GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Can someone help me "Check VSC"

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-09, 12:07 PM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrexLex
Because the electrical tape fix is essentially free, and moreover, it works perfectly. Have you priced a Lexus gas cap? And what's to prevent it from suffering the same fate as the original? It's the same design, no? So far, 4 months and no false warning. Bliss.

But hey, no one is forcing you to jury-rig anything. It's just an easy trick to solve a frustrating problem.
Hey - I hear ya... but the risk of the electrical tape coming loose and falling into the tank is too risky... I wouldn't want to take that risk and cause other probs. Gasoline fumes and gasoline in general have a strange effect on adhesives, in fact, Gasoline or other petroleum distollates are commonly used to REMOVE adhesive... so, using something with adhesive, in or around gasoline, isn't my idea of a "fix."

Lee
Old 04-17-09, 10:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

very common problem with the 3GS is for this to happen if you didnt twist your gas cap all the way on when you last filled the car up. Take it to the dealership. They will read the code and reset everything. It should be no issue
Old 04-18-09, 02:50 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeladisky
Hey - I hear ya... but the risk of the electrical tape coming loose and falling into the tank is too risky... I wouldn't want to take that risk and cause other probs. Gasoline fumes and gasoline in general have a strange effect on adhesives, in fact, Gasoline or other petroleum distollates are commonly used to REMOVE adhesive... so, using something with adhesive, in or around gasoline, isn't my idea of a "fix."
I'm sorry if my description was not too clear. The tape is not held in place by the adhesive, but by the O-ring which squeezes it tight. The tape's adhesive is not needed once the O-ring is in place, but it's convenient to use tape instead of plain plastic as it holds itself in place until the O-ring can be reinstalled over it. If someone is worried about the adhesive, another material can be used in its place--or see if the dealer will replace the cap under warranty. My car was over 2 years old before the problem appeared--not a warranty item.

Last edited by DrexLex; 04-18-09 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-01-12, 01:59 PM
thebriguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Cap O-Ring

Have you tried just flipping the O-Ring over. I've done this in some other applications and it usually works because the back has not been indented the same way as the front. It would probably work for a while or at least let you know if that's the problem or not.
Old 12-03-12, 03:46 AM
taylods
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeladisky
I don't know why anyone would jury/jimmy rig a gas cap - it cannot be that expensive to replace and rather than electrical tape, would just buy a new one for safety purposes.

Maybe Leeladisky is right, except he Electrical tape idea has worked for 4 years for me! Maybe I should change the tape though.

I tried to purchace a new cap originally, but the cap didn't match my year of car, so didn't fit at all. Hmmm
Thanks again, DrexLax.
Old 12-03-12, 12:40 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

I did eventually buy the replacement gas cap, as the gas fumes degraded the adhesive and the tape would come loose. Didn't want it getting lost inside the fuel tank. The new cap works fine, as does the new one for my '06 4Runner which developed the exact same problem. Funny how the "simple" things can become a nuisance.
Old 12-27-12, 10:28 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

My car (06 GS430) began giving me more frequent "Check VSC" warnings. (Code P0455 in my case. Really glad I bought that OBDII tool--resetting the codes is a snap!)

I knew that a loose gas cap could cause this, so normally I just give it a twist and it tightens. Now I found that no matter how many "clicks" I tightened the gas cap, it would not cinch down snug. The lightest turn the opposite way would open it.

I was all set to head over to CarQuest for a replacement filler cap. But I thought I'd inspect mine first just to see why it stopped holding. Upon inspection, I saw that what holds the cap in place is compression of the rubber O-ring at the back of the cap, which compresses against the filler neck. That apparently was no longer happening.

I carefully removed the O-ring from the cap--using screwdrivers to lift it over the edge of the groove it sits in. Like removing a bike tire from the rim--work your way around. Then I cut a strip of electrical tape about 10" long, and 1/4" wide. I wound this into the curved groove where the O-ring normally sits, just to build up a little thickness. Put the O-ring back in place. Done.

Now the cap tightens like it's supposed to, and thus far, it has stopped the VSC error codes.
Thanks for the tip! I had my gas cap replaced a few years ago, but just got the error code and checked the cap again and as expected, it would not tighten no matter how much I tried. Followed your tip and put the electrical tape in the groove. I actually took the whole white assembly out after I took off the o-ring just to get better access. Same principle as removing the o-ring... just pry it out slowly at each of the little tabs. I used the same size strip of electrical tape as you and it fit perfectly. Replaced the o-ring, snapped the white assembly back into the cap and now it tightens like new.

