GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

buying a gs question please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-13, 07:45 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by lex-ative
Nothing wrong with the 06....at least not with the 430s. 300 it seems is another issue.....

For 18K you should be able to pick up a GS430 instead of the 300. Better engine. 18K is way too much for a 300

And with 430 you don't have to really worry about the mileage as much. I'm not familiar with the 300's but there seem to be a lot of happy owners with high mile 430's which were trouble free.

But try to pick up a 07 or higher if you want the updated Navi and 08 if you want the updated interior and exterior (different steering wheel design, shifter design, bumper, etc).

If that really doesn't matter to you, try to get an 06 at a better price. You should be able to get a 300 in the 15's and a 430 in the 17's
I totally agree with ya there.... The recalls that the 350 owners get is cray cray!

My 430 has had zero recalls, no problems than the obvious..... Like the posted above me has said, most you pay for is MAINTANENCE on timing belt service. I do however disagree, as I'm sure the timing chain needs to be changed a bit after the timing belt intervals.... I'm also pretty sure the timing chain costs more than timing chain in parts and labor.

The 3UZ is one of Lexus/Toyota's legendary v8's (similar to the VQ35DE from Nissan) or the 2jz yota makes.

As IXI and a few other members said, technology-wise, if that's your thing, stick with the newer year GS's for updated nav and etc.
Old 09-17-13, 02:29 AM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If I were you OP, I'd buy this guy's GS430 for 16.5k.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-it-worth.html
Old 09-17-13, 08:31 AM
M K S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Simmsled
Honestly, as long as the brakes are in good shape and the maintenance has been done... the 06 is a good deal.
IMHO, the only drawback is that it isn't as quick as any of the other GSs.

I'm just one saying yay not nay, but I just wanted to make my opinion known.
Totally disagree with you on this one. $19k for a GS300 w/ 96k miles is rediculously overpriced and is FAR from a good deal. You could get a much better GS (430 OR 350) with less miles for less money! The 300 feels like a total dog compared to the 350 & the 430.

Another thing you have to consider is resale. You are instantly going to be upside down on this car. A member was posting that he's trying to sell his '06 GS430 w/ less miles and all Carmax was willing to give him was $13k.

Do your research man, this car is not worth that price tag regardless of the condition.
Old 09-17-13, 08:37 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by M K S
Another thing you have to consider is resale. You are instantly going to be upside down on this car. A member was posting that he's trying to sell his '06 GS430 w/ less miles and all Carmax was willing to give him was $13k.
well keep in mind, a dealer isnt going to pay you blue book value for the car. they will try and go as low as they can in order to increase profit.
Old 09-17-13, 05:51 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by M K S
Totally disagree with you on this one. $19k for a GS300 w/ 96k miles is rediculously overpriced and is FAR from a good deal. You could get a much better GS (430 OR 350) with less miles for less money! The 300 feels like a total dog compared to the 350 & the 430.

Do your research man, this car is not worth that price tag regardless of the condition.
Less miles, less money for a GS350? Not where I live. That 300 would still be between 18 and 20k at a dealer in Indianapolis if it has AWD.

The 300 does feel like a dog in acceleration compared to a 350 or a 430, but 95% of the time it doesn't matter. Do I wish I had that 'extra' during that 5%? Hell yeah. I could have, and have had, about any car I want. I didn't buy the GS300 because it was the fastest car. I bought it because it gives up no luxury to any other GS in touch and feel. The GS300 is a considerably lighter car and has the best handling balance of ANY 3GS.

The GS300 is a good & solid car.
If faster acceleration = better car, then the GS300 is not for you.
Old 09-19-13, 03:43 PM
lexu
Driver School Candidate

Default another update and some more questions thanks

hi all,
I have made no moves at the moment still looking at my options. one thing about the 430 is the miles per gallon. i dont want to get totally beat at the tank, i use to drive a 99 gs400 my most loved car but i use to drive a lot and it became a factor. but his gs430 in the link provided sounds nice, would be a consideration but i dont have the Cash on hand to cover it. If i were to buy the GS300 from the dealer i would finance a little less then half from lexus.

i do have good credit and lexus did call me back saying they would make the numbers work to make me happy but its priced at 17999 so how much will they really do. they said to come in and they will make me happy, who knows maybe they will drop the price, but at what point am i getting a reasonable offer? is 17,000 fair? KBB has it at 18,400 from a dealer and 15500-16000 private.

I havent seen any this clean looking around but that carbon buildup does sound like a problem, is that something lexus would honor for me if i buy it now??

