GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

XM .. again..

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-05, 03:07 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato
What's the best antenna for a Sirius receiver ?? Also, where is the best place to mount it ??

~ Cap
I used the antenna that came with the Orbiter. Typically all the car Sirius antennas are the same. But their design is very nice. I remember XM (my XM Commander) just came with a pod that had a doublestick adhesive on it. The Sirius antennas have a magnet attached to the base of the antenna and then there's a rigid rubber wand to keep the antenna straight for about 6-8".

Here's where I mounted it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...59280&posted=1

The Orbiter was nice because I purchased the car kit, the Orbiter, and the boombox. But if I had it to do all over again, I would have purchased the more high end boombox and radio.
Old 01-14-05, 03:38 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Satellite Radio Announces Toyota Deals

Satellite Radio Announces Toyota Deals

The nation's two satellite radio services announced deals Tuesday with Toyota.

Sirius said the automaker will offer its service as both a post production and dealer installed option in nine models beginning in February 2005. The Toyota models include Camry, Solara and Solara Convertible, Land Cruiser, Lexus LS 430, Lexus ES 330, Lexus LX 470, Scion xA, Scion xB and Scion tC.

Toyota joins the ranks of other automotive partners offering Sirius including Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, Infiniti, Jeep, Lincoln-Mercury, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, MINI, Nissan, Porsche and Volkswagen.

As for the other satellite radio player, XM Satellite Radio said Toyota has selected the company for satellite delivered data services for Toyota, Lexus and Scion vehicles.

In addition, XM said Toyota will offer its radios as a factory-installed option in Toyota and Lexus vehicles. The first vehicles factory-installed with XM radios will be available in 2006.

Toyota will expand the factory-installed availability of satellite radio and data services to additional Toyota and Lexus models in the future, and Toyota will expand the number of models offering XM as a dealer-installed option in 2005, XM said.
Old 01-14-05, 05:26 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

When 2006 rolls around, I hope there are opportunities for Sirius to als become a dealer installed option, but for now, I'm sure integration will be great for the dealer installed/post production options.
Old 01-16-05, 05:15 PM
bobgore
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM, Sirrius

Ultimate Electronics mounts the receiver in the sunglass case rather than replacing it. You can therefore keep you voice command mic (and the Automatic Sound Level sensor?) and swing your receiver out of the way.
Old 01-16-05, 05:38 PM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by bobgore

Ultimate Electronics mounts the receiver in the sunglass case rather than replacing it. You can therefore keep you voice command mic (and the Automatic Sound Level sensor?) and swing your receiver out of the way.
Bob.....

That sounds very interesting. I plan to have the installer move the mic to another location. Should work.

I'm curious as to which Sirus controller Ultimate Electronics uses, that will fit in the sunglass pocket.

~ Cap
Old 01-16-05, 06:27 PM
steevr
Pole Position

I have my XM Roady 2 mounted in the sunglass holder on my RX. The antenna wire is hidden along the a-pillar and sits on the dash at the base of the windshield. The power is tapped into the auto dim mirror power feed. The sunglass holder closes once you've selected your station.
Old 01-16-05, 10:29 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Roady 2

Originally Posted by steevr

I have my XM Roady 2 mounted in the sunglass holder on my RX. The antenna wire is hidden along the a-pillar and sits on the dash at the base of the windshield. The power is tapped into the auto dim mirror power feed. The sunglass holder closes once you've selected your station.
Steevr.....

Sounds like a good choice. Where did you place the receiver ??

~ Cap
Old 01-16-05, 10:36 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Cap,

The Roady 2 is the receiver. It has a built in FM modulator that transmits to your choice of 8 or so unused FM frequencies.

This same kind of thread is going on at the RX forum section. I will post pics tomorrow of my setup in that section.
Old 01-17-05, 12:06 AM
Capirato
Racer

Default Satellite Radio Receiver

Originally Posted by steevr

Cap,

The Roady 2 is the receiver. It has a built in FM modulator that transmits to your choice of 8 or so unused FM frequencies.
Steevr.....

I'm going with Sirius. Below is the only system I could find where the controller would fit in the Sun Glasses pocket.

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...e/satradiy.jpg

~ Cap
Old 01-17-05, 08:11 AM
steevr
Pole Position

Cap,

I just posted pics in the RX section.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146928
Old 01-17-05, 10:59 AM
bobgore
Rookie

Default Satellite receiver in sunglass holder

Cap,

I don't know what receiver Ultimate uses. They mount it an a specially made facia that gives it an integrated look and allows the receiver to be out of sight when you close the hatch. Al work is confined to a small area since electrical supply and antenna placement are within a few inches of the receiver. I like the location since it keeps you eyes up and takes less attention from the street.

Personally, I wouldn't mind simply laying the receiver in the sunglass holder. In that case personal installation may be easy because all you need is power and an antenna "glued" to the inside of your windshield.

I don't know where the mic is for the ASL function of the audio system, but I'll bet it's the same one used for voice command. Simply disconnecting the mic may defeat something you don't use at the expense of not having the ASL function.

Bob
Old 01-18-05, 04:20 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Default Satellite control thru Nav Screen/Vais Tech

Here's what it will look in the navigation screen like using their new Sirius controller. Pretty slick.
Attached Thumbnails XM .. again..-sirius-display.gif  
Old 01-18-05, 03:15 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Nice pics

Whose is that? I have a few questions about that system.

Also, which is better, Sirius or XM as per reception in and around New York?

Last edited by yaro1; 01-18-05 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-25-05, 01:58 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yaro1
Nice pics

Whose is that? I have a few questions about that system.

Also, which is better, Sirius or XM as per reception in and around New York?
That's the Vais Tech device we've been discussing. New York... definitely Sirius. There birds fly over North America where XM's are fixed near South America. This means a lower elevation in the sky and the trees of New England will definitely effect signal quality. I drive in and around the back roads of Connecticut and have hardly any problems. Nothing is perfect of course, but when I had XM Radio it was almost unusable.
Old 01-25-05, 02:04 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by looknow12
There birds fly over North America where XM's are fixed near South America.
Do they both service south America or something? If not, it seems only logical that they put the satellites over where they have service....DUH!!!!

XM's are at the equator, thats great if you live in ecuador,
Sirius' while they do go over North America, go down to South America also

WHATS THE DEAL???