GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Oil Change - Oil not draining

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-10, 07:24 AM
yasu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change - Oil not draining

I'm puzzled by this one...

Yesterday I went to do an oil and filter change on my '06 GS300. I first unscrewed the oil filter cover and expected about 6 quartz of oil to come gushing out into the drain pan but only about a pint came out. So I thought that the filter cover had to be back in place and I'd have to remove the drain plug and attach the special plastic drain fitting to push open the check valve and get the oil to flow out. I did that but nothing came out.

I checked the oil level and the dipstick showed the engine oil level was full so I decided to drive the car for 4 miles and get the oil flowing back through the system and the oil filter. I removed the drain plug, attached the drain fitting and tried to drain the oil again and only about a pint came out. Then I took the oil filter cover and filter out again and only a few onces more drained out with the filter/cover.

So now I'm wondering... where's the oil and why isn't it draining out?
Old 05-17-10, 07:39 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

i don't know what the drain fitting and check valve you are referring to (if you mean that clear plastic thingy comes with the oil filter, i believe it is used only for LS), but you first drain the oil through the plug, not through the filter.. look for DIY oil change in stickies (sub forum)..
Old 05-17-10, 10:27 AM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I just changed my oil yesterday. You have to drain the oil from the engine oil pan first, that's where about 6 quarts of oil come from. The plastic fitting that comes with the filter is used to drain the oil from the filter cover before you unscrew it to pull the filter out.

You don't have to use it, you can just unscrew the filter cover, just like you did. The only reason for the plastic thing is to avoid mess when that pint of oil dumps all over your hand.
Old 05-17-10, 02:40 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hahaha, I see someone have the same problem as me.

My Camry '07 V6 also have a filter with the drain hole. I open and expected rushing of oil too.. I couldn't figure out... Maybe somehow the oil were all burn...... so I pulled in 6 quat... than found the drain screw of the oil pan... OMG, it would have been horrible if I start the engine. I used another car to go buy new oil and come drain this 12 quart of oil.

It works fine without any problem.
Old 05-18-10, 06:46 AM
yasu
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Problem solved

Ahhhhh... I got it now
I guess I thought the drain hole and fitting on the oil filter housing was there to help neatly drain all of the oil from the engine and not just for the oil filter housing.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-18-10, 06:49 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yasu
Ahhhhh... I got it now
I guess I thought the drain hole and fitting on the oil filter housing was there to help neatly drain all of the oil from the engine and not just for the oil filter housing.

Thanks for the replies.
Strong candidate for having the oil & filter changed for u.