I still have the VSC and warning light, but I will drive it around for a couple of days to see if it goes away on its own. I don't want to disconnect the battery because I want to see if the car will recognize the problem is fixed, and also to make sure that it's not something else. I doubt it is anything else, though, since the gas cap was clearly not tightening before I fixed it.

It took all of 3 minutes to complete this. Anyone can do it.
Old 12-28-12, 12:50 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

^^ Just keep an eye in that tape. I found over time that the gas fumes attacked the adhesive, so it just became a strip of plastic held by the O ring. It can eventually work its way out of the groove. Here in Oregon we cannot pump our own gas so I had to make a point of checking it periodically. I decided to buy a new cap after I discovered the tape migrating, and of course that also worked fine. Had to do the same for my '06 4Runner, too!

I think the failure mechanism is not the O ring wearing out, but the "ears" on the white part that cinch under the tabs on the filler neck. As those wear down due to friction, the cap cannot seal tightly anymore.
Old 02-03-13, 11:16 AM
IS220dPT
Driver School Candidate

Default Check VSC

Hi guys,

First of all as this is my first post I would like to introduce myself. My name is Simão and I own a 2006 IS220d Luxury 28.

I guess this a particularly interesting topic for those who own a Lexus as this error could mean anywhere from an expensive visit to the shop or could barely mean nothing.

My car as been always assisted at Lexus and so for I had the error twice. First time the car got into limp mode some time after I noted some power issues at low rev´s and some extra fuel consumption.

Took it to Lexus here in Lisbon, had an EGR and DPF regeneration, both units tested OK. Payed 98€ and as an advice was told to avoid always driving in urban circuits. I have a Smart Fortwo also, so no problem

The second time happened three days ago and was kind of curious. Just had switched D4S bulbs and was taking the car to a night drive when the dreaded Check VSC appeared. .
Well, oil level was ok, cooling liquid ok, there were no notable leaks, engine was working smoothly, no notable lose of power or extra consumption. Then I remembered, while in the process of changing the bulbs I clipped the oil dripstick inadvertably with my elbow. I thought "naaaa couldn´t be", took it out and put it back in place and guess what: error dissapeared.

Just got home from a 600 km weekend trip. Car doing 6,4 litres/100km avg 120-130 km/h so far so good

Sorry about my English as it´s not my native language

Cheers,
Simão
Old 02-04-13, 04:24 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

^^ Just keep an eye in that tape. I found over time that the gas fumes attacked the adhesive, so it just became a strip of plastic held by the O ring. It can eventually work its way out of the groove. Here in Oregon we cannot pump our own gas so I had to make a point of checking it periodically. I decided to buy a new cap after I discovered the tape migrating, and of course that also worked fine. Had to do the same for my '06 4Runner, too!

I think the failure mechanism is not the O ring wearing out, but the "ears" on the white part that cinch under the tabs on the filler neck. As those wear down due to friction, the cap cannot seal tightly anymore.
DrexLex,

The fix ended up not working for more than a couple of weeks. The light came back on. Surprisingly, the cap still seemed to have a good seal. Before I "fixed" it, it wouldn't even screw down properly. Anyways, I just went to the dealer$hip here in Germany and overpaid them for a new ga$ cap. It was like 40 euros after my discounts were applied! Problem solved though.
Old 02-04-13, 04:47 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

the gas cap is like $25, you drive a lexus, dont be cheap.
The following users liked this post:
Karpazoo (09-29-21)
Old 02-06-13, 10:15 AM
Wings34
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mr.Wi66L3z
Hello everyone

Hi I'm a proud owner of the 3G GS300...But today my baby got it's check engine light on...followed by a Check VSC...Can someone explain to me what's going on and what I need to do to fix it?...

Thanks for all your help.
Had the exact same problem. Most likely a bad gas cap. Just replace it ($10-$12) bucks and that will probably do it. If not, you can rule it out and still have a new cap which you would need eventually anyway.
Old 04-14-13, 10:11 PM
Evakovic
Driver School Candidate

Default problem : Vsc light by GS 300 year 2006

what can i do now? can u show me some solution. i can do it by myself. pl
Old 04-15-13, 09:33 PM
AustinSBP
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

did you ever do a code scan on it?
Old 04-22-13, 02:59 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

you can go to like an auto zone or pep boys they will read the code for free, and tell u wat its related too, to reset it they will sometimes do it for uu if not just take off the negative battery terminal then put it back this will reset it

Quick Reply: Can someone help me "Check VSC"