GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Cost of replacement windshield? Nope, more!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-07, 06:26 PM
TIMSGS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of replacement windshield? Nope, more!!

I picked up a nasty freeway stone that caused a very small chip in the lower front portion of my windshield that has now grown 3" line extensions on either side of the chip. Went to Mission Viejo Lexus to price out a replacement thinking that I would have to foot the whole bill given that I have high deductibles ($1K) on my insurance to keep the rates down a tad.

$1,600 smack aroos!! They said because I had Rain-Sensing Wipers and the Adaptive Front Lighting System it was a unique one? The rain sensing wipers I can understand but what the hell does the adaptive front headlights have to do with my windshield? They told me that they only had two of this type of windshield in the whole country and to forget about trying to find a replacement windshield somewhere else as the 3rd party companies would have to source it from Lexus giving its uniqueness.

Man Oh Man!! I love my Lex, but $1,600 for a windshield? Guess if you 'gonna run with the big dogs 'ya gotta pay the big bucks?
Old 01-14-07, 07:35 PM
LVLEXUS
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wow

They are RIPPING you off!
Old 01-14-07, 07:39 PM
LexusLst07
Driver School Candidate

Yes, you are getting ripped off.

I was able to find one for around 1,000. The stuff about your AVS is pure and utter BS!!!!

I would tell him to $%^& off and go find someone else.
Old 01-14-07, 08:11 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I will say this, though. Don't put in an aftermarket windshield. I had quite an experience this past summer in my 2GS with PPG. After my original "Toyota" stamped windshield was cracked by a rock in May, my insurance company convinced me that PPG is exactly the same as Lexus/Toyota glass but for the name that's stamped in the lower left or right corner. I am speaking from first hand experience when I tell you that boy were they ever wrong. The first PPG windshield had a bad area of distortion in the lower right hand corner. Technically, it was out of my line of sight, but my original Toyota windshield never had any distortion, so I asked that it be replaced. The second windshield (also a PPG) had so many waves in it that you could surf on it. My insurance company assured me that the PPG glass rolls off the same assembly line as the "Lexus" or "Toyota" stamped glass. Okay, insurance company, I did it your way the first two times, now it's my turn to do it my way. The third windshield to go in was a "Lexus" windshield. It is perfect. Not a hint of distortion anywhere. It ended up costing me $500 (my deductible), plus a lot of research, time and hassle, but in the end, it finally got done correctly.

The moral -- insist on Lexus glass. In my experience, there is a difference.

e
Old 01-15-07, 07:35 AM
LVLEXUS
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get ONLY Lexus genuie windshield. You will not regret it! My insurance company did not even bat an eyelash when I insisted on ONLY Lexus windshield as THE ONLY REPLACEMENT. Had dealer install it through a subcontractor. Plus I had no DEDUCTIBLE
Old 01-15-07, 12:38 PM
leestoy
Driver

I Guess It Depends On What Insurance Company You Have But You Better Check Because Typically There Shouldn't Even Be A Deductible On Windshields.... Just My $.02
Old 01-15-07, 01:25 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by leestoy
I Guess It Depends On What Insurance Company You Have But You Better Check Because Typically There Shouldn't Even Be A Deductible On Windshields.... Just My $.02
depends on the state where you live. in florida, youre correct, but not the case elsewhere
Old 01-15-07, 01:35 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

just got the windshield on my GX replaced mobile today. They came out to my house to replace.
I paid 0.00, but he showed me the invoice and it said 1450.00 for a GS Lexus windshield with rain sensors.
damn good thing I have insurance...
Old 01-15-07, 09:05 PM
ajcsanders
Driver

I was quoted $750 by my dealer here in Kuwait about 11 months ago. In my experience prices for cars & parts are cheaper in the US! Whoever said the swivelling lights being related to the windshield is an idiot or a BFL!

Last time I got a stone chip, after the first night it spread to 3 inches on either side, then after the second night it turned into a huge arch that spread all the way to the edge of the windshield. My solution to the problem was a little more extreme - I just replaced the whole car !

Have you thought about getting a 2nd-hand windshield from anywhere?
Old 01-16-07, 08:59 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TIMSGS350
I picked up a nasty freeway stone that caused a very small chip in the lower front portion of my windshield that has now grown 3" line extensions on either side of the chip. Went to Mission Viejo Lexus to price out a replacement thinking that I would have to foot the whole bill given that I have high deductibles ($1K) on my insurance to keep the rates down a tad.

