,RR,RL,FR,FL,RR,RL,RL

THis methodic actuation causes a grinding noise that normally sounds really scary. You might also hear the tranny or differential making noise during this.

The same noise should be heard with Downhill Assist Control, maybe give DAC a try and see if that is what you heard.

Hope thats all it is, but Good Luck!

Last edited by yaro1; 01-15-05 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-15-05, 08:13 PM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Default I think that is what it is......

Originally Posted by yaro1
Ever think maybe its the Hill-Start Assist Control? Since you say you were on a incline, it sounds like the vehicle sensed it was rolling down the incline but not enough gas was applied so it actuated the ABS on each tire making a VERY scary grinding noise! Something like this happened to me a few times but I am such a Lex Geek, I knew what was happening. Around my hosue theres a big mountain with the uphill road at about a 45 degree grade to a flat surface at the top of the mountain:

TOP SURFACE

When I release the brake, the car rolls an inch back and then the HAC kicks in with a grinding noise (the breaks being actuated methodically).

Using this for wheel reference, the car might use this type of independant braking patter for example:

FL FR
O__O
O---O
RL RR

RR, RL,FR,FL,RR,RR,RL,FR,RR,RR,RL,FR,FL,RR,RL,RL

THis methodic actuation causes a grinding noise that normally sounds really scary. You might also hear the tranny or differential making noise during this.

The same noise should be heard with Downhill Assist Control, maybe give DAC a try and see if that is what you heard.

Hope thats all it is, but Good Luck!
I have to find a hill to play on, but I am sure it is normal as you all are saying. When I heard the beep beep beep I figured it was doing exactly what it was supposed to be doing.

I am too lazy to read, when can the DAC be turned on, by pushing the button, any time I would like assistance?

Last edited by GS450h FTL; 01-15-05 at 08:15 PM. Reason: to add something