GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Climate Control -D Cold Pass-hot

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-15, 05:37 AM
leeadrian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate Control -D Cold Pass-hot

I just got my 3GS and cannot figure this out. Climate control temp is set both driver and pass for 67 degrees. Outside is 27degrees and when car is warmed up, I turn on climate control, driver side*far left vent and one of middle vent) blows cold air yet passenger side hot air. Temp setting is same both 67 degrees.
Turned AC off, still the same. Dual on and off, still the same...
I am stumped. Help.
Old 03-24-15, 06:41 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its possible that the motor/sensor that adjust the air temp from hot to cold may be bad or broken on the passanger side. that would be my first guess that its stuck to a higher temp on the passanger side. being your from illinois im sure its cold there and the passenger side might have been sitting at a high temp setting for awhile.

but i dont really know the full data on how our heating and cooling work on the 3gs. just thought id throw it out there.
Old 03-24-15, 07:01 AM
leeadrian
Driver School Candidate

What kind of sensor would that be? I mean, for outside 27 degrees, passenger side seems right temperature, it is the driver side that is cold air blowing in.
Old 03-24-15, 09:40 AM
texbanc
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be a bad solenoid that controls the air flow. Drivers side might be stuck in a position to let in cold air or block hot air. Solenoid a are behind the dash.

Tex
Old 03-24-15, 10:34 AM
leeadrian
Driver School Candidate

Default Pa and DIY

Originally Posted by texbanc
It could be a bad solenoid that controls the air flow. Drivers side might be stuck in a position to let in cold air or block hot air. Solenoid a are behind the dash.

Tex
Hi Tex, do you have part number or what it is officially called? Also, is this something I can tackle as DIY?
Old 03-24-15, 10:47 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah unfortunately it may be a long DIY or it could just require removing the dash console and the glove to fix.

i couldn't tell you what sensor but you can try adjusting the temperature and keep an eye on what moves while everything is removed.

i had a similar problem with my civic and it turns out the valve to my heater core was stuck open, the motor that pulls is shut was bad so wasn't getting any AC. luckily the heater core valve and the motor for it was in the engine bay on my civic so it was a simple fix.

with the car on and engine off have you tried adjusting the temperature on the passenger side while the fan is on low to hear if there is any strange sounds that can be the cause of the problem.

Last edited by uberEJ; 03-24-15 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-24-15, 12:26 PM
leeadrian
Driver School Candidate

Default Will test and hear

Originally Posted by uberEJ
yeah unfortunately it may be a long DIY or it could just require removing the dash console and the glove to fix.

i couldn't tell you what sensor but you can try adjusting the temperature and keep an eye on what moves while everything is removed.

i had a similar problem with my civic and it turns out the valve to my heater core was stuck open, the motor that pulls is shut was bad so wasn't getting any AC. luckily the heater core valve and the motor for it was in the engine bay on my civic so it was a simple fix.

with the car on and engine off have you tried adjusting the temperature on the passenger side while the fan is on low to hear if there is any strange sounds that can be the cause of the problem.
Hi Uber, thanks. I will try to hear the sound as you suggested. I am very reluctant to remove the whole dash as I have experienced, something does not go back in as it were before...
Old 03-25-15, 05:13 AM
leeadrian
Driver School Candidate

Well, I did not hear ANY sound when I turn the climate control on. This morning, engine warm up, turn on the climate control, initially blows warm air on driver side, but slowly changes to cold air. Temp set at 75. Is this the servo motor issue?
Old 03-25-15, 07:32 AM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Most likely it's not holding the blend door open...if it's not that and you have heat on the passenger side then the assembly might be damaged...which would really suck...
Old 03-25-15, 09:42 AM
leeadrian
Driver School Candidate

Default Assembly?

Originally Posted by Gotcha350
Most likely it's not holding the blend door open...if it's not that and you have heat on the passenger side then the assembly might be damaged...which would really suck...
Are you referring to the Servo motor assembly?
Old 03-25-15, 10:09 AM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Yes....you have a total of 5...I don't know which one controls the blend level for the heater door but you have one for the passenger side and one for the drivers side.
Old 03-25-15, 10:44 AM
leeadrian
Driver School Candidate

Default Driver Servo Motor

Yes....you have a total of 5...I don't know which one controls the blend level for the heater door but you have one for the passenger side and one for the drivers side.
Well, cranking up the heater and only passenger side is getting the heat, I am assuming it is the drivers side Servo motor. I have found one new for $98 part# 87106-30351. I am going to take a look at the driver side servo unit to see it is in fact not moving with climate control change. If it is not, then I will know for sure it is the driver servo unit.

I have heard from someone that coolant low or bubble in coolant can cause this as well? Is this true?
Old 03-25-15, 01:09 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Low coolant or a bubble in the cooling system will cause a loss of heat but it should cause loss of heat on both sides....you still only have one heater core...
Old 03-25-15, 02:54 PM
leeadrian
Driver School Candidate

Default Servo Motor it is

Low coolant or a bubble in the cooling system will cause a loss of heat but it should cause loss of heat on both sides....you still only have one heater core...
Got it. I will try to open up and see if there is a movement on the air mix Servo on the driver side this weekend. I will snap some pictures as well.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-02-15, 12:35 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

This is as close as I could find to my issue.

I have freezing cold AC when its on AUTO and the **** is set all the way to COLD, then the very first click to 65 degress blows hot air, the same hot temp as when the **** is turned to HOT, any ideas why it wont regulate the temperature more accurately?