$1,600 smack aroos!! They said because I had Rain-Sensing Wipers and the Adaptive Front Lighting System it was a unique one? The rain sensing wipers I can understand but what the hell does the adaptive front headlights have to do with my windshield? They told me that they only had two of this type of windshield in the whole country and to forget about trying to find a replacement windshield somewhere else as the 3rd party companies would have to source it from Lexus giving its uniqueness.

Man Oh Man!! I love my Lex, but $1,600 for a windshield? Guess if you 'gonna run with the big dogs 'ya gotta pay the big bucks?
How does the adaptive front lighting system work? Does it project any image onto the windshield like the night vision on the LX?

The rain sensing wipers are BS. Next to the rear view mirror, there's square "pad" stuck to the windshield. This is a special rain sensing tape that goes between the rain sensor and glass. I had the windshield replaced on my LX last October...$1K, genuine lexus glass at Scottsdale Lexus, including replacing the mouldings (one-time use items), rivets (LX only, I think), and rain sensing tape. List on the rain sensing tape was $28 or so, mouldings around $35, $4 for rivets, $650 or so for the glass, about $230 for labor. OTOH, if you have the LX w/ night vision, the glass alone is $3K!!! The night vision projects the infrared image onto the windshield like a heads-up display on a fighter plane. The glass where the image is projected is a specially coated optical glass, so it costs like as if it were for a fighter plane.

I would expect a GS windshield to cost about the same as a LX windshield. My insurance covered it 100% (not covered under comprehensive in AZ, but separate glass coverage, so I can run a higher comprehensive deductible). BTW, the service at Lexus Mission Viejo is reputed to suck (but prices on new cars are very good), at least this is what some LX owners in So. CA say.

PS: have the dealer do the work and use OEM lexus glass. The glass is hydrophobic (repels water), thicker than even toyota glass, insulates from noise better. When replacing the windshield, the interior headliner and coverings on A pillar need to be removed. On the LX, there are grab handles there w/ plastic covers over the bolt holes. If you don't have the special tools and use a screwdriver, you'll mess up the covers. The dealer that did mine did a good job. I wouldn't let any glass shop do the work. The dealer will usually contract out the labor to a certain glass shop to do their work, so that shop is familiar w/ working on lexus windshields (the LX windshield is unique in that is uses rivets on the outside; I've heard of stories of glass shops unfamiliar with the vehicle trying to hammer and pry the rivets off and ding the metal/paint! Also, get it done on a warm day. At about 80 F, the vehicle needs to sit for about 3-4 hrs before being driven. If it's like 60F, you'll have to wait all day. After that, you need to crack your window or sunroof to release the pressure when closing the door since these cars are very airtight.

Last edited by V8_Fan; 01-16-07 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-16-07, 09:05 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

at least it's cheaper than the HUD windshield in my 550i.
I was shown the invoice from the installer and it showed the BMW windshield cost 1700.00.
I paid 0.00. glad I have insurance...
Old 01-18-07, 10:02 AM
jiggawho0o
Driver School Candidate

Same windshield problem happened to me, umm Sacramento Lexus quoted me 1200$ if that helps. I'm still refusing to pay that much for a windshield, but if you cant find a lower quote, the Sac guy did quote me 1200 for my '06 GS300 with rain sensing wipers.
Old 01-18-07, 10:18 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jiggawho0o
Same windshield problem happened to me, umm Sacramento Lexus quoted me 1200$ if that helps. I'm still refusing to pay that much for a windshield, but if you cant find a lower quote, the Sac guy did quote me 1200 for my '06 GS300 with rain sensing wipers.
do you not have it somehow covered in your car insurance?
either a deduct, or a higher premium or something?
I would never drive in CO, where I live without making sure it was covered.
Luckily for me, with State Farm, it's completely covered. About 60/year for the coverage.

Worth every penny.

Good luck.
Old 01-19-07, 03:54 PM
Loce
Driver School Candidate

Man insurance companies are a trip . They tried the same ***** with me. " oh the windshields are same". Well since they are the same, give me the lexus part sucka. What, Am I here to save them money? Getdafugouttahere!

Mercury Insurance- Yeah it is run by aliens.