GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Another tire thread - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S + or Conti ExtremeContact DWS

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-10, 08:45 PM
DWNYC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another tire thread - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S + or Conti ExtremeContact DWS

There has been multiple threads on tires and I've checked tire rack to come up with these two based on noise and ride comfort, dry/wet traction, cornering stability, and wear. I have a set of snow tires for the winter so these will only see dry and we. I've looked at All Seasons since they tend to wear longer (thus no summers for me).

Any first hand experience or other suggestions? I've read positive things on here about the Michelins. I've had Pirelli Pzero Nero AS and GY Eagle F1 AS on my old car but they were a little loud but it was also on my 330i Sport. Damn, I still miss the way that car drove.
Old 04-05-10, 03:59 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have PILOT SPORT A/S awesome tire can't complain.
Old 04-05-10, 05:16 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Go with PS2's
Old 04-05-10, 05:56 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I ordered the continentals. They seem to be the best bang for the buck by far.
Old 04-05-10, 06:54 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

I've had Contis on my car for the last 6 weeks. Got to drive them in a slush and rain a lot. The performance has been phenomenal compared to all previous ultra-high performance all season tires I've had in the past (including the previous version of the Contis). They tires are also very cheap and come with very long tread life guarantee. I have experienced no flat-spotting issues unlike most other UHP tires I've had in the past.

The one negative that I will mention is that these tires are noisier than some I've had in the past. On a very high quality smooth pavement I can hear tire noise that I did not have with the crappy run-flats that came on my car. But to me that is a minor issue compared to the significant benefits of great performance, long life, and low cost.
Old 04-05-10, 07:31 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Modeler
The one negative that I will mention is that these tires are noisier than some I've had in the past. On a very high quality smooth pavement I can hear tire noise that I did not have with the crappy run-flats that came on my car. But to me that is a minor issue compared to the significant benefits of great performance, long life, and low cost.
Wow! This is the very first time I've ever heard of these things as being noisy. This is one the of the reasons why I'm getting them put on this afternoon! All the reviews and comments I've read on CL and Tirerack (and by Googling) have yielded 'quietness' as a quality! Ugh! I have Falken 452 and those things are SCREAMING loud so these DWS's have to be MUCH better.
Old 04-05-10, 07:37 AM
Coffee87
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. I think they are extremely quiet - I could hear a huge difference between the stock tires and the Conti's after I replaced them. Traction is amazing - I could even drive my RWD GS300 in the ice & snow during the winter. I got stuck trying to go up a hill with the stock tires. I would highly recommend the ExtremeContact DWS!
Old 04-05-10, 07:48 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TWong1200
Wow! This is the very first time I've ever heard of these things as being noisy. This is one the of the reasons why I'm getting them put on this afternoon! All the reviews and comments I've read on CL and Tirerack (and by Googling) have yielded 'quietness' as a quality! Ugh! I have Falken 452 and those things are SCREAMING loud so these DWS's have to be MUCH better.
Let me just clarify: I would not qualify these tires as "noisy", but they are definitely "noisier" than some tires I had. It is not overly intrusive, and some people may not even notice it, but I'm a freak when it comes to interior noises. I like my car super quiet. I very rarely listen to music when I drive, I just prefer the complete quiet.
Old 04-05-10, 11:56 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michelin's got my vote.

I got the Plus version of the Pilot Sport A/S. Love them.
Old 04-05-10, 12:15 PM
Coolpop
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had the Pilot Sport A/S Plus installed this morning and already I love em. Granted, I haven't had a chance to test them in the rain, but they are very very smooth and very very quiet.
Old 04-05-10, 01:58 PM
MrDC1000
Driver School Candidate

I just put an order in for the DWS in 245/40/18 formats, but the tire place said they could only get their hands on 245/45/18's.

Anyone see any issues with getting the 45's instead? The 40's are what came with the car.

Thanks
Old 04-05-10, 02:16 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDC1000
I just put an order in for the DWS in 245/40/18 formats, but the tire place said they could only get their hands on 245/45/18's.

Anyone see any issues with getting the 45's instead? The 40's are what came with the car.

Thanks
Not sure what tire shop you're trying but they do make the 245/40/18 size. I would steer away from the 45 series as I feel they are too 'fat' looking on the stock 18's. I'm getting mine installed in an hour. I hope they are everything I've been reading about (and more)!
Old 04-05-10, 02:23 PM
MrDC1000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TWong1200
Not sure what tire shop you're trying but they do make the 245/40/18 size. I would steer away from the 45 series as I feel they are too 'fat' looking on the stock 18's. I'm getting mine installed in an hour. I hope they are everything I've been reading about (and more)!
Actually, he said the 40's are on backorder with no ETA, but he can pull the 45's from the warehouse immediately.
Old 04-05-10, 02:42 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDC1000
Actually, he said the 40's are on backorder with no ETA, but he can pull the 45's from the warehouse immediately.
Yep, I waited too long and the 40s have been out of stock everywhere for months. Tire Rack has an ETA on them for next month but who knows if they just pulled that number out of a hat or what. I really don't want to go all summer without tires but everything else comparable treadwear etc. wise costs so much more and I can't justify it. One has to wonder how they could be so slow in getting product out especially one that they would sure to be selling a lot of...
Old 04-05-10, 06:28 PM
DWNYC
Rookie

Originally Posted by Modeler
Let me just clarify: I would not qualify these tires as "noisy", but they are definitely "noisier" than some tires I had. It is not overly intrusive, and some people may not even notice it, but I'm a freak when it comes to interior noises. I like my car super quiet. I very rarely listen to music when I drive, I just prefer the complete quiet.
Haha, you must be blessed with no interior rattles. I love my car but I can't seem to get Lexus to fix the driver door rattle when hitting bumps. Besides that, have small squeaks here and there that can be covered by music. Of course, I would love to turn music off sometimes and enjoy the ride but it's not like lexus engineers great sounding engines.

Quick Reply: Another tire thread - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S + or Conti ExtremeContact DWS