Thanks for all the input really helpful
Old 09-19-13, 06:09 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 752 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by lexu
hi all,
I have made no moves at the moment still looking at my options. one thing about the 430 is the miles per gallon. i dont want to get totally beat at the tank, i use to drive a 99 gs400 my most loved car but i use to drive a lot and it became a factor. but his gs430 in the link provided sounds nice, would be a consideration but i dont have the Cash on hand to cover it. If i were to buy the GS300 from the dealer i would finance a little less then half from lexus.

i do have good credit and lexus did call me back saying they would make the numbers work to make me happy but its priced at 17999 so how much will they really do. they said to come in and they will make me happy, who knows maybe they will drop the price, but at what point am i getting a reasonable offer? is 17,000 fair? KBB has it at 18,400 from a dealer and 15500-16000 private.

I havent seen any this clean looking around but that carbon buildup does sound like a problem, is that something lexus would honor for me if i buy it now??

Thanks for all the input really helpful
There are a ton of other better deals out there, this is the time used car prices drop. I wouldn't pay no more then 13K for that car
Old 09-19-13, 06:22 PM
mxbuch
Driver School Candidate

Hi all
I went to the jm lexus and they had a very nice 2006 gs300 fully loaded all the options Levinson system navi everything. interior and exterior perfect and it has 96,000 miles on it they're asking 18 from the dealership and I don't know how I feel about spending that much money on a car with 96,000 miles its red on black really nice and I know its lexus so it should hold value but I'm not sure i wanna spend that much money on a car with that many miles. Id be putting about half down. any opinions?
I purchased my 2006 in 2009 with 38k miles I love the car.It now has 142k did have engine rough idling problem Lexus rebuilt engine and gave 9 year unlimited warranty I really want to buy a 2013 GS 350 but I will wait 3 years when the car will depreciate 22k
Old 09-19-13, 06:30 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 752 Likes on 648 Posts

You also have to understand "dealership clean" Theyll take an an average car. They will call a pdr guy to pull out all the dents and dings ($2-300) car may have a scuff or two so they will bring in a guy to do touch up work, next they usually throw away the car mats because those show wear, slap on a set of generic tires, then it gets set off to the detailers those guys with compound, polish, wax , and shampoo the carpets. Sometimes if their good they will stripe the carpets to make it look brand new.

All the while they paid $10-11 grand for that car, and dropped maybe $1-2grand in it.
Old 09-19-13, 08:56 PM
lexu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
There are a ton of other better deals out there, this is the time used car prices drop. I wouldn't pay no more then 13K for that car
I understand but I really havent found one that nice, and I haven't found anything for 13k. that particular gs was fully upgraded, levinson system, navi, awd, etc. I'm in broward gonna check a few spots tomorrow and see what I find. And if what every one is saying is true I shouldn't have a problem finding one. But I guess the dealer will be a last resort.
Old 09-19-13, 09:44 PM
lexu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mxbuch
I purchased my 2006 in 2009 with 38k miles I love the car.It now has 142k did have engine rough idling problem Lexus rebuilt engine and gave 9 year unlimited warranty I really want to buy a 2013 GS 350 but I will wait 3 years when the car will depreciate 22k
Would they still honor that recall at 96k miles? i dont see this recall on clublexus.com or cars.com i have herd of it causes some sort of carbon build up or something but i thought that was an is250 problem. that would make me feel a ton better tho ill have to ask. but if it does exist and i bring it up will they do the recall then tack another grand on it or something. 9 year warranty that's great.
Old 09-19-13, 11:01 PM
XxGoKoUxX

It sounds great out in perspective, but when it comes down to your car giving you downtime, you won't be happy.... Stick with the consensus of advice and just go with a 350/430. Steer clear of the 300, especially AWD, as you're in FL friend, you don't need it .
Old 09-21-13, 10:43 AM
lex-ative
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi all,
I have made no moves at the moment still looking at my options. one thing about the 430 is the miles per gallon. i dont want to get totally beat at the tank, i use to drive a 99 gs400 my most loved car but i use to drive a lot and it became a factor. but his gs430 in the link provided sounds nice, would be a consideration but i dont have the Cash on hand to cover it.
MPG is a concern with the 430. However, it depends on what you are used to. I used to drive a 2002 Lexus IS300 and my 430 gets better mpg than it, at least in my perspective. (Granted, the IS300 was a stick shift....so...I definitely drove it more 'spirited'.). I get on average 18mpg in the city, stop and go driving. And I average 21-22 on the hwy. IF I take a road trip with miles on interstate driving exclusively, I can squeeze out up to 26 MPG easily and may even bump up to 28 for a while.

I think the 300 will give you a bit better mileage, but I don't think the difference will be that much that it will really make that big of a difference to your wallet. It will still require premium IIRC (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and if you get the AWD, well... there goes the gas mileage you thought you saved by getting the 300 instead of the 430....
Old 09-21-13, 02:59 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I understand but I really havent found one that nice, and I haven't found anything for 13k. that particular gs was fully upgraded, levinson system, navi, awd, etc. I'm in broward gonna check a few spots tomorrow and see what I find. And if what every one is saying is true I shouldn't have a problem finding one. But I guess the dealer will be a last resort.
There are better deals out there but you aren't going to find a lower rate for a fully loaded AWD GS from a Lexus dealership. Most major dealers are going to request 17 - 20 for an AWD GS, the only way you are going to get a lower price is to purchase it from a smaller dealership or private seller. I have a 300 and the carbon buildup doesn't seem like a big issue since Lexus will rebuild the engine.

