GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Auto Folding Mirrors on GS

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-13, 06:14 PM
avs20
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, each time I fold mine in I'm scared!
Old 09-30-13, 07:28 PM
Majek
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Are there are actual stories of members here who have had their mirror gears strip and therefore no longer fold?

EDIT: Just did a search and found out it is a problem. However in some cases, it could have been because someone hit the mirror at the parking lot when not folded in. I'm still not sure if the gears will strip just by frequently folding in and out?

Last edited by Majek; 09-30-13 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 07:49 PM
SoCal_450h
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by worker
beautifully done.

Thank You...

is there any trick to get the window to roll up with remote? Or auto lock with smart key when engine off and you walk away?
For windows roll up, I believe you need to push the lock button for 5sec
and for the other one, I wished that too...LOL

Originally Posted by Aristo8
Very nice, where can I purchase this? And how long did it take you to install?
I did some research and end up at IS forum from Australia and I contacted the guy and from there we share some information. It took me couple hours to install both side. and believe it or not take off the door panel is the hardest part.

Originally Posted by 1SLOGS
I so want to do this with my mirrors!!!! is it possible for you to share the DIY with us ?
Sure Im going to update the 1st post with the instruction I got from Russian Fella (in English)...LOL

Originally Posted by masboy
yeaaa boiii.....sexey!! i doubt it he took pic of each step. i'll remind him when he works on next car
I Wonder who would that be my next car victim??...LOL

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
nicely done! i assume you used the notes from the 2IS forum.

just becareful though as the gears on the 3GS mirrors tend to strip very easily.
Yes, I keep following the tread from IS section

Originally Posted by Stormforge
thx for posting, good to see someone finally do the auto-folding mirror mod.
No Problem, I learn a lot from this forum too, Just want to share with other fellow Lexus

Originally Posted by Stormforge
i could be wrong, but i recall someone cracked open the whole assembly and machined a gear wheel out of metal and managed to fix it that way?
Do you have the link or more information for the gears?
Old 09-30-13, 08:32 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal_450h
For windows roll up, I believe you need to push the lock button for 5sec
and for the other one, I wished that too...LOL

I did some research and end up at IS forum from Australia and I contacted the guy and from there we share some information. It took me couple hours to install both side. and believe it or not take off the door panel is the hardest part.

Sure Im going to update the 1st post with the instruction I got from Russian Fella (in English)...LOL

I Wonder who would that be my next car victim??...LOL

Yes, I keep following the tread from IS section

No Problem, I learn a lot from this forum too, Just want to share with other fellow Lexus

Actually, in the US, you can't have auto-roll up windows. Apparently (I was explained by my service advisor), that they stopped letting cars have that function because a stupid woman sued the car company because she auto rolled up while her kid's head was sticking out the window. There was a large lawsuit over that and car makers stopped doing that for safety reasons.

How true this is, I never gained enough interest to find out.......

On another note, I'd love to, like you, get the metal gears for a replacement as I've been using my mirrors A LOT more now than I use to .
Old 09-30-13, 08:55 PM
SoCal_450h
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Actually, in the US, you can't have auto-roll up windows. Apparently (I was explained by my service advisor), that they stopped letting cars have that function because a stupid woman sued the car company because she auto rolled up while her kid's head was sticking out the window. There was a large lawsuit over that and car makers stopped doing that for safety reasons.

On another note, I'd love to, like you, get the metal gears for a replacement as I've been using my mirrors A LOT more now than I use to .
Thanks, Goku ... That's make sense
Old 10-01-13, 06:30 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually, in the US, you can't have auto-roll up windows. Apparently (I was explained by my service advisor), that they stopped letting cars have that function because a stupid woman sued the car company because she auto rolled up while her kid's head was sticking out the window.
The electronics and code to auto roll the windows up is already in our cars, just need to figure out a way to trigger it. Currently, you can auto close the roof and roll up the windows by using the metal key in the drivers door and turning the key to the lock side,(toward the front of the car) then holding it until the windows and roof close. I haven't looked at the schematic, but applying a constant signal to to circuit the lock tumbler triggers using the key may work. I tried holding down the lock button on the inside of the door and it didn't work, so it's tied to using the metal key in the cylinder. Would definitely be a nice feature to add to the remote.
Old 10-01-13, 09:19 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry my memory's off, i remembered incorrectly lol. the thread below talks about non-oem replacement plastic gears (not metal ones) as a fix. there is a link in that thread to a supplier (?) further down the thread who can manufacturer the plastic gears (?). have not double checked the links to confirm, but at least it gives you a starting point in your research. good luck!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ix-update.html

Last edited by Stormforge; 10-01-13 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-01-13, 09:42 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Man we need to stop stupid ppl from reproducing.
Old 10-01-13, 09:46 AM
C-SupraTT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned cars since 1979 and NOT ONCE have I lost my side mirrors in a parking lot.
Old 10-01-13, 10:59 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by worker
Man we need to stop stupid ppl from reproducing.
That we do worker.... LOL! They ruin the nice things that we COULD have....

Originally Posted by C-SupraTT
I've owned cars since 1979 and NOT ONCE have I lost my side mirrors in a parking lot.
I think people in the thread are referring to the gears snapping in our auto-folding mirrors, not the fact that we lose our mirrors/get them damaged through physical impact.
Old 10-03-13, 06:55 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

just got off the phone with Michael from AUS. who provides these kits... Cant wait to get mines and tackle this project on my IS-F. Thanks for sharing btw
Old 10-03-13, 08:38 PM
SoCal_450h
Lexus Test Driver

No Problem....its should work perfectly with IS...did you got the new version one?
Old 10-04-13, 02:36 PM
C-SupraTT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I meant is what's the purpose of folding side mirrors anyway? I've never had anyone ram in my mirrors before. If they parked so close that they damaged my side mirrors, then door dents would be more my concern. What's the point in moving your mirrors away by 5 inches??

That we do worker.... LOL! They ruin the nice things that we COULD have....

I think people in the thread are referring to the gears snapping in our auto-folding mirrors, not the fact that we lose our mirrors/get them damaged through physical impact.
Old 10-04-13, 03:27 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Because racecar.

I think it's just to look nice.
Old 10-04-13, 05:19 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No Problem....its should work perfectly with IS...did you got the new version one?
he didn't mentioned the version ....but he said all i need will be an easy install... i will only run one module... he explained that few that have installed this rather run 1 instead of 2 one per each door...

basically tapping into the module by running connections to the driver side...lets see how it goes

Quick Reply: Auto Folding Mirrors on GS