GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Finally fixing the little issues with the 430..

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-12, 10:04 AM
06ausiecar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally fixing the little issues with the 430..

hi y'all,

I purchased my 06 GS430 almost a year ago. It's time to finally tighten her up I guess. Right off the bat I replaced a 02 sensor from it being put in improperly, the tie rods were loose and there was missing hard ware from both the front and rear brakes (from not being put back to stock either right or just lazy) and warn f sport sway bar bushings (completely silent now BTW)... I took it for a 1000 mile trip a week after I bought it too.. My fault though for evidently not looking over the car well enough and kind of rushing into things. The past is the past. Now there are three things that are bothering me.

1) the rear view mirror only says W or SW. I tried both ways on redoing it according to the manual and both had no results. I even unplugged it and plugged it back in after a couple of minutes. Still nothing. The dimming features still works how ever and there is no lines through it. I am hoping that the previous owner did not mess it up when they had a radar mirror on. (didn't notice this when purchased but 2 days later)

2) The driver side mirror. It goes left and right but not up and down. Does this mean the gear is stripped? Is there a way to try to reprogram them? Happened some time in my ownership.

3) I need a wood piece for the center consol. Any where decent to look? I've looked at car-part.com without any luck and the classifies but seem to only find old post. There is a whole in mine from where the previous owner drilled and put a **** for a aftermarket sub.

I fixed most dash rattles. I had both side dash speakers rattling and the center display and vent had a nasty rattle due to the previous owner taking it out and just the nature of a 3gs. The ML middle speaker is next on the list and the rear dash just got one in it. I understand I'll never get all them.

Sorry about the long post and I AM NOT trying to bash on the previous owner even though the comments/statements might seem so. At the end of the day it's my problem and that is who I blame. I just want to love my lexus again because as of now I just want it gone. (Mechanically engine/tranny and so forth are perfect and I mean perfect. Interior wise minus the wood its spotless and leather looks better than some with half the miles I do). Might be time to move to the next car... Thanks in advance for any help or comments.
Old 02-29-12, 10:07 AM
06ausiecar
Driver

Oh and to all you who are thinking about the F SPORT carpets I would most likely just buy the regular ones. I am a clean person who cleans his car once a week and they are wearing kind of fast. They are cheaper how ever then regular "LEXUS" stock carpet mats and they are only my winter set so I am not complaining just warning people. Only have 3k miles on them at most.
Old 02-29-12, 12:11 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry man, I feel bad and they charged me to install at that back on too. Figure I was working for them at the time they would have helped me out and I was just another customer.

(2)The side mirror is normal and has been an issue with the 3gen GS. I had it happen a few times and found if I folded the mirror in and back out it worked fine. I was the only one driving it so never had to change the mirror position and I turned off the tilt down feature when it was put in reverse.

(1)The rear view mirror is new not the same mirror with the radar in it. That sold to another member. That was permanent. Your local Lexus dealer should be able to reset it as a complimentary service for you. They may not have calibrated it when it was installed if it needed to be.

I wish you had called me as I could have had the dealer take care of these things or at least paid for the parts and sent them to you. Feel bad you had to do all of this.

How are or did the Lexus mats that were in the car hold up?

Hopefully your enjoying the car now.
Old 02-29-12, 06:03 PM
06ausiecar
Driver

The side mirror has happened since I've owned it. The mirrors get folded in everyday at work since it sits in a parking lot. The passionate mats are holding up great. And I mean great. Great quality even with daily use. The f sport mats not so
Much. But things happen. I'll have to call my local dealership and see what they say about the rear view mirror too. She is still super clean and I plastidipped the headlight and grille surrounds and they are holding up great! I was going to buy coilovers and vossens for it but I just bought a house and all the car projects went to the back burner. I am a baller on a big budget lol I was afraid That some of my comments came off like I was bashing on you but I didn't mean too. Just I guess sometimes I just come off hard to deal with.
Old 02-29-12, 07:30 PM
tmv22
Driver

please tell us how you fixed the rattle yourself
Old 02-29-12, 07:48 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

The side view mirror sounds like the acutator that I got replaced. Where it will only go up and down and sometimes and then side to side a little.
Old 02-29-12, 07:57 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nah its cool...people know me around here and how I take care of things. Last thing I would do is half @ss anything that attaches my name. It was technically a dealer car I just happened to be helping my friend out at the time but I still would have made sure they stood behind the car.

Sad thing is the car was just at the Lexus dealer for a complete check up and they missed all of these things that you listed. I had mentioned the noise and they said it was the sway bars and I think I mentioned that to you also.

baller on a budget lol...wait until your married and have kids I went from an Audi & Lexus to both cars being Honda But I would do it all over again for my kids.

Vossen...get Mike to sponsor you. Your probably not that far from him either and Im sure they would love a MRM GS to add to the collection of fine cars.

Post some pics already!!
Old 03-01-12, 11:32 AM
06ausiecar
Driver

Haha dash rattle were actually easy and a funny fix. I took black felt and basically stuffed it everywhere. The side ml dash speakers I tightened. They werent loose but weren't tight if that makes sense. I then put black felt around anywhere the dash touched anything that was under the speaker covers. Then I put felt Inbetween the center air vent and screen. That was my biggest rattle. So far 2 or 3 weeks down and still quiet. I have seen people use the foam insulation stuff and that seems more of a "professional" fix that I'll try when I have more time and money.

I am not fond of at lease the two Lexus dealerships by me they are terrible and I mean terrible. The BMW store in Cincinnati is the only dealership that was awesome! Almost bought a BMW enstead. They might put the car on a lift to say it passed. Most likely they saw good paint, clean interior and rode it around the lot an said its perfect.

Btw sorry about grammar ect. The iPhone is failing hardcore today.
Old 04-19-12, 01:09 AM
06ausiecar
Driver

Just put toyo tires on it and have 600 miles on them and absolutely love them. It seemed like a totally different car now. Also just got some 4300k bulbs from the retrofitsource and love them too! No more 6k's! Much brighter and better to look out the window. Just a little stupid update lol still haven't made it to Lexus about the rear view. Maybe Friday if life let's me.
Old 04-27-12, 04:46 PM
Duonghtx
Driver School Candidate

I don't miss my 430 at all, it had many minor issues that was getting annoying. 08+ is the way to go.
Old 04-30-12, 06:37 PM
06ausiecar
Driver

If I do sell the GS I won't be getting into another one. Most likely upgrade to a LS or save until I can get a isf. Even though a gs460 would be sweet! But who knows only time will tell.