The 350 isn't problem free, check out the following link which talks about a clattering noise problem with that engine.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ine-start.html

It really comes down to how much your willing to spend and what you need. I would have to agree, since your in CA you may not want to spend the extra 2-3k on an AWD car. If you can live without ML and AWD then you can find some low mileage 350's for 20k from a Lexus dealership.

One thing you may want to consider is the 90k maintenance which is around 1500 - 2500 depending on what you get done. If this was already performed then its not a terrible deal. On the other hand I wouldn't spend 18k and then spend another 2k on maintenance. Get the VIN and check the service records on Lexus.com. If the work was done at a Lexus dealership it will be listed online.

If it makes you feel any better I purchased my AWD fully loaded 06 GS300 about 6 months ago for 20k with 50k miles. It came with a three year 30k mile bumper to bumper warranty. Before anyone starts saying I paid to much please send me the link of another fully loaded AWD GS for under 20k from a Lexus dealership with 50k miles and a 3 year warranty. The same dealership sold it brand new in 2006 and all the maintenance was performed at that location. Therefore I paid more for low miles, features, and a warranty.

I love the car and have no buyer remorse but I will probably trade it in for a LS460 or ISF within the next 1-2 years. I just haven't decided if I want speed or a bigger car but overall I am happy with my first Lexus.
Old 09-21-13, 05:38 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by lex-ative
MPG is a concern with the 430. However, it depends on what you are used to. I used to drive a 2002 Lexus IS300 and my 430 gets better mpg than it, at least in my perspective. (Granted, the IS300 was a stick shift....so...I definitely drove it more 'spirited'.). I get on average 18mpg in the city, stop and go driving. And I average 21-22 on the hwy. IF I take a road trip with miles on interstate driving exclusively, I can squeeze out up to 26 MPG easily and may even bump up to 28 for a while.

I think the 300 will give you a bit better mileage, but I don't think the difference will be that much that it will really make that big of a difference to your wallet. It will still require premium IIRC (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and if you get the AWD, well... there goes the gas mileage you thought you saved by getting the 300 instead of the 430....
Comparing the 2jz and your 3uz.... It is not a perspective, it's TRUE, the 2006 430 has a 6-sp transmission for smoother transition, and I believe the 6th gear is made for fuel economics. The 430 well in doubt blew my mind when I was hitting 25-26mpgs.... People still don't believe that my v8 Lexus gets that many miles to the gallon .

Originally Posted by YaMomma
There are better deals out there but you aren't going to find a lower rate for a fully loaded AWD GS from a Lexus dealership. Most major dealers are going to request 17 - 20 for an AWD GS, the only way you are going to get a lower price is to purchase it from a smaller dealership or private seller. I have a 300 and the carbon buildup doesn't seem like a big issue since Lexus will rebuild the engine.

The 350 isn't problem free, check out the following link which talks about a clattering noise problem with that engine.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ine-start.html

It really comes down to how much your willing to spend and what you need. I would have to agree, since your in CA you may not want to spend the extra 2-3k on an AWD car. If you can live without ML and AWD then you can find some low mileage 350's for 20k from a Lexus dealership.

One thing you may want to consider is the 90k maintenance which is around 1500 - 2500 depending on what you get done. If this was already performed then its not a terrible deal. On the other hand I wouldn't spend 18k and then spend another 2k on maintenance. Get the VIN and check the service records on Lexus.com. If the work was done at a Lexus dealership it will be listed online.

If it makes you feel any better I purchased my AWD fully loaded 06 GS300 about 6 months ago for 20k with 50k miles. It came with a three year 30k mile bumper to bumper warranty. Before anyone starts saying I paid to much please send me the link of another fully loaded AWD GS for under 20k from a Lexus dealership with 50k miles and a 3 year warranty. The same dealership sold it brand new in 2006 and all the maintenance was performed at that location. Therefore I paid more for low miles, features, and a warranty.

I love the car and have no buyer remorse but I will probably trade it in for a LS460 or ISF within the next 1-2 years. I just haven't decided if I want speed or a bigger car but overall I am happy with my first Lexus.
Completely agreed on the Lexus dealership part. The money is really in that bumper to bumper extended warranty. It's like icing on a cake..... Lexus is the ONLY brand I would trust when they say BUMPER to BUMPER warranty. I've heard and witnessed horror stories w/ BMW & MB, can't say much for Audi though, because I've never touched one.

Quick Reply: buying a gs question please help