GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Front damage etc on Car advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-13, 05:52 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 750 Likes on 646 Posts

lol thats a tiny dent and a scratch on the bumper. Def do not replace the fender and bumper, you will kill its resale over something so small.

You can look in the phone book or google mobile paint touch up. Theyll come out sand it down and fix the damage on the spot. PDbrady may have a disagree But lots of used car dealers use them and the difference isnt that big compared to a decent shop repair. Plus may only cost you $300, if you cant find one there you can try big car auction or like carmax theres usually someone there and most of the time their subcontracted. So dont feel bad asking for their help as they may need all the business they can find.
Old 09-01-13, 10:07 PM
pdbrady
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
lol thats a tiny dent and a scratch on the bumper. Def do not replace the fender and bumper, you will kill its resale over something so small.

You can look in the phone book or google mobile paint touch up. Theyll come out sand it down and fix the damage on the spot. PDbrady may have a disagree But lots of used car dealers use them and the difference isnt that big compared to a decent shop repair. Plus may only cost you $300, if you cant find one there you can try big car auction or like carmax theres usually someone there and most of the time their subcontracted. So dont feel bad asking for their help as they may need all the business they can find.
You're right, I absolutely disagree. Mobile spot jobs are a joke, and I will stand by that 100%. There's a reason used car lots use them.....they are cheap and quick, and they only need it to last long enough to get off the lot. If you had any idea how many spot jobs I've had to fix you would understand where I'm coming from. Without elaborating, if you feel like that's your way to go, just remember....you get what you pay for, whether it be the next day, or 6 months to a year later.

With all that said, it's hard to see a whole lot from the pictures- and there's nothing showing the roof- but that looks extremely minor. A couple hours repair on each panel, no need for blend. Again, it's hard to see everything in your pictures, that's why I'd be curious to see the estimate, and what is being done to the roof as well. That price sure sounds like there are parts being replaced. Otherwise it seems pretty stout.

edit..........I looked back and you said the burn through was on the driver's side, that damage was on the passenger. So it sounds like the whole front end is getting painted, along with the roof. That drastically changes things. I'd just have to see the estimate. If you want to pm me and get an email address to send a copy to, I'd be willing to do that. Otherwise, it's just a crapshoot as to what all is accounting for $3K+.

Last edited by pdbrady; 09-01-13 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-03-13, 03:02 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With that little damage...you are definitely being ripped off by the dealer for $3100. I'd suggest a complete front end respray with blends into both front doors. Also ensure all the trims, lights, bumper is removed when doing this, as well as using good quality paint. It's a max 1500-2000 job, and that's on the very high end in my opinion. Shop around like others said, look at their work if possible and also recommendations on a quick google search if you can.

Best of luck!
Old 09-03-13, 05:23 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by baddis es
With that little damage...you are definitely being ripped off by the dealer for $3100. I'd suggest a complete front end respray with blends into both front doors. Also ensure all the trims, lights, bumper is removed when doing this, as well as using good quality paint. It's a max 1500-2000 job, and that's on the very high end in my opinion. Shop around like others said, look at their work if possible and also recommendations on a quick google search if you can.

Best of luck!
Agree with baddis es. As we speak, my ride is at the body shop having a "refresh" done. Having tons of rocks chips on the hood and both fenders repaired, as well as having the bumper cleaned up to remove scrapes and those nasty license plate holes. Coming in at just short of $1700. No new parts needed. Once it's done, it is straight to get the invisible bra. Good luck!
Old 09-03-13, 06:11 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 750 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by moose66
Agree with baddis es. As we speak, my ride is at the body shop having a "refresh" done. Having tons of rocks chips on the hood and both fenders repaired, as well as having the bumper cleaned up to remove scrapes and those nasty license plate holes. Coming in at just short of $1700. No new parts needed. Once it's done, it is straight to get the invisible bra. Good luck!
I wouldnt install a invisible bra on a repainted vehicle, youll have a huge chance of peeling your paint job when you go to remove the bra.
Old 09-03-13, 06:37 PM
pdbrady
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
I wouldnt install a invisible bra on a repainted vehicle, youll have a huge chance of peeling your paint job when you go to remove the bra.
Though the paint may be dry, it's not fully cured. This could take weeks. That turns into a really big mess when you seal it off with a sheet of plastic. That's the same reason you don't want to run out and spread wax all over it as well. Wait several weeks.
Old 09-04-13, 04:25 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pdbrady
Though the paint may be dry, it's not fully cured. This could take weeks. That turns into a really big mess when you seal it off with a sheet of plastic. That's the same reason you don't want to run out and spread wax all over it as well. Wait several weeks.
Big ups for the heads up. I am a lot smarter than I appear! How about I save the invisi bra for the new ride! LOL. Thanks for the smelling salts moment!