GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Wht do you consider the GS as? A sports car/Luxury?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-06, 08:35 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wht do you consider the GS as? A sports car/Luxury?

What do you think? I always liked the looks but the only people I see driving it in Hawaii are old people.
Is it a Luxury sports car? A turing car? If so, what's a IS sedan? A sports car? If so, besides us being bigger, we have almost the same size engine and we can hit 0-60 with the best of them.
What's funny, with all these young people with modded Civics, I should still rip most of them apart with this car. You can only do so much with a engine that could only do 0-60 in about 8.3sec. Hehe. The GS reminds me of cop cars. Its big yet, it move alot faster than you think.
Old 12-14-06, 09:44 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default How about...

a Luxury Rocket
Old 12-14-06, 09:50 PM
LexFather

Its always been a luxury sports sedan, leaning towards luxury. You can make it sportier if you want. The aftermarket loves it and just look at this thread with all these modded GSs!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173504
Old 12-16-06, 10:35 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

one of the best mixures of both luxury and sportiness in all the cars around.
a little to soft for me, don't mind same interior luxury, with a little harder, even better than the existing ****. I prefer even a slight bit stiffer ride when on sport VERY satisfied though. nice mix.

Last edited by Jace7; 12-16-06 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-17-06, 03:58 PM
gs400dave
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Third generation is definitely a luxury car, there's nothing sporty about it.

As a 1998 GS owner, I eagerly awaited the third generation. How fast would it be? What kind of bold statement would they make with the styling this time? The GS was the Lexus with Attitude.

When I saw one in the showroom for the first time, I was disappointed. It no longer has attitude - it has dadmobile written all over it. I looked up the specs - it's not any faster than the LS.

This car does not command the attention that Gen II did. It doesn't make a statement, it blends in. I'm bored.
Old 12-17-06, 04:15 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Cool

Originally Posted by gs400dave

As a 1998 GS owner, I eagerly awaited the third generation. How fast would it be? What kind of bold statement would they make with the styling this time? The GS was the Lexus with Attitude.

When I saw one in the showroom for the first time, I was disappointed. It no longer has attitude - it has dadmobile written all over it. I looked up the specs - it's not any faster than the LS.

This car does not command the attention that Gen II did. It doesn't make a statement, it blends in. I'm bored.
YAWN.
It's an awesome car. I drive the 450h and a 550i. I love my GS!!!!
Old 12-17-06, 05:41 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess the 430 feels sportier cause it's quicker than my 300. I still wouldn't call it a sport sedan. It's too big and lanky. Feels heavy too.
On the other hand, I drive a sprt natured car so comparing it to that is wide gap. I'm not claiming the G35 is some awesome sports car but it feels ready to run. It has that athlete twitch like a sports car should. That means it's always ready to play, run or jump into action. The GS doesn't feel like that. It's very capable and feels sportier at high speed on the interstate but twisting and turning and weaving, naw....no sport car by any means.
Old 12-17-06, 05:43 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

To each their own. Having driven both the 2nd gen and 3rd gen GS, I love the new looks and the power that comes with the new GS350.

Originally Posted by gs400dave

Old 12-17-06, 05:56 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I will get crapped on for this, but I do not consider the 3rd gen to be a sports sedan. It's marketed as one, but not really a sports sedan, nor does it drive like one. It has the capability of being fast, but thats only one tiny part of the equation. It has RWD, a V8 (gs430), but so does a Ford Crown victoria. The steering, handling, etc does not warrant it to be a sports sedan. True you can modify your car to drive like one, but it doesn't make the car a sports sedan (at least from the factory).

Lexus makes fine luxury cars, but my guess is that they decided the 3rd gen should be about luxury. Hel|, the LS460 is quicker than the GS430, and basically drives like one, but its no sport sedan

It's marketing I tell you. Now if Lexus stiffened up the steering a bit more, and added LSD from the factory, then at least it would have been a contender in the sports sedan category.
Old 12-17-06, 06:18 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a sports luxury, take it or leave it In my humble opinion, you want a sporties ride you get IS. You want luxurious soft floaty ride you get ES or LS. GS is a perfect blend of both.
Old 12-17-06, 07:13 PM
LexFather

Some of you are making statements and have not pushed the car. I've pushed 1/2/3 GS and the 3GS is a sports sedan. It handles LIKE a modded 2GS stock. To ME the main issue is the steering and lack of feel. THe car never feels truly sloppy at any time.

Hell, slap some perfomance tires on the GS for one, and it can turn into a different beast.

Let alone the now optional ****.

There are GSs (hybrids) being raced, we have members taking it to the track, how is that NOT a sports sedan?

If you want a M5, get a M5. The GS will not be that.
Old 12-20-06, 05:38 PM
hyper46
Driver School Candidate

well silver to me lexus is correct, they state the car as a performance luxury car. your statement is true though in Hawaii there are a lot of "older" people driving them, but i guess we have to remember that it is a higher priced vehicle. on the other hand i do hear of a lot of younger people who are interesed in the vehicle, escpecially with the whole vip status getting even bigger in hawaii. so i guess getting back on track this car is considered a luxury car first yet can still be as fun to drive as all the others.