GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

DIY : painting rotor hubs

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-15, 12:35 AM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default DIY : painting rotor hubs

pretty straight foward DIY You'll need:
-High temp primer
-high temp paint
-news papers=
- some sticky tape (painters tape)
- brake cleaner
- towels (used microfiber towels) or paper towels (lint free)!!!!
step 1 : clean the rotors with brake cleaner to remove the residue on it, spray everything so the paint wont possible get damaged later from spraying later
step 2 : clean off the brake cleaner with a towel (dont use lint paper towels it'll leave some lint which will be PIA to get off later)
Step 3 wrap the rotors (not the hub part) with news paper and tape off the section close the desired painting area

My fromt rotors had some a gap between the rotors and the hub so i just stuffed it in there make sure to tape down the news paper cause it might get in the way

for the rears i tried to leave a good amount of room and to the certain point i wanted to paint it too... Another way would be to just tape the pad contacting parts... I would thing put news paper under the tape instead just using alot of tape...

for the method i have done for the rear's i tried to tape down news paper as much as i could to access the bottom part of the hub...

Step 4 : now begin applying the primer. You want to follow the can instructions spray about a foot away or what you feel comfortable in range... I applied about 3 coats the first coat i sprayed waited about 10 minutes to dry then sprayed again for 3rd I sprayed after the 2nd coat after about a couple of hours since i had to go to work... I would say you can spray after 10 minutes let it settle for about an hour...

Here it is with all the hubs primed

Step 5 : after letting the primer settle you can being spraying the hub with the paint you desire... Just repeat the same steps as step 4 and you should be done!

heres the finished product!!!

As you can see you should be in a well ventilated closed area... I ended up getting some little speckles of stuff on my hub... and some running paint on it but I aint perfect

Last edited by xbladex00; 05-16-15 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-16-15, 05:03 AM
sonnyhood
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

awesome mate, wd.
mine are rusted out, they rusted within 3 days of installing the new rotors, i always wanted to do this
Old 05-16-15, 08:57 AM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sonnyhood
awesome mate, wd.
mine are rusted out, they rusted within 3 days of installing the new rotors, i always wanted to do this
you still could! just need to sand off the rust ! I need to actually redo the rear rotors i messed up and only got like half of the hub LOL
Old 05-16-15, 09:16 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You should spray the outside perimeter of the rotor(inside the vent area of the rotors), because that rusts too. It changes the way the rotor looks up close.
Old 05-16-15, 11:41 AM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NickTee
You should spray the outside perimeter of the rotor(inside the vent area of the rotors), because that rusts too. It changes the way the rotor looks up close.
do you mean around the hub? or literally the insides of the rotor? i should have just went the tape route... i'm doing the tape route right now for the rear rotors since they look bad @.@ Also my friend keeps telling me the paint is ganna catch on fire... So im also kind of having second thoughts...
Old 05-16-15, 04:20 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

I use the tape method after having a mess up with the first time witht rear rotors

This is what happens when u use newspaper!

This is the finish product of using the tape method on the rotors... I used duct tape ITS A VERY BAD IDEA!!!! I HAD TO SAND OFF THE STICKY RESIDUE! SO USE MASKING TAPE!
Old 05-16-15, 08:16 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

I was going to comment about you using duct tape.

A word of advice though xblade, I'd go out and test what you do before I post tutorials like this.

I'm sure the paint will not light on fire though . Fire starts because of the alcohol-base in spray paints, once the paint dries and alcohol dissipates, paint shouldn't be flammable
Old 05-16-15, 08:37 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

1. Use painter's tape to mask off the area if you feel so inclined. Honestly, it's overkill because of #2. An easier way to do it is to get a piece of cardboard, trace the diameter of the rotor hat, cut it out so it is a little larger than the rotor hat, slide that on and spray. Refer to the old rotor to see what visible areas rusted, that way you can spray those areas.
2. The brakes will wear off any overspray on the braking surface without any ill effects. Just make sure to drive in the parking lot and do multiple stops so it wears off.
3. I used the paint they for brake kits because I found it to be more durable than high temp paint:
http://www.autozone.com/paint-and-bo...nt/419007_0_0/
4. See the area I squared photo to see the area I am referring to. Spray both the outside perimeter and inside the vents, because it will rust and will be visible up close. Once it is painted, it will look much better.
DIY : painting rotor hubs-pj7rcgd.jpg

Final thoughts: Duct tape sucks. It leaves a sticky mess and is difficult to work with. Only use it as a last resort.

Last edited by NickTee; 05-16-15 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-17-15, 02:51 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
I was going to comment about you using duct tape.

A word of advice though xblade, I'd go out and test what you do before I post tutorials like this.

I'm sure the paint will not light on fire though . Fire starts because of the alcohol-base in spray paints, once the paint dries and alcohol dissipates, paint shouldn't be flammable
Well thats good to hear my friend keeps telling me its a bad idea... I thought i'd be done and doing my own way would be best with what i have... I knew duct tap was ganna be a bad idea but it was my last resort and i sort of wanted to finish it sooner than later
Old 05-17-15, 02:55 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NickTee
1. Use painter's tape to mask off the area if you feel so inclined. Honestly, it's overkill because of #2. An easier way to do it is to get a piece of cardboard, trace the diameter of the rotor hat, cut it out so it is a little larger than the rotor hat, slide that on and spray. Refer to the old rotor to see what visible areas rusted, that way you can spray those areas.
2. The brakes will wear off any overspray on the braking surface without any ill effects. Just make sure to drive in the parking lot and do multiple stops so it wears off.
3. I used the paint they for brake kits because I found it to be more durable than high temp paint:
http://www.autozone.com/paint-and-bo...nt/419007_0_0/
4. See the area I squared photo to see the area I am referring to. Spray both the outside perimeter and inside the vents, because it will rust and will be visible up close. Once it is painted, it will look much better.

Final thoughts: Duct tape sucks. It leaves a sticky mess and is difficult to work with. Only use it as a last resort.
Wow i should have thought of the cardboard method! I Have the VHT primer! and am using caliper paint from pepboys
I'll see if could get in those spots... I might, might not do it cause i dont have much time only have like 2 days off at most a week