GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Major fail with Nav mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-11, 02:44 PM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Major fail with Nav mod

I just finished up the Nav mod and it's not working the way it's supposed to. When I flip the switch while driving, the icons are all still grayed out. After looking at the wiring diagram for the '07 GS350, there is a major contradiction between the tutorial and the diagram. Take a look:

EyeKutr wrote:

For 07+ GS….HERE IS THE WIRE MOD FOR NAV

you cut the white with silver dots wire (middle harness) and purple wire (driver side harness) then you use a switch to connect the purple wire coming from the deep side of the dash (not radio) to the white with silver spots (going away from the radio (to the nav). then this switch is on all the time except to input addresses, what that does is it allows the purple VSS signal to go to the nav See diagrams and pics (thanks to quezacotl for dgm)

And here is the diagram that I followed:

EyeKutr says to use the white w/silver spots coming out of the radio and the diagram says to use the white w/silver spots coming out of the wireloom. Which is the right wire? Also, I grounded the yellow wire coming out of the radio and DVD's play without the parking brake on,but as soon as I start driving, the picture goes away and I only have the sound of the DVD. Does this mean I don't have a good ground?
Old 07-04-11, 07:51 AM
Harlemboi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No.. The problem is u still need the switch hooked up for the video to play while driving..I did the same mod to my car wit no problems
Old 07-04-11, 07:59 AM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Actually, the switch has nothing to do with DVD playback when driving. I figured out that I picked a bad spot to ground the yellow wire, and once I got a good ground, it works perfect now.
Old 07-04-11, 09:27 AM
Harlemboi
Driver

Oh so I probably got a bad ground too cuz the DVD plays without the ebrake until I drive off then the video goes away. But then when I hit the switch it works good... I guess I gotta pull the head unit out and find a better ground
Old 07-04-11, 10:15 AM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Harlemboi
Oh so I probably got a bad ground too cuz the DVD plays without the ebrake until I drive off then the video goes away. But then when I hit the switch it works good... I guess I gotta pull the head unit out and find a better ground
Something doesn't sound right. I'm pretty sure the switch should have absolutely nothing to do with the DVD playback. I can suggest a good grounding point though. I'm not sure if this spot is on every Nav unit, but when you pull the unit out, there is a black box on top of the unit with a blue wire going to it. The black box is screwed to the top of the unit,and if you remove the screw right above the harness that has the yellow wire that needs to be grounded, you can ground it on the screw.
Old 07-04-11, 02:58 PM
ptan1968us
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP. How about cut and grounded all 3 wires # 14 , 16 , 23 to your good suggested grounding point? Did you try that? Forget the switch. If the DVD still plays while driving then this is all it takes to hack the Nav.

Note:

Wires # 14 & 16 are both speed sensor.
Wire # 23 is parking brake.
Old 07-04-11, 03:21 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I heard the new map update fix all these mods. could someone confirm?
Old 07-04-11, 03:28 PM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ptan1968us
OP. How about cut and grounded all 3 wires # 14 , 16 , 23 to your good suggested grounding point? Did you try that? Forget the switch. If the DVD still plays while driving then this is all it takes to hack the Nav.

Note:

Wires # 14 & 16 are both speed sensor.
Wire # 23 is parking brake.
I got it sorted out:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...icky-this.html
Old 07-04-11, 06:00 PM
ptan1968us
Driver

Originally Posted by worker
I heard the new map update fix all these mods. could someone confirm?
Originally Posted by LenniePaz
Based on the diagram above. I just did myself a favor about an hour ago this evening and i have an affirmative confirmation. I cut and grounded all 3 wires # 14 , 16 & 23 which are purple, white w /silver dots and yellow and there is no need to add the switch period.

The result is as i expected: DVD is still playing while i was driving around my block. This was done on my '07 GS 450h and I'll do the same for the wife's '08 GS 460 sooner. For safety reason, i taped up the other end wires cut with the wireloom.

Now, i just need to press either map or disc button or so on to switch back and forth between the 2 screens Nav or DVD ... etc ...

Have fun, CL.
Old 07-04-11, 06:06 PM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Based on the diagram above. I just did myself a favor about an hour ago this evening and i have an affirmative confirmation. I cut and grounded all 3 wires # 14 , 16 & 23 which are purple, white w /silver dots and yellow and there is no need to add the switch period.

The result is as i expected: DVD is still playing while i was driving around my block. This was done on my '07 GS 450h and I'll do the same for the wife's '08 GS 460 sooner. For safety reason, i taped up the other end wires cut with the wireloom.

Now, i just need to press either map or disc button or so on to switch back and forth between the 2 screens Nav or DVD ... etc ...

Have fun, CL.

Did you do the mod just for DVD playback while driving? If so, you only needed to ground the yellow wire. If you did the mod for DVD playback and access to the Nav buttons while driving, your navigation will be screwed up without a switch.
Old 07-04-11, 07:11 PM
ptan1968us
Driver

/\ I don't see how the NAV will screw up after the DVD mod while driving. In fact i can enter the address search and change other normal functions like the car in park. This is impossible before if i did not ground all those wires.
Old 07-04-11, 07:14 PM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

/\ I don't see how the NAV will screw up after the DVD mod while driving. In fact i can enter the address search and change other normal functions like the car in park. This is impossible before if i did not ground all those wires.
Your navigation will not be accurate, trust me.Here is a quote from the tutorial:

So if you cut the purple wire, keypad for dialing is enabled, you can input addresses but your nav system loses its VSS (Nav thinks car is stopped, allows address entry, but makes map scrolling choppy and screws up turn by turn guidance). So on a car with NAV, you cant simply cut the purple VSS wire, you have to re-route the VSS signal to the nav unit. You need to add a switch so you can temporarily disrupt the signal to nav unit so you can enter an address and re-complete the circuit by flipping the switch back.

Last edited by LenniePaz; 07-04-11 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-04-11, 07:47 PM
ptan1968us
Driver

/\ It all makes sense. We'll see. I need to drive the car more to see how the Nav. behave. Toyota might have different config. I have an after market Pioneer Avic Z1 and i did this VSS and parking brake mod w/o any problems referring to the tutorial above.
Old 07-05-11, 07:25 AM
Harlemboi
Driver

Did u do the mod to the factory nav or to the pioneer head unit? if u did that to the factory nav then thats not gonna work!!