GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Can someone help me "Check VSC"

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-13, 03:36 PM
sutton57
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

The battery in my 2007 GS350 ran down, so I charged it up for a couple of hours. Afterwards I started it and took it for a drive. As usual, it went like gangbusters.... but only for about half a mile, at which time the CEL came on, the "Check VSC" message was displayed and the engine started running poorly. I limped back home, got out the code reader and saw I had codes indicating misfires in cylinders 1 and 6, plus random misfires. Strange, since the car has only 41,000 miles on it and ran perfectly before this. I found this forum, checked the gas cap (no discernible deformation of the o-ring), tightened it to one click, checked the oil dipstick (no problem there either) . So I cleared the codes and now it runs perfectly again.

How uncool is it for a car that listed at $50,000 when I bought it in Dec 2006 and has so few miles on it can be rendered unusable, presumably just by running the battery down?
Old 11-02-13, 10:38 PM
mIS
Rookie

I got a new gas cap at stealership for $25...worth it to me to just replace it. OR go buy a new o ring at home depot for $1.49, I guarantee they have that size and it's better than rigging it with electrical tape. My $0.02
Old 09-09-14, 06:10 PM
alamj2008
Driver School Candidate

To fix check VSC with engine and traction light on, you need to replace one of your Oxygen sensor. Either front or rear. Just go to any parts store, have them check the problem code, buy the sensor and take your car to a local mechanic they will fix for you. I just fix my problem today. That's how you save money not taking car to dealer. If any one get helped from this information, please share with others.Thanks
Old 02-02-18, 01:00 PM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have this issue, cant tell exactly what sensor is issue. What is this software you are using to check exactly what code? I have the OBD scanner app BlueDriver and can reset code as it comes on pretty often, I have replaced the Gas Cap already. What is the part number for the PCV valve? and what else can I check/how to check?

THX
Old 02-05-18, 09:44 AM
sutton57
Driver School Candidate

Default Check VSC

Originally Posted by whytry
I have this issue, cant tell exactly what sensor is issue. What is this software you are using to check exactly what code? I have the OBD scanner app BlueDriver and can reset code as it comes on pretty often, I have replaced the Gas Cap already. What is the part number for the PCV valve? and what else can I check/how to check?

THX
When I had this problem, my Lexus service people had cracked the insulator on one sparkplug. Replacing it solved the problem.
Old 02-08-18, 09:36 PM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sutton57
When I had this problem, my Lexus service people had cracked the insulator on one sparkplug. Replacing it solved the problem.
are you saying you also had the vsc warning light on and it was due to a cracked insulator on a spark plug? We're they replacing them when they cracked it?? I'm asking because my vsc light and engine light have been on since I replaced my spark plugs a little while back. I've checked all the electrical connections that I had to disconnect in order to replace the plugs, but still the lights are on. Disconnecting battery to re-set doesn't help either. Is there a chance I cracked one of mine?! I would hate to have to remove them all just to check that.
Old 02-12-18, 06:46 AM
sutton57
Driver School Candidate

Default VSC light caused by cracked spark plug

Originally Posted by gr8fulRed
are you saying you also had the vsc warning light on and it was due to a cracked insulator on a spark plug? We're they replacing them when they cracked it?? I'm asking because my vsc light and engine light have been on since I replaced my spark plugs a little while back. I've checked all the electrical connections that I had to disconnect in order to replace the plugs, but still the lights are on. Disconnecting battery to re-set doesn't help either. Is there a chance I cracked one of mine?! I would hate to have to remove them all just to check that.
Yes, that's right. Like others here, I replaced my gas cap in the hope that a leak was the problem. When it didn't go away I took it to the dealer, that had done recall-related repairs a few weeks earlier. They traced the problem to a single spark plug and found no other problems.

My best guess is that they cracked it while doing the recall work and subsequent vibration caused it to fail.

Good luck.
Old 02-12-18, 08:51 AM
Nazkamike
Driver School Candidate

Default hello

hello guys.
i know this is a old post, but i would need some help.

i just bought a few days ago a gs430. all nice!!!

this morning, when i started the engine, check vsc + check engine + yellow break sign remain lit.

i will try your recomandations, but at mine, the vsc does not work, the rear wheels slides when cornering. no other bad sounds.

can you give me a hint please!
Old 02-12-18, 08:56 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Nazkamike
hello guys.
i know this is a old post, but i would need some help.

i just bought a few days ago a gs430. all nice!!!

this morning, when i started the engine, check vsc + check engine + yellow break sign remain lit.

i will try your recomandations, but at mine, the vsc does not work, the rear wheels slides when cornering. no other bad sounds.

can you give me a hint please!
You must scan the car and get codes. There is no way to know otherwise.
Old 02-12-18, 09:26 AM
Nazkamike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gs350fan
You must scan the car and get codes. There is no way to know otherwise.
i'll do a scan with my obd tool. hope it will lead to something...
Old 02-12-18, 01:09 PM
LUX2006
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This happened after I seafoamed

i'll do a scan with my obd tool. hope it will lead to something...
I seafoam sprayed my 06 300 yesterday. And I did a burnout. It might have been caused by the burn out or something else. Performance is way better now. Rpms dropped. However I’ll have to examine if I damaged something while getting into the throttle body. Or maybe my neph by accident hit the vsc switch. If it’s cause of the burn out it’s my dumb fault. I couldn’t help it. Others say the 300 is weaker than the 350. It has surprised me. Could be a k&n filter or just how well the previous owner was to the car. I’ll hang on to it till it’s time for another.
Old 02-13-18, 01:37 AM
Nazkamike
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy hey

i ran a scan and showed following error codes:
p2401
p2402
p043e
p2419
something about:
EVAP System Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit High / Low
Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Reference Orifice Low Flow
Evaporative Emission System Switching Valve Control Circuit High / Low
is the switch valve stuck?
can it be replaced or entire pump?
Old 02-13-18, 08:43 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

i ran a scan and showed following error codes:
p2401
p2402
p043e
p2419
something about:
EVAP System Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit High / Low
Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Reference Orifice Low Flow
Evaporative Emission System Switching Valve Control Circuit High / Low
is the switch valve stuck?
can it be replaced or entire pump?
Clear the codes and see if it comes back, could be a glitch.

If not you are going to have to do some diagnosis.
There are cheap Toyota scan tools that can do tests, you may need a vacuum pump and smoke machine. You can command those modules on and check for voltage.

There could also be a wiring short or open somewhere to the pump or sensor.
Sometimes PCMs fail, I noticed on these cars they are in the engine compartment, not the worlds best place.
Maybe someone ran into these codes and can point you correctly.

If you don't have emissions tests, you can safely ignore these codes. They simply purge vapors from the tank.
Old 02-13-18, 08:48 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Also, this could be as simple as a bad gas cap or maybe you didn't tighten it right?
Old 02-13-18, 10:00 AM
Nazkamike
Driver School Candidate

Default hey

Originally Posted by gs350fan
Also, this could be as simple as a bad gas cap or maybe you didn't tighten it right?
is tighten alright and the o-ring is in good shape.

i cleared the error codes.

will wait and see if anything pops-up.
thanks guys, keep u posted!

Quick Reply: Can someone help me "Check VSC"