GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Thinking about buying a 2010 3GS

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-14, 08:21 PM
XFactor7
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thinking about buying a 2010 3GS

Hi all,

I'm thinking about buying a 2010 3GS with 60k miles from a non-Lexus dealer. From my understanding, I can only buy Lexus VSA warranty from a Lexus dealer at the time of purchase. So I won't be able to buy a Lexus extended warranty if I were to buy this 3GS from the non-Lexus dealer.

Does anyone have any experience buying extended warranty and getting work done under warranty for a Lexus from a non-Lexus dealer? Or would I be better off waiting to buy one from a Lexus dealer?
Old 12-03-14, 08:49 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by XFactor7
Hi all,

I'm thinking about buying a 2010 3GS with 60k miles from a non-Lexus dealer. From my understanding, I can only buy Lexus VSA warranty from a Lexus dealer at the time of purchase. So I won't be able to buy a Lexus extended warranty if I were to buy this 3GS from the non-Lexus dealer.

Does anyone have any experience buying extended warranty and getting work done under warranty for a Lexus from a non-Lexus dealer? Or would I be better off waiting to buy one from a Lexus dealer?
Hey, if you give me a few minutes to dig, there are actually three guys you can contact that many, many people recommend via this site that deal with Lex warranties for great prices! Be with you in a few...
Old 12-03-14, 09:04 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Hi all,

Here you go. Call all three of these guys and see who gives the best deal. From what I understand, your car should qualify for coverage due to to the fact it's only almost 5 years old and decent mileage.

Troy Dietrich, Greenfield, MA.: tdietrich@factorydiscountwarranty.com
Toby, Shreveport, LA.: tobytoyota@aol.com
Jerry Johnson, Kansas: jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com (Really really nice guy)

To find contact numbers for these guys isn't difficult at all. I had them but not in front of me right now. Google them and you'll find the numbers. If I get a chance, I'll post again with contact info. Hope this helps!
Old 12-03-14, 09:14 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Hi all,

Troy Dietrich: 413.772.0231
Toby Rivers: 800.335.3987
Jerry Johnson: 866.983.6468

Again, hope this helps! Good luck!
Old 12-04-14, 06:44 AM
XFactor7
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

CRowe14, thanks for the info! I actually emailed all three of them but received response from only one. The response was that it is not possible because "Dealers can only issue plans on a vehicle that they’re selling if it’s out of warranty. So the only way for you to get a genuine Lexus policy on it, is if you’re purchasing the vehicle from a Toyota or Lexus dealer."

In my case, the 3GS is being sold by a non-Lexus/Toyota dealer.
Old 12-04-14, 02:20 PM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

im picking up a 2010 tommorow, they refined it hd deck aswell
Old 12-04-14, 02:39 PM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bought mines from a Lex dealership using autotrader and I went through this route for the sake of them doing a thorough inspections unlike third-parties where most would buy from the auctions and see if it just "runs" with a straight-body. I went through some hassle buying my wife's Tc when its alternator seized and went to Toyota and have them replace it for $700 after ONE week of buying it plus the third-party dealer was like 2 hours away when the Toyota dealership was like 20 min drive.

Going back to the Lex though, i was offered a simple 24k mile/2 year warranty for 2 grand to add on the car, i was declining but being that my wife was there, i was being forced and pressured by the guy too, so i accepted. Everyone has their own thing about buying from the dealer vs from third-party. I myself have done both in a one year time period (wife's Tc 11 months ago and my GS 4 months ago) and found peace with the dealership. Lots of factors can and may be applied like knowing the history of service and how many owners have owned it. You can probably get a great deal on both sides as well if both are trying to make space for inventory as well. Carfax can somewhat help but some mom and pop shops dont list its fixes or repairs due to their outdated computer systems. I was lucky enough to have just one owner who owned my car and was serviced constantly by the dealer itself, checked it as well through vin# checks through lex website.

The more info you get on the car, the better judgement and decisions you'll make. I used to have an impulse of window shopping but have had bad habits and experience in the past doing that. Lol, goodluck!
Old 12-04-14, 04:42 PM
DRAM40A1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never take your wife to buy a car! LOL
Old 12-04-14, 08:24 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

CRowe14, thanks for the info! I actually emailed all three of them but received response from only one. The response was that it is not possible because "Dealers can only issue plans on a vehicle that they’re selling if it’s out of warranty. So the only way for you to get a genuine Lexus policy on it, is if you’re purchasing the vehicle from a Toyota or Lexus dealer."

In my case, the 3GS is being sold by a non-Lexus/Toyota dealer.
Really? Who was it that responded?
I could have sworn that they were able to offer up an extended Lexus warranty as let as it met age/mileage criteria. I think it was Jerry I spoke to a few months ago when I was considering my a gs 430, but I didn't qualify for anything, as it was an 06 with over 100k miles. But if i recall correctly, if the miles weren't so high it may have worked. I even spoke to a local Lex dealer and he told me the same thing. Maybe somethin my has changed as of recent, I'm not sure. But you should be able to find something with one of the guys I have you. Hope it works out, as I imagine it should with a young car with relatively lower miles.