GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Were the F-sport sway noise issues fixed

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 08:04 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

400 people complaining about upgraded parts <<<<<<<<<<< 6M people complaining about possibly dying

Last edited by jtrue28; 02-09-10 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-09-10, 09:00 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
400 people complaining about upgraded parts <<<<<<<<<<< 6M people complaining about possibly dying
That's a media ****-up. Reality is 100 people complaining about unintended acceleration and 400 people complaining about noisy sways. And I bet most of that 100 have a floormat problem they caused themselves.
Old 02-09-10, 09:01 AM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the noise coming from the end links or squeaking noise from the bushings? If its from the bushings, I'm sure you can call up Energy suspension and have them make you bushings for the application. If its the end links, either buy new ones like the OP said.
Old 02-09-10, 10:22 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

it's definitely not a "squeaking" sound...it's a knocking sound.
Old 02-09-10, 10:40 AM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

hmm, it sounds like an end link is loose. If the end link is not tighten enough where it attaches to the control arm or the sway bar, under stress it will make a pop noise or knock sound. I had this same thing noise on my MkIV supra where I had ST sway bars. If I'm not mistaken, there is a fixed nut at the end link attached to the upper and lower part of the end link.

You would have to use a open ended wrench to hold that fixed nut while you tighten the nut going on the the thread to attach the sway bar. Hope that makes sense. Usually, if its not tighten enough there will bee free play in the end link attached to the sway bar, causing knocking. You have to make sure the nut attached to the sway bar is pass the threads and secure. Sometimes it might feel like it's attached on, but there can still be some free play.

One thing, whoever installed it should make sure WHOLE front end is up, not just 1 side jacked up. This will cause improper fitment to the sway bar on the end links.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-09-10, 11:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by ItsChris
hmm, it sounds like an end link is loose. If the end link is not tighten enough where it attaches to the control arm or the sway bar, under stress it will make a pop noise or knock sound. I had this same thing noise on my MkIV supra where I had ST sway bars. If I'm not mistaken, there is a fixed nut at the end link attached to the upper and lower part of the end link.

You would have to use a open ended wrench to hold that fixed nut while you tighten the nut going on the the thread to attach the sway bar. Hope that makes sense. Usually, if its not tighten enough there will bee free play in the end link attached to the sway bar, causing knocking. You have to make sure the nut attached to the sway bar is pass the threads and secure. Sometimes it might feel like it's attached on, but there can still be some free play.

One thing, whoever installed it should make sure WHOLE front end is up, not just 1 side jacked up. This will cause improper fitment to the sway bar on the end links.

Hope that helps.
the problem right now is not the bushing being too tight or anything. but it's the bushing having a lot of play causing the sway bar to swing left and right, causing the bushing to hit creating the sound. i think someone did measurement and the bushings seem to be 1/8" too narrow or something. i think some of them put some "spacers" or so and the noise went away

i have to be honest, i can't believe it takes them that long to get new bushings?
Old 02-09-10, 11:37 AM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
the problem right now is not the bushing being too tight or anything. but it's the bushing having a lot of play causing the sway bar to swing left and right, causing the bushing to hit creating the sound. i think someone did measurement and the bushings seem to be 1/8" too narrow or something. i think some of them put some "spacers" or so and the noise went away

i have to be honest, i can't believe it takes them that long to get new bushings?
Dang Rominal, if that's the case and I had F-sport sways, I would just call up Energy Suspension and see if they can match up those bushings and use theres.

I too have been waiting for a fix so I can buy the F-sport sways, but if thats the case what your saying, I would just get these:

http://energysuspension.com/products...-Bushings.html

Sucks, that you pay all this money for the F-sport bars and they aren't up to standard, but if this could be the fix, I'd do it.
Old 02-09-10, 11:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Dang Rominal, if that's the case and I had F-sport sways, I would just call up Energy Suspension and see if they can match up those bushings and use theres.

I too have been waiting for a fix so I can buy the F-sport sways, but if thats the case what your saying, I would just get these:

Sucks, that you pay all this money for the F-sport bars and they aren't up to standard, but if this could be the fix, I'd do it.
i personally actually don't have these sways, honestly i don't care that much about handling in my gs. but i do pay very close attention on this matter pretty much since day 1, mostly because most owners have the same complaint. i forgot who already but someone posted pictures of the bushings, the gap, and some rubber spacers, and the results. so i am just playing from memory.

i also think the sways have been a complete fail so far. first, they released a sway and never been able to confirm say if it works on the gs460 or not, that to me means bad r&d and planning. then with all the r&d, they had this big noise problem that should have been easily discovered. if it's manufacturing problem, then the quality control is very sub par. and finally, it's been so long and lexus has pretty much left the owners hanging on to their clunking sways, no updates, no new bushings, nothing. i for sure wouldn't be happy if i got these sways
Old 02-09-10, 12:05 PM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

yeah, your right rominl, I guess it does comes down if lexus really wants to satisfy there customers and there "dip" into the aftermarket world.

I did stumble across TRD Sway bars for the GS350 on a japan site. They are white. Unfortunately, when I looked at the pics they didn't come bushings or end links, just the bars themselves. I wonder if they are the same, or a direct OEM replacement.
Old 02-10-10, 06:21 AM
Gs350Lola
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well don't hold your breathe.... what I been reading and watching toyota first denied anything was wrong with any of there problems stuck gas pedal and prius brakes then after someone dead from it they made a move... soo im guessing... if these sways aren't ganna kill anyone or cause a media frenzy the'll put these problems in the junk box sigh i'm so dissatisfied with Lexus..... so much love gone out the door....
isn't there like a contact email for the person that runs the whole "problems" i tried to find it so i can email them bring up my problems to there attention
Old 02-10-10, 06:36 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This seems like a brilliant idea. One of the posters on the noise poll thread said that his dealer put in polyurethane bushings and it stopped the noise. I would guess these guys would do exactly that - supply higher quality polyurethane bushings to replace the loose rubber ones.