GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

LED Trunk Lights Hack

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-06, 05:16 PM
kuch123
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking LED Trunk Lights Hack

Not sure what everyone else thinks, but i found the stock trunk light a bit dim and useless for the back end of the trunk.. so, staying consistent with the Lexus LED theme, i thought i'd brighten things up a bit

I went with two of the ALM-x6 modules from this page:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini_tubes.htm

Now that i look around the site more, there may be some better options for even more light or better placement.. but i'm satisfied with my current results.. I just ran the wires through the cover and over to the original trunk light and tapped into it such that the switch also controls the LEDs and the LEDs shut off automatically like the stock light.. I placed the LEDs right in the two recessed areas where there are clips to secure the cover. A very clean install.. looks stock.. Took about 1.5hr just because i spent a lot of time exploring my options.. now i'm curious where else i can cleanly add some more LEDs. foot wells, etc.. would love to find a way to add a strip of white LEDs under the car (doors) on the outside of the car that turn on/off with the LEDs under the outside mirrors. Nice thing about the LEDs is they use so little energy, I don't see a problem tapping them in to just about any power source, switched or not..

Looks like they have replacements for the original trunk light bulb as well.. gotta get that now so they match
http://www.superbrightleds.com/festoon.html
Old 12-26-06, 05:24 PM
3m ta3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good. nice and clean
Old 12-26-06, 05:51 PM
larrs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Very nice!
Old 12-26-06, 07:28 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Very nice job. One of those things that those engineers at Lexus overlooked...
Old 12-26-06, 08:07 PM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Cool mod.!
Old 12-26-06, 08:21 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Now there's a bright idea.
Old 12-27-06, 09:04 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

I was just thinking about the same mod. I have a pair of these that I used on my Acura before..

http://www.case-mod.com/store/12in-d...ite-p-620.html

These are used for computer cases and they do not draw lots of power. I used it to add light under dashboard and under front seats. However, there is a transformer and I need to find a place to hide it.
Was it difficult to tap into the existing light fixture?
Old 12-27-06, 01:13 PM
kuch123
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GreatSmile
I was just thinking about the same mod. I have a pair of these that I used on my Acura before..

http://www.case-mod.com/store/12in-d...ite-p-620.html

These are used for computer cases and they do not draw lots of power. I used it to add light under dashboard and under front seats. However, there is a transformer and I need to find a place to hide it.
Was it difficult to tap into the existing light fixture?
Nope, it just pops out, there is also an access panel right below it so you don't even need to rip out the trunk side & top panels. I connected to the metal parts on each end of the light module that switch connects of disconnects.. its a very simplistic switching mechanism.. the automatic on/off is controlled elsewhere, probably by a relay by the fuse box or something so you can even just tap the wires directly if you don't care if the switch controls the added lighting.
Old 12-27-06, 07:55 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

That looks great, you can get a 31mm festoon LED bulb for the side bulb, or better yet get a 36mm single 1watt LED and it will be pretty bright, youll need to mod the mount a bit but it is possible for sure. Nice job
Old 12-27-06, 08:50 PM
toyemp
Pole Position

I've tried the 31mm festoon bulb and it's too large. You can make it fit but then the on/off switch doesn't work anymore. I think a T-8/28mm bulb will fit better but I've been unable to find anyone who makes an LED bulb in that size. Polarg makes a T8 bluish-white bulb that I've been meaning to pick up and try but haven't gotten around to it.

EDIT

link to Polarg bulb http://www.automotivelightingusa.com...roducts_id=546

Last edited by toyemp; 12-27-06 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-27-06, 09:37 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by toyemp
I've tried the 31mm festoon bulb and it's too large. You can make it fit but then the on/off switch doesn't work anymore. I think a T-8/28mm bulb will fit better but I've been unable to find anyone who makes an LED bulb in that size. Polarg makes a T8 bluish-white bulb that I've been meaning to pick up and try but haven't gotten around to it.

EDIT

link to Polarg bulb http://www.automotivelightingusa.com...roducts_id=546

Just bend the moving side of the contacts using needlenose pliers, in a V so as to increase the distance from one side to the other. I was looking at that today and figure you can probably get a 36mm in there as well but that would probably mess up the switch mechanism, not a big deal for me since it is always on anyways (since it shuts off automatically w/o touching switch)
Old 12-27-06, 10:57 PM
toyemp
Pole Position

Yes, I did bend the contacts to get the 31mm in there but since the switch is more of a rocker-mechanism that moves the bulb from side-to-side, it wouldn't rock properly any more. I like being able to turn it on & off so I ended up putting the original bulb back in until I can find a better solution.
Old 01-11-07, 07:31 PM
yon
Driver

Question Mounting technique?

Originally Posted by kuch123
I placed the LEDs right in the two recessed areas where there are clips to secure the cover. A very clean install.. looks stock.. Took about 1.5hr just because i spent a lot of time exploring my options..
Quick question: how did you attach the LEDs? I just ordered them, and they appear to have two holes which could be used for screw-mounting. Did you find some appropriately-sized screws that would hold in the clips? Or did you just velcro the units onto the clips?
Old 01-11-07, 09:32 PM
kuch123
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yon
Quick question: how did you attach the LEDs? I just ordered them, and they appear to have two holes which could be used for screw-mounting. Did you find some appropriately-sized screws that would hold in the clips? Or did you just velcro the units onto the clips?
I just used the included screws and screwed it right into the 'fuz' covered plastic cover.. the screws are small so it worked perfectly. No predrilling needed, just apply enough pressure to start the screw..
Old 01-12-07, 06:55 AM
yon
Driver

Default no screws...

Urk... mine didn't come with screws! Any idea as to the size/type of screws? Maybe I'll head down to Home Depot and see what kind of sheet-metal screws they have that would fit...

Quick Reply: LED Trunk Lights Hack