GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Squeeling brakes only on V8's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-14, 08:58 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Yup it's to tell you that you need your pads changed.

The rear pads take almost FOREVER to go out before the fronts do. I'm at about half my pad life left in the fronts and my rears still have life on them . I'd like to change'em out to slotted+drilled soon lol.
why change something that's hardly use? Even if u improve it, it's still hardly get use.

Our front pad is also bigger just because it get use more.
Old 02-10-14, 09:24 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by worker
why change something that's hardly use? Even if u improve it, it's still hardly get use.

Our front pad is also bigger just because it get use more.
Of course they don't, the rears wouldn't be for performance reasons, they're more for my OCD needs. I need the fronts and rears to match, otherwise it looks funny. hahaha!
Old 02-10-14, 12:05 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mother nature been building animals with front and back legs different. It looks fine to me.

Big big disk brake in the front. hahaha

This would look funny... see same size. You don't know which is the front.

See that guy looking confuse not sure if it's the front or the back. LOL
Old 02-13-14, 07:03 PM
LexLeezard
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, looks great and probably lots of fun, but -- where's the snow and the ice and the darkness? Like what we take for granted and deal with just fine, as normal, up here in Canuckland? And where is the snow shovel and -50C windshield washer antifreeze? Eh?
Old 05-26-14, 10:55 AM
mlooook
Rookie

Having the same issue

07 gs430
Old 05-26-14, 11:34 AM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

08 GS350 here, my brakes squeal same as most reported here, only in reverse and only after the car has sat over night. Once I get somewhere and have applied the brake heavily in the forward direction it goes away. My guess has always been the brake pads themselves. I'm guessing they're metallic pads. When I get around to changing them, I'm going to try ceramic, I'm thinking the squeal will go away.

I will say that I noticed my rotors were heavily rusted after only sitting 13 hours over night, I thought that was strange, so maybe I'm wrong and it's the rotors. Ceramic pads will be my first change since that's a cheaper fix.
Old 05-26-14, 06:10 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuleaze
08 GS350 here, my brakes squeal same as most reported here, only in reverse and only after the car has sat over night. Once I get somewhere and have applied the brake heavily in the forward direction it goes away. My guess has always been the brake pads themselves. I'm guessing they're metallic pads. When I get around to changing them, I'm going to try ceramic, I'm thinking the squeal will go away.

I will say that I noticed my rotors were heavily rusted after only sitting 13 hours over night, I thought that was strange, so maybe I'm wrong and it's the rotors. Ceramic pads will be my first change since that's a cheaper fix.
If you have enough pad left I would get the new OEM anti-squeal shims they came out with to correct the squealing to replace the current ones you have on. I replaced my OEM pads with the Ceramic Akebono pads thinking it would get rid of the noise and sadly I'm still getting the squealing like you going in reverse.
Old 05-30-14, 11:59 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Thanks, I'll inquire about them once I need to change the pads... Thanks for the heads up...
Old 05-31-14, 02:47 PM
TexGS450
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 08 GS350 and My brakes only seem to squeak when I'm traveling at highway speeds (60-70 mph) and tap them to slow down. I'm not sure if is the driver side front or rear. I've had all brake pads replaced and rotors resurfaced
Old 09-19-14, 08:56 PM
LexLeezard
Driver School Candidate

Dear all -- sorry, just tried to post a reply / update, but it vanished -- don't know why. Anyway, quick summary: today, just had the ECB discs and Okebono pads PULLED off our fantastic 2008 GS460 after a year of daily use, and had full OEM put back in place. Attached photo shows original front left disc (turned and resurfaced) plus new OEM pads under caliper cover being installed.

Reason for doing this: the performance discs and pads caused too much noise and vibration. Don't get me wrong -- they were EXCELLENT in terms of performance in dry and wet, SUPERB stopping power, durability, and EXCELLENT wear resistance. No argument there -- highly recommended. But, my wife said she'd rather live right next to the main runway at the airport because it would be quieter there. Unfortunately, I tend to agree.

So, as of today, we are back to OEM all-'round. CAVEAT: we love our 2008 GS460, and that opinion won't change any time soon. It is a WONDERFUL luxury performance car -- best we have ever owned! HOWEVER -- the excellent quality aftermarket performance brakes and pads TAKE AWAY from the luxury / quiet / overall good performance of STOCK / OEM.

As I said, don't get me wrong here: the ECB discs and Okebono pads are FANTASTIC when it comes to full-on, actual performance. I don't think anything could outperform them, and I'd recommend them to anyone for that reason. BUT -- IMHO -- they are too HARSH for the luxury side of the Lexus. That's the reason for going back to OEM. Other folks might be VERY happy to stay with the aftermarket increase in performance results even with a trade-off of more vibration and noise. Could just be a matter of taste.

Bottom line -- we were happy to try out the very high quality performance option for a year, but are glad to be back to OEM. Best wishes to everyone -- Cheers / LexLeezard
Attached Thumbnails Squeeling brakes only on V8's?-img_2153.jpg  
Old 09-28-14, 08:24 PM
saclexus
Driver School Candidate

2006 gs430 owner

Had squeaking brakes ever since I bought my car in 2012. After foolishly replacing the front oem rotors and oem brakes pads twice within 2 months, I decided to switch the front oem brake pads to akebono act pads (part #act1118) as advised on this current forum. After switching to the akebonos, there is absolutely no squeaking. Thanks for the advice from the members of this forum. It was pretty embarrassing pulling up to each stoplight with squeaking brakes
Old 09-29-14, 02:31 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLeezard
Bottom line -- we were happy to try out the very high quality performance option for a year, but are glad to be back to OEM. Best wishes to everyone -- Cheers / LexLeezard
I recently had my rotors and pads replaced with OEM as well and couldn't be happier. Cheers to many more noise-free miles!
Old 09-29-14, 04:16 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Never had this problem with my 460
Old 09-29-14, 07:07 PM
movaaa55
Driver School Candidate

Default Someone please help me!

I recently bought a 2007 GS350, it has 106k miles and is in very good condition. The only problem is that the brakes squeal ALL of the time. Forward and reverse, and usually in the last 25-0mph braking done with moderate to more heavy braking, but sometimes quiets up when I lightly let go. No I know you're thinking it may be the pads (EBC- Green stuff) but they were recently changed and have 90% on them. The rotors seem to be in good shape too and I already tried cleaning them with brake cleaner, but that was only a temporary fix. The car also feels like it's braking is misaligned, (moderate-heavy pressure makes the brakes bite and release in a consistent violent manner). Enough to make the car move forward and brake repetitively, even causing the shifter to move forward and back. All of this while producing the loudest squeal you can imagine. EVERY TIME.

Could this be warped rotors?
or glazing?

What is the recommended procedure to fix these issues?

I originally thought it was my back brakes producing this sound so I swapped out with OEM rotors and HAWK- HPS pads.

If I need to replaced the rotors I'm most likely going to go with cryo treated/ slotted ones. Unless anyone has other suggestions?

And for pads replacement, if needed, what would you all recommend for a city performance setup? (low brake dust, excellent bite/ stopping power)

PM me direct answers if you can, and thank you for reading.