GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

15k Mile service

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-04, 03:18 PM
geewiss
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15k Mile service

Ok, coming up on 15K miles and I have a dilemma. Do you all pay the 250 bucks and get the 15K service or do you all just get an oil change at jiffy lube and rotate the tires yourself?
Old 09-22-04, 04:35 PM
Kbach
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you can get a modified 15K mile service that does more than the oil change, but less than the owners manual states. Don't remember what all was included. I guess it depends on how you drive your truck. Mines was mostly highway, so I opted for the lesser service.
Old 09-23-04, 04:47 PM
lexite
Driver

Man! I paid $410 as a regular price @ Magnussen Lexus of Fremont. I do not even let them wash my car. Is that a cost of that rx loaner they you to driver or what? I'm confused. Aren't serving prices regulated by Lexus for authorised dealers or they expect people to shop around?
Old 09-24-04, 04:56 AM
Traturn
Driver

Aren't serving prices regulated by Lexus for authorised dealers
Any dealer has free reign to setup their own maintainance schedule.

get a breakdown of whats going to be done, and understand it before you sign !
Old 09-26-04, 12:27 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MAGNESSEN HAS ALWAYS BEEN ON THE HIGH SIDE

Hello,
I have always thought that MAGNUSSEN LEXUS has been on the high side of reasonable when it comes to service. On the other hand, they must be doing something right, because their service bays are always full, and you have to make an appointment.

I would say to always check around, because LEXUS is NOT immune to what some of us call price gouging for the uninitiated. Many folks just pay what they ask, mainly because the car is a LEXUS, and they feel that paying large sums instills confidence. If you have the extra money, and don't care what you are charged, go ahead without getting a second opinion.

I am NOT one of those folks, however. Even though I don't feel that I am cheap (who really calls themselves cheap?), I am careful with my money, and I WILL ask for clarifiation if something seems amiss.

From what I have seen and heard of MAGNUSSEN LEXUS, I would classify them as a Lexus "stealer", but then, that is just my opinion.

Last edited by gserep1; 09-26-04 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-26-04, 06:10 AM
tcesario
Driver School Candidate

I paid $315 for my 15K service (plus air filter...dunno if this is typically part of the 15K or not) at Lexus Carlsbad (San Diego). They wanted a ton for a front brake job which I refused and did that someplace else.

I'm not very happy with Lexus Carlsbad anyway. I'll definately shop my next service around. Glad I'm still using my $1K Lexus Debit Card at least.

-Tony
Old 09-26-04, 02:29 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Since purchasing a GS400 in 1999, I have been very happy with Magnussen. I don't think the prices for servicing have been unusually high. BTW, a loaner is a loaner, so you don't pay anything for that. Magnussen does things for the customer without charging. They have reapplied MagnaShield touchups between the stated eighteen month periods several times, replaced chrome wheel hub covers for the 17 inch wheels, chromed valve stem caps, installed the stainless steel exhaust tip and replaced a three year old battery. They threw in heat shields for the windshields and discounted the prices on all weather mats, non third row cargo area carpet, nose mask and stainless steel exhaust tip. I'm pretty picky about work done on my vehicles and have never had a complaint concerning the quality of the work done or the cleanliness of the car/truck when they are finished

Magnussen offered me the best prices on my current vehicles. All this might change after they move to the new site
Old 09-29-04, 05:53 AM
geewiss
Rookie

Well I decided to go ahead and get the 15k service for 250. But there wwas a problem. I called to schedule the appt and now the 15k service is 512 bucks. Not sure what is going on but I am going to do it myself and safe 500 bucks. Rediculus that they have people quoting prices and they dont knwo what the hell they are talking about. This is not been a pleasure owning this lexus.
Old 09-29-04, 09:25 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you guys give us a list of the items covered in your 15k service?
How come the cost vary that much? I am about to do the 15k service soon.

BTW, the clunk has slowly come back to my gx, maybe its time to lube the driveshaft again?
Old 09-29-04, 09:54 AM
geewiss
Rookie

Originally posted by super_cjc
Could you guys give us a list of the items covered in your 15k service?
How come the cost vary that much? I am about to do the 15k service soon.

BTW, the clunk has slowly come back to my gx, maybe its time to lube the driveshaft again?
I'm not sure of everthing that is done at your dealer as it varies by dealer. Also the dealers are all independant and can charge what they feel is "fair" for the given area.
Old 10-04-04, 07:36 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

I can look up the exact cost tomorrow, but I know I paid in the neighborhood of $500 for that 15k visit.
Old 10-04-04, 08:13 PM
GX470forme
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: MAGNESSEN HAS ALWAYS BEEN ON THE HIGH SIDE

Originally posted by gserep1
Hello,
I have always thought that MAGNUSSEN LEXUS has been on the high side of reasonable when it comes to service. On the other hand, they must be doing something right, because their service bays are always full, and you have to make an appointment.

I would say to always check around, because LEXUS is NOT immune to what some of us call price gouging for the uninitiated. Many folks just pay what they ask, mainly because the car is a LEXUS, and they feel that paying large sums instills confidence. If you have the extra money, and don't care what you are charged, go ahead without getting a second opinion.

I am NOT one of those folks, however. Even though I don't feel that I am cheap (who really calls themselves cheap?), I am careful with my money, and I WILL ask for clarifiation if something seems amiss.

From what I have seen and heard of MAGNUSSEN LEXUS, I would classify them as a Lexus "stealer", but then, that is just my opinion.
I agree, they are on the high side, and yes they do charge a fee for their loaners, as I have been made to pay them.

I go to the new service center on Martin Ave, (near SJ Airport) (part of Stevens Creek Lexus) now. Their shop is awesome as you can see the service bay (which is immaculate) from the waiting area. They also provide free loaners (currenty the RX330 and ES330) plus they flip the bill for the gas. They give it to you full and tell you to bring it back without going to the station.

They also wash your car as they have their very own car washing bay. It is really an awesome service center with typical Lexus immpecable service.

Last edited by GX470forme; 10-04-04 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-05-04, 10:54 AM
lexite
Driver

Magnussen used to charge a lot more reasonable cost a few years ago. It could be just a promotional thing after they bought the Lexus of Fremont around '99 to be popular. Since then they have come a loooong way. I still think they are good with servicing but they have raised cost a bit and also have started charging $5 per day for loaner to cover gas. It is not about money but still gives some kind of discomfort. I think they still are better than Putnam.

I have not tried Lexus of Stevens Creek except for a couple of minor services. If I recall correctly, they used to give out a free rental (toyota,...) but not a loner lexus. Does not matter much to me but it seems like they have changed. I did not know about their new service center. I guess it is worth to give it a try given the recommendation of GX470forme.
Old 10-05-04, 06:35 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The Magnussen $5 fuel charge on loaners was effective on January 1st of this year. It's not applied across the board, obviously, since I have had maybe three or four loaners this year and have not paid a fuel charge yet. I live in Cupertino so it's not like I am just a couple miles away from the dealership.