GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Can someone help me "Check VSC"

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-08, 09:38 AM
Mr.Wi66L3z
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone help me "Check VSC"

Hello everyone

Hi I'm a proud owner of the 3G GS300...But today my baby got it's check engine light on...followed by a Check VSC...Can someone explain to me what's going on and what I need to do to fix it?...

Thanks for all your help.
Old 08-21-08, 09:51 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

You would need to have the dealership read the code for the fault unfortunately. Usually when the check vsc light and the cel comes on, it's sometimes emissions system related.
Old 08-21-08, 10:01 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

it could be as simple as something just needing to be reset, but you have to take it in to know for sure.
Old 08-21-08, 10:02 AM
brownz
Driver

Is it accompanied with strange vibration? Does the car go limp?
Old 08-21-08, 10:26 AM
burr1t0
Driver School Candidate

its actually because of your parking brakes. look up "VSC" in the owners manual. I had the same problem when I didn't have my parking brake down far enough and my car started rolling back. I stepped on the brakes to stop it. After turning the engine on and off, fully pressing down the parking brakes and releasing it, and driving around the block it actually went away. This should eventually fix itself after a few drives. If it doesn't then you should bring it to the dealer.

Last edited by burr1t0; 08-21-08 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-21-08, 11:45 AM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by burr1t0
its actually because of your parking brakes. this is in the owners manual. I had the same problem when I didn't have my parking brake down far enough and my car started rolling back. this caused the error. After turning the engine on and off, fully pressing down the parking brakes and releasing it, and driving around the block it actually went away. This should eventually fix itself after a few drives. If it doesn't then you should bring it to the dealer.
Hmmmm
Old 09-15-08, 03:47 PM
rwww
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem this morning, the check engine light lit up, "Check VSC" displayed, traction light came on, took to the dealer, and it turned out to be a loose gas cap. Hope that's really what it is.....

Error code: 5118
Old 12-06-08, 11:48 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My car (06 GS430) began giving me more frequent "Check VSC" warnings. (Code P0455 in my case. Really glad I bought that OBDII tool--resetting the codes is a snap!)

I knew that a loose gas cap could cause this, so normally I just give it a twist and it tightens. Now I found that no matter how many "clicks" I tightened the gas cap, it would not cinch down snug. The lightest turn the opposite way would open it.

I was all set to head over to CarQuest for a replacement filler cap. But I thought I'd inspect mine first just to see why it stopped holding. Upon inspection, I saw that what holds the cap in place is compression of the rubber O-ring at the back of the cap, which compresses against the filler neck. That apparently was no longer happening.

I carefully removed the O-ring from the cap--using screwdrivers to lift it over the edge of the groove it sits in. Like removing a bike tire from the rim--work your way around. Then I cut a strip of electrical tape about 10" long, and 1/4" wide. I wound this into the curved groove where the O-ring normally sits, just to build up a little thickness. Put the O-ring back in place. Done.

Now the cap tightens like it's supposed to, and thus far, it has stopped the VSC error codes.

--ETA-- The tape worked and proved the issue was the cap loosing its grip. I highly recommend replacing the cap to remedy to issue. The tape is not a permanent solution.

Last edited by DrexLex; 11-28-13 at 06:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DrexLex:
diamente (05-27-18), LexNYC83 (04-23-19)
Old 03-16-09, 10:59 AM
jerry78
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brownz
Is it accompanied with strange vibration? Does the car go limp?

I have the same problem. The car does vibrate. Any idea what it is? Thanks.
Old 03-16-09, 11:08 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rwww
I had the same problem this morning, the check engine light lit up, "Check VSC" displayed, traction light came on, took to the dealer, and it turned out to be a loose gas cap. Hope that's really what it is.....

Error code: 5118
yup same thing happened to me after a week of having my car. take your gas cap off and put it back on.
Old 04-14-09, 09:53 AM
taylods
Driver School Candidate

Yahoo! Many thanks to DrexLex above who suggested the electrical tape idea. When I went to the dealership I was informed that the "Check VSC" light ALWAYS comes on with the Engine light, even though my engine light came on simply because the gas cap was malfunctioning. Remember... your gas cap shoud be clicked once clockwise. After you've done that, check to make sure you can rotate it about 45 degrees counterclockwise against the spring mechanism, without the cap opening. If the cap pops open, use the electrical tape idea & clean the o-ring prior to reattaching to the gas cap. I've now been 1 month and 4 fill-ups without any warning lights.
Old 04-14-09, 12:24 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are still under warranty, they will replace the gas cap for you. Same thing happened to me and they replaced mine.
Old 04-14-09, 01:30 PM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Folks - I hate to also mention that this condition can simply be a HIGH BEAM out or headlight bulb, etc. The check engine / VSC lights are an interesting combination and just tell you to take the car in...

Furthermore, I don't know why anyone would jury/jimmy rig a gas cap - it cannot be that expensive to replace and rather than electrical tape, would just buy a new one for safety purposes.
The following users liked this post:
Karpazoo (09-29-21)
Old 04-14-09, 02:47 PM
dcagber
Driver School Candidate

I had this happen after bringing my GS300 into the body shop to have the back bumper fixed after someone backed into me. I assumed it was a sensor issue with the bumper, but brought it into the shop (under warranty).

Turns out it is my exhaust valves, and they are going to replace them. They said it would take close to a week to get done. I also have some shimmying/shaking, so that is a good guess. Also, took them close to a week to diagnose the problem. It was nice that I had a loaner, but it was an RX, and I don't like driving the SUVs.
Old 04-17-09, 12:29 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeladisky
I don't know why anyone would jury/jimmy rig a gas cap - it cannot be that expensive to replace and rather than electrical tape, would just buy a new one for safety purposes.
Because the electrical tape fix is essentially free, and moreover, it works perfectly. Have you priced a Lexus gas cap? And what's to prevent it from suffering the same fate as the original? It's the same design, no? So far, 4 months and no false warning. Bliss.

But hey, no one is forcing you to jury-rig anything. It's just an easy trick to solve a frustrating problem.

Quick Reply: Can someone help me "Check